PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Owners who have a MBP

entatlrg
Nov 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
Since you got your Macbook Air do you use your MBP less?

If so, how much less?

I've read over in the MBP forums occasionally how some 15 and 17" owners rarely use their bigger notebooks anymore since getting the Air.

MacDawg
Nov 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have a 17" MBP and got the 13" Air
I have officially switched
Love my Air

ecib
Nov 16, 2011, 10:35 AM

If so, how much less?

I've read over in the MBP forums occasionally how some 15 and 17" owners rarely use their bigger notebooks anymore since getting the Air.

Makes sense. I've a MBA and my girl has a MBP, both 13". When you are in your house, going room to room, or just want to grab your laptop and head to the couch, you're going to go with the really light one every time. Her MBP feels like a brick to me.

I have zero doubt that if I owned an iPad, even my MBA would be sitting, powered off, 90% of the time, since I use it mainly for surfing, videos, and email, -not spreadsheets and other more robust applications. Anything that you can do on the much lighter device with a better form factor, you will generally do on that device if it's just easier to hold and navigate.

entatlrg
Nov 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have a 17" MBP and got the 13" Air
I have officially switched
Love my Air

Do you find you're less productive with the smaller screen?

That's where I think I may be fooling myself ... I have the desire to buy a laptop with a larger screen to be more productive, ie two pages side by side, less vertical scrolling...

But, on the other hand having a larger / heavier notebook may result in using it less often in less places. I use my Air everywhere therefore work gets done even though the screen is smaller.

I don't require more power than what the Air offers and I have a desktop in my office, just don't enjoy working from a desk.

Money burning a hole in my pocket maybe, I've had MBP's before and wanted the Air so bad, now I'm thinking a larger mobile screen would be nice ... but worth the trade off's maybe not.

teerexx52
Nov 16, 2011, 11:25 AM
I tend to use them about equally. Taking the Air when I am out and about having coffee, using the Pro at home more. Hard to beat the Pro's hi Res screen

cr2
Nov 16, 2011, 11:53 AM

If so, how much less?

I've read over in the MBP forums occasionally how some 15 and 17" owners rarely use their bigger notebooks anymore since getting the Air. I have 13" MBA and 13" MBP, I use MBP as the desktop -- all the videos, photos, backups etc. After getting used to MBA, it does feel like a brick :-), maybe someday we will get an MBA with 500GB + storage at a lower $$$

I feel MBP has better display (compared to mid 2011 MBA v/s late 2011 MBP) but I might be wrong.

ecib
Nov 16, 2011, 12:28 PM
I tend to use them about equally. Taking the Air when I am out and about having coffee, using the Pro at home more. Hard to beat the Pro's hi Res screen

The Macbook Pro has a lower resolution screen than the Macbook Air.

theSeb
Nov 16, 2011, 12:31 PM
The Macbook Pro has a lower resolution screen than the Macbook Air.

Not if you have the 15" high-res or a 17".

szolr
Nov 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
Not if you have the 15" high-res or a 17".

Doesn't a MBA 13 inch have the same resolution as a MBP 15 inch? :cool: (I guess you're talking about the 11 inch Air above, right?)

FuNGi
Nov 16, 2011, 01:50 PM
I have a 13" air and a 15" hi-res MBP. I use both for different things. Part of the time the 15" is parked with my 24" cinema display (which is lower res than either laptop) and acts as a desktop at work. The Air is then my "at home" computer and works just fine on business trips etc. as well. However, when it comes down to serious work at home or away for more than a week or two then the 15" hi-res is definitely preferred while sitting, just not walking ;). It helps out that it's an i7 with 8GB of RAM too though. I justify having both because of the security in laptop redundancy and the different uses of them.

It sounds like you need portability. If you are flexible on this then I would just use that cash that's burning in your pocket to get an :apple: cinema display.

halledise
Nov 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
Do you find you're less productive with the smaller screen?

That's where I think I may be fooling myself ... I have the desire to buy a laptop with a larger screen to be more productive, ie two pages side by side, less vertical scrolling...

But, on the other hand having a larger / heavier notebook may result in using it less often in less places. I use my Air everywhere therefore work gets done even though the screen is smaller.

I don't require more power than what the Air offers and I have a desktop in my office, just don't enjoy working from a desk.

Money burning a hole in my pocket maybe, I've had MBP's before and wanted the Air so bad, now I'm thinking a larger mobile screen would be nice ... but worth the trade off's maybe not.

Q1 2012 should see a slim Hi-Res 15" MBPro - best of both worlds

theSeb
Nov 16, 2011, 02:31 PM
Doesn't a MBA 13 inch have the same resolution as a MBP 15 inch? :cool: (I guess you're talking about the 11 inch Air above, right?)

11" MBA - 1366x768
13" MBA - 1440x900
13" MBP - 1280x800
15" MBP - 1440x900 or 1,680-by-1,050 - this is the model I was referring to so I am not sure what you mean
17" MBP - 1920x1200

entatlrg
Nov 16, 2011, 02:32 PM
Q1 2012 should see a slim Hi-Res 15" MBPro - best of both worlds

Yes, that will be the answer! In the meantime it's hard to go back to using a bigger heavier laptop, especially a 17" from a 13" Air.

Cinema display is a good idea, only problem is I'm not too found of working at a desk.

theSeb
Nov 16, 2011, 02:32 PM
I have a 13" air and a 15" hi-res MBP. I use both for different things. Part of the time the 15" is parked with my 24" cinema display (which is lower res than either laptop) and acts as a desktop at work.

How does your 24" ACD have a lower resolution than your laptops?

Confuzzzed
Nov 16, 2011, 02:35 PM

Have 15" MBP and have had both 11" and now 13" MBA. Since I have had the MBA, I use the MBP as a desktop and that is very very rarely. If you want productivity, pair your MBA with a 23" Dell HD display for $150 and you are done. I can't imagine taking my MBP out of the house ever again. As someone else said though, a combination of iPad and MBP may be better for 99% of YOUR specific needs than an MBA.

theSeb
Nov 16, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, that will be the answer! In the meantime it's hard to go back to using a bigger heavier laptop, especially a 17" from a 13" Air.

Cinema display is a good idea, only problem is I'm not too found of working at a desk.

I live on the south west coast of England, but in order to make a living I need to be in London for 3 to 4 days a week. I have a MBP and I was getting tired of lugging it around with me (I have a windows laptop in the bag as well). So I figured that the MBA would be a fine choice. The plan was to leave the MBA in London and use it there and use the MBP in my other home. Unfortunately I love my MBA too much to not be without it so I take it with me back and forth. The MBP sits sulking in a drawer and hasn't been used for a while.

There are many things I miss about my MBP, like the higher quality and more vivid display, 8 GBs of RAM, firewire and ethernet. However, my MBP is a 13" 2009 model so perhaps my situation is not the same as yours. If I had 2011 15" or bigger, I would probably use it more and wouldn't need to bring the MBA home with me.

If I could have 8 GBs of RAM (I would have gladly paid Apple tax if they offered), then I would be in heaven. A thunderbolt port with more connection options would put me over the edge. I already have a 24" ACD and connect the MBA to it so buying an ATD (i.e. another monitor that I can't use my windows machines with) is pointless.

Scepticalscribe
Nov 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
My first Mac was a MPB which I bought in April 2008, and which I loved. In September 2010, I added a Rev C SSD MBA to the MBP, since I travel a lot.

In common with a number of other posters on this thread, the MBP essentially became a desktop, and since I was still travelling a lot (and now bringing my MBA), I found myself using the MBP less and less as time went by. Earlier this year, I sold it (it still had around two months of Applecare left) and now my MBA is my sole computer, and I use it for everything.

jmgregory1
Nov 16, 2011, 03:24 PM
I have a 2007 15" mbp that has now been relegated to kids duty / backup. I like the bigger screen, but can't imagine going back to anything that weighs more than the 13" mba I got in September.

I would definitely consider a 15" mba, should Apple decide to make one.

Epic Xbox Revie
Nov 16, 2011, 04:18 PM
I had a 15" MBP 2011, and got a 11" MBA 2011 3 months later. Needless to say I don't have the MBP anymore. Love the Air, love the thunderbolt display dock.

Kendo
Nov 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
I feel if you connect the MBA to an external monitor, it pretty much negates the need for having a MBP as a desktop.

SchneiderMan
Nov 16, 2011, 05:19 PM
I've got a 15" MBP connected to a 27" LED Cinema Display as a primary and a 13" MBA, and I don't know why I've got this weird setup.

MBPDiva
Nov 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
I use my MBP 17" at my desk and I carry my MBA around the house such as when I;m watching TV. But nothing beats that 17" hi-res screen on the MBP.

tim100
Nov 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
in my opinion the powerbook/macbook pro were always better than the ibook/macbook. the macbook air seems to be different, a evolution of notebooks. is the macbook air apples consumer line or the future of apple notebooks?

Kadman
Nov 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
Planned on using my 11" MBA 10% and my MBP 15" 90%. Reality is it's flipped (if not even more skewed to the Air)

cluthz
Nov 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
I had 2010 15 inch MBP and 2011 MBA, sold the MBP..

jlluna
Nov 16, 2011, 08:18 PM
I still use my MacBook pro allot, more than my air, but my iPad 2 I use the most.

topmounter
Nov 17, 2011, 12:37 AM
I sold my 15" MBP when I bought my 13" MBA and never missed the MBP one single bit. I use the MBA mainly for travel, but when I'm at home I normally split my time between the iMac and the iPad.

szolr
Nov 17, 2011, 02:02 AM
11" MBA - 1366x768
13" MBA - 1440x900
13" MBP - 1280x800
15" MBP - 1440x900 or 1,680-by-1,050 - this is the model I was referring to so I am not sure what you mean
17" MBP - 1920x1200

Forgot you can change the display to higher res... :o My bad :)

thekev
Nov 17, 2011, 02:16 AM

That is a much older design, and desktop displays in general haven't gone up in resolution. Resolution isn't the only thing that affects how good things look on screen, but I've wanted to see higher resolution desktop standards for a long time. The 17" macbook pro comes with the same resolution as any 24" desktop display on the market. Manufacturers play with the numbers quite a bit. Contrast ratios become meaningless past a certain point. If they're clipping detail to get them, this won't give you a better user experience. More resolution can make the image on screen appear a bit smoother, but there's still a lot more to it. Nothing produced in volume today seems to exceed 2560 x 1600 and those are 30" panels.

theSeb
Nov 17, 2011, 02:27 AM
That is a much older design, and desktop displays in general haven't gone up in resolution. Resolution isn't the only thing that affects how good things look on screen, but I've wanted to see higher resolution desktop standards for a long time. The 17" macbook pro comes with the same resolution as any 24" desktop display on the market. Manufacturers play with the numbers quite a bit. Contrast ratios become meaningless past a certain point. If they're clipping detail to get them, this won't give you a better user experience. More resolution can make the image on screen appear a bit smoother, but there's still a lot more to it. Nothing produced in volume today seems to exceed 2560 x 1600 and those are 30" panels.
Agreed, but that wasn't my point. The poster I quoted claimed that his 24" ACD has a lower resolution than his 13" MBA or his 15" high res MBP. That is impossible.

drxcm
Nov 17, 2011, 03:02 AM
I have MBA 11" and MBP 17"

Use both fairly equally - the 11" mainly at work, the 17" at home.

N0ddie
Nov 17, 2011, 03:36 AM
We have a 15" MBP and 13" MBA. The MBP is never used anymore, though we did get an iMac at the same time as the MBA so what we used the MBP for we now split between iMac and MBA as both do better at what we need of them.

thekev
Nov 17, 2011, 04:34 AM
Agreed, but that wasn't my point. The poster I quoted claimed that his 24" ACD has a lower resolution than his 13" MBA or his 15" high res MBP. That is impossible.

Ahh.. I was thinking maybe near the 15" with the older 24" ACD. It's been a long time since I've seen one of those though.

Macman45
Nov 17, 2011, 04:49 AM
That the device which get's less use now is actually my iPad. My Pro (17") is too big and heavy for lap use, so where I used to use my iPad I now use my MBA.

theSeb
Nov 17, 2011, 06:22 AM
Ahh.. I was thinking maybe near the 15" with the older 24" ACD. It's been a long time since I've seen one of those though.

Was there such a beast? I thought the old ACD was 23"?

convergent
Nov 17, 2011, 09:50 AM
Had a 15" MBP for a couple years. Just got a 13" MBA a couple weeks ago. Haven't used the MBP since. It will be going up for sale as soon as I have time to wipe it of my data.

FuNGi
Nov 17, 2011, 11:25 AM

I was referring to pixel density only. "Pixels per inch (PPI) or pixel density is a measurement of the resolution of devices in various contexts; typically computer displays, image scanners, and digital camera image sensors."-wiki

You see the 2008 24" ACD has a lower PPI than the 2010 13" Air and 2011 15" hi res MBP. It is a function of the size and resolution. Thankfully, I don't have to bother with the conversions as it is already done for us:

24" LED ACD PPI = 94.3 :cool:
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Cinema_Display

13" 2010 MBA PPI = 127.68
source: http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

15" 2011 MBP hi-res PPI = 128
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

So, using my 24" ACD is actually a hit in resolution to me. But then again, I don't exactly have to sit very close to the screen do I? (Let's not dredge up the old "retina-display" topic please). I find that the 13" Air and 15" MBP hi res is a good familiar combo given their similarity in PPI.

blipper
Nov 17, 2011, 12:37 PM
I take the Air (11") to work and use the MBP (13")at home while I'm watching TV. I used the Air a lot more at first and then I noticed I seemed to be developing ulnar tunnel pain, which was alleviated when I cut back on use.

But yes, the MBP never leaves the house since I got the Air.

theSeb
Nov 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
My apologies fungi. I didn't realise you were referring to pixel density.

entatlrg
Nov 18, 2011, 06:17 PM
For using 8 hours a day away from a desk what screen size would you all be choosing?

That's what makes me want a 17", I don't often work from a desk or set location and I'm on a computer at least 8 hours a day doing anything from design work, page layouts, heavy emails, entertainment ...

It's not bad using the Air for this, being able to use it anywhere comfortably is worth a lot too.

erasr
Nov 19, 2011, 02:32 PM
Got 13" Air and Pro.

I use the Air all the time now because it's easier to carry around and use for travelling (for work etc). I'm lazy and like everything on one computer.

IF the Pro had a higher resolution and was lighter then I'd use the Pro. The colours on the Pro are far better imo than the Air.

diggy33
Nov 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
I use my MBA most often now since it still has that "new" factor to it. I bought it in October, but earlier this year I replaced my 2007 iMac with a 2011, and also picked up a 13" MBP, to replace the 17 that I had. I take the Pro with me when I travel, but around the house, the Air gets used primarily for now.

tim100
Nov 24, 2011, 04:04 PM
i wonder if the results would be different if post in pro forum.

TheJing
Nov 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
I use my Pro whenever I have to work in flash, photoshop and illustrator which is quite a few hours a day.

When I'm in school I use the Air to take notes and just browse the web. I also use my Air when I'm in bed or just chill in in front of the TV.

I would say I use them both just as much.

Abazigal
Nov 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Friend has a 15' MBP which he uses at home as a desktop replacement. His MBA is solely for when he is outside.