PDA

View Full Version : Creating a bootable winXP usb with a macbook air.

orfeas0
Nov 16, 2011, 06:10 AM
I posted this in the windows on mac forum too but it seems deserted, and I really need help, so here it is:

I have a macbook air and I don't have the external dvd drive.
I need to make a bootable usb key with windows xp from OSX lion.
I have the iso. Is the disk utility able to do that? I tried using boot camp but it ruined 1 of my USBs, but let's not talk about that.

So, is there a way to make a bootable windows XP USB drive? ANd then install it in boot camp?

I googled about it and couldn't find anything...

Oli3000
Nov 16, 2011, 06:12 AM
I remember attempting this.

I eventually ended up burning the iso to a disk and borrowing a friends external DVD drive. Was just a lot easier!

orfeas0
Nov 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
I remember attempting this.

I eventually ended up burning the iso to a disk and borrowing a friends external DVD drive. Was just a lot easier!

Problem is I don't know anyone with an external drive... And I'm not gonna buy one just to install windows...

johnhurley
Nov 16, 2011, 07:11 AM
I have the iso. Is the disk utility able to do that? I tried using boot camp but it ruined 1 of my USBs, but let's not talk about that.

Sorry but boot camp cannot "ruin" a USB drive.

USB drives are hardware and boot camp is software. You can use software to re partition and re format hardware. Lots of different utilities that one can use to re partition and re format a USB drive either under mac os x or under windows.

At times using software may cause changes to a USB drive that look like it has been altered permanently but under the covers ... unless the hardware has really gone south ( which software cannot do ) ... there should be some way of starting over.

If you are still wanting to see if your flash drive has hardware problems or not I would give a shot to using disk utility and starting over on your flash drive. Delete all the partitions and re format it first into ( GUID Partition Table Partition Map Scheme ) and then eject it and stick it back in and then re format it entirely into exFAT or just FAT32 ( Master Boot Record Partition Map Scheme ).

Do some googling on slipstreaming drivers into a win xp install disk?

antonis
Nov 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
You should be able to do that using the dd command from terminal. Don't try it, though, if you are not familiar with terminal and how the devices are supposed to look there, or you could end up burning onto the wrong device.

I've done it with an ubuntu linux iso and worked just fine.

snowwhite007
Nov 16, 2011, 07:23 AM
buy an xbox 360 external drive can get them for about 10 now

orfeas0
Nov 16, 2011, 08:02 AM
You should be able to do that using the dd command from terminal. Don't try it, though, if you are not familiar with terminal and how the devices are supposed to look there, or you could end up burning onto the wrong device.

I've done it with an ubuntu linux iso and worked just fine.

I did the DD command, I tried everything with disk utility, and the USB can't be altered in any way. But as I said, i don't care about that. I just need a way to make a bootable winXP usb! (I'm gonna buy another usb today)

PS: to be more specific, the DD command finished saying it was successful, and the partition of the disk did disappear from disk utility. But when I tried to erase (format), the partition reappeared (weird...). But once again, forget the broken usb, all I want is a way to make a bootable winxp usb!

Darth.Titan
Nov 16, 2011, 09:07 AM
Creating a bootable USB drive for installing XP pretty much requires a working XP machine. If you know someone with a Windows machine, you should check out WinToFlash (http://wintoflash.com/home/en/).

orfeas0
Nov 16, 2011, 09:33 AM
Creating a bootable USB drive for installing XP pretty much requires a working XP machine. If you know someone with a Windows machine, you should check out WinToFlash (http://wintoflash.com/home/en/).

I have a windows laptop but it runs win7, can't I do it with that?
Or via WinXP in parallels within mac?