Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ziad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
What is the easiest way of installing Office 2011 on the macbook air ?? ,
I saw that you can Download a free trial from the Office website ... but I am wondering if the CD comes with a serial number that I can enter to activate after the trial ends !!!

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
One of my roomies here on base bought the hard copy version of Office For Mac, and mentioned it came with the activation code in the box. I don't recall if I he used it on the trial itself, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, either way the product was purchased.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Why don't you just buy it from http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy ? It's a digital download of a .dmg file you install directly.

Or you can buy it on amazon for 99 bucks and take your air to an apple store and ask if you can use their optical drive at the genius bar. Make an appointment.

ecib

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I saw that you can Download a free trial from the Office website ... but I am wondering if the CD comes with a serial number that I can enter to activate after the trial ends !!!

I know some people need the full functionality of MS Office Suite, but have you looked at Open Office, which is free?

http://www.openoffice.org/

One of the first things I did upon getting my MBA was set about researching how to get all of my business applications up and going on my Mac so I could take my work home with me (I've a Windows machine at work). I didn't want ANY issues with countability of files, etc.

I installed Open Office to tide me over until I could get a copy of MS Office. 8 months later, I'm drafting proposals and doing spreadsheet quotes in Open Office, opening and editing .doc and .xls files in the evening that I started work on my Windows machine during the day.

It just turns out that I don't need MS Office. Open Office lets you save your docs as MS files etc.

Anyway, it's just a thought. May turn out to be all you need, and save you some $$$

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
India
I know some people need the full functionality of MS Office Suite, but have you looked at Open Office, which is free?

http://www.openoffice.org/

One of the first things I did upon getting my MBA was set about researching how to get all of my business applications up and going on my Mac so I could take my work home with me (I've a Windows machine at work). I didn't want ANY issues with countability of files, etc.

I installed Open Office to tide me over until I could get a copy of MS Office. 8 months later, I'm drafting proposals and doing spreadsheet quotes in Open Office, opening and editing .doc and .xls files in the evening that I started work on my Windows machine during the day.

It just turns out that I don't need MS Office. Open Office lets you save your docs as MS files etc.

Anyway, it's just a thought. May turn out to be all you need, and save you some $$$

Tried Open Office on my windows laptop [yet to get my air], and I lose formatting. For example, I have excel spreadsheets with headers and footers, but they disappear when I open and print with Open Off or LibreOffice. It's there when I see the header, but not there in print preview or the final print.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Yes. You can download the trial from ms, install it and then enter the serial number that came with the DVD. That's exactly what I have done.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Or you can buy it on amazon for 99 bucks and take your air to an apple store and ask if you can use their optical drive at the genius bar. Make an appointment.

Never knew you can do that... I suppose it should have been obvious really that Apple stores will let you use their Air Superdrives for free. lol :D

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011

Yup that's exactly how it works ... activate it once your serial number arrives no need to wait until trial period is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.