Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Minecraft, the block-building phenomenon, arrives on the iPhone and iPad for all iOS users tonight.

TouchArcade reports that initial impressions on its forums "seem positive, although some have noted disappointment with how limited the game feels compared to the 'full' version. There's no online play, for instance, only local WiFi, and your portable Minecraft worlds are devoid of both animals and creepers."

mzltykonxsi480x480-75.jpg

Minecraft - Pocket Edition allows you to build on the go. Use blocks to create masterpieces as you travel, hangout with friends, sit at the park, the possibilities are endless. Move beyond the limits of your computer and play Minecraft everywhere you go.
Minecraft Pocket Edition is already available in New Zealand and should be available in the U.S. at 11 PM Eastern. Minecraft - Pocket Edition will be available for iPhone or iPad as a universal app, for $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Minecraft Pocket Edition for iPad and iPhone Goes Live Worldwide Tonight

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I don't personally play the game, but I know some people who have been waiting for something like this. I know what they'll be doing all night!

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I know what they'll be doing all night!

...drinking? I guess that's what kids at my university do every night though :p

My roommate will probably enjoy this, he plays Minecraft.

Also: In before jokes about the low Minecraft resolution.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
My kids love this game. But with no creepers or online play, I don't think they'll be playing the iPad version much.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
It really stinks I can't use this with my device (iPhone 3G). But I did post some info about the game on my Minecraft blog for those of you interested (link).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Though I really want Minecraft on my iPad...i'll pass.

Survival mode is the main reason I liked Minecraft in the first place. With no risk of your work exploding what is the point?

I'll buy once real minecraft is on the iPad, and not "Pocket Edition". And it should be compatible with the PC version.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
It really stinks I can't use this with my device (iPhone 3G). But I did post some info about the game on my Minecraft blog for those of you interested (link).

Keep in mind that the iPhone 3G doesn't support OpenGL ES 2.0, and its GPU is something like 4x slower than that of the iPhone 3GS. That combined with Apple dropping iOS 5 support on the device and dwindling user numbers means it's getting harder to justify supporting this device with new games.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Disappointing, I was really looking forward to being able to play minecraft multi-player on my iPhone :-(

Stefx73

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Canada
couple of gameplay questionsabout the iPad version...

How do you go in the crafting screen?
How do you know your inventory?

*****edit*****
Just to confirm, there is no crafting, no inventory, no mobs.

Just plain creation mode, unlimited block building

Last edited:

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
couple of gameplay questionsabout the iPad version...

How do you go in the crafting screen?
How do you know your inventory?

*****edit*****
Just to confirm, there is no crafting, no inventory, no mobs.

Just plain creation mode, unlimited block building

Weak sauce. I'll wait to see if they actually add all that stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.