PDA

View Full Version : Native Gmail App Returns to App Store

MacRumors
Nov 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/16/native-gmail-app-returns-to-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/gmailscreenies.jpg

As noted by Google (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/11/gmail-app-for-ios-available-in-app.html), the company's native Gmail app (http://appshopper.com/productivity/gmail) for iOS has returned to the App Store. The app debuted two weeks ago (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/02/native-gmail-client-for-ios-is-released/), but was quickly pulled after a bug breaking notifications was discovered as soon as users began installing the app.Two weeks ago, we introduced our Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately it contained a bug which broke notifications and displayed an error message, so we removed it from the App Store. We've fixed the bug and notifications are now working, and the app is back in the App Store.Google notes that in addition to the notification bug fix, the company has also improved the handling of image HTML messages and has promised to continue "iterating rapidly" to bring new features to the app.

Article Link: Native Gmail App Returns to App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/16/native-gmail-app-returns-to-app-store/)

iFanaddic
Nov 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet! is this app available in canada? I cant seem to find it in the canadian app store..

Scriz
Nov 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
I don't see it yet. :(

corbijnal
Nov 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet! is this app available in canada? I cant seem to find it in the canadian app store..

It's up on the UK store... Just checked for updates and it's there...

Works too! :p

jroadley
Nov 16, 2011, 12:51 PM
I don't see the point of this, I think the native mail app on a ios device looks so much better. You may as well just bookmark gmail.com

wtmk81
Nov 16, 2011, 12:52 PM
works. Tried it a couple times. My exchange account gets emails a second or two faster. But I like the look the app better...hmm.

thekjs88
Nov 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
I can't set up to get banners or alerts...just badges. Why?

corbijnal
Nov 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's up on the UK store... Just checked for updates and it's there...

Works too! :p

I take it back... It's getting deleted!

when you get an email. You hear tri-tone... but no on screen notification... Nothing in notification centre... only thing that happens is you badge icon changes (in my case from 5 to 6). Not entirely obvious what the notification is for when I've got a few apps that us tritone as a notification - Whatsapp to be specific.

What a crock. Native mail app it is!

GiantSteve
Nov 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
It's a good start, but it needs to show more than 10 messages at a time without tapping the "Show more messages..." button at the bottom of the list

Menge
Nov 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
We should stop referring to this guy as "Native", since it's basically a UIWebView wrapper.

Push notifications for Gmail messages without having to configure an exchange push account is nice, though.

strabes
Nov 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
works. Tried it a couple times. My exchange account gets emails a second or two faster. But I like the look the app better...hmm.

But you can't delete emails using exchange with gmail on iPhone afaik. It just archives them.

Pooshka
Nov 16, 2011, 01:08 PM
Same here. What's up with that? :confused:

tfigs121
Nov 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
Can anyone explain to me why I should use this instead of the native Mail app? Is there any features this app has over the Mail app that is better? Just trying to get some ideas on if or why I should use this when the Mail app seems very sufficient.

Thanks.

Mojtaba
Nov 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
Disgusting icon!! :(
Unfortunately Steve Jobs is not alive to tell Google how to design an icon?!

richard4339
Nov 16, 2011, 01:17 PM

The original article links to their info on it: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1205758&topic=1205739

So, to answer your question, you can't set them up because Google didn't add that functionality.

Pooshka
Nov 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
One thing that irks me is that all of Google's app icons are blue while Google+ and Gmail are black. Don't like this inconsistency. Makes my springboard look weird.

sclawis300
Nov 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
can you have a separate signature? and can you make the notification a different sound?

delnerdo
Nov 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Has anyone figured out how to disable the ads? Advice would be welcome.

r2shyyou
Nov 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
Can anyone explain to me why I should use this instead of the native Mail app? Is there any features this app has over the Mail app that is better? Just trying to get some ideas on if or why I should use this when the Mail app seems very sufficient.

Thanks.

I've now downloaded this app twice; once when it was initially released and once just a few moments ago. I've also now deleted this app twice.

The only thing I want that this app has that the native Mail.app doesn't have is the ability to show labels on emails in the Inbox. I have somewhere around 150 filters set up, some to label and archive mail instantly and some to just label mail but not archive it.

When mail comes in, it isn't always from the same email address or from the same "@whatever.whatever" suffix so I don't know if it's been properly labeled (yeah, I'm a bit OCD about labeling and organizing my email).

With this (cr)app, I can see the labels but with the native Mail.app I can't. Whatever though, it ain't nearly good enough to make me switch.

fins831
Nov 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
Has anyone figured out how to disable the ads? Advice would be welcome.

Yeah delete the app, setup m.google.com in exchange server...and use the iOS5 push email

rwilliams
Nov 16, 2011, 01:26 PM
I still can't believe that with all of their programmers, Google would be so lazy as to release an "app" that is nothing more than their mobile website in a "pretty" wrapper. Apple should have rejected this just on principle.

fins831
Nov 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
I still can't believe that with all of their programmers, Google would be so lazy as to release an "app" that is nothing more than their mobile website in a "pretty" wrapper. Apple should have rejected this just on principle.

thats what a lot of the bank apps are, especially bank of america.

delnerdo
Nov 16, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah delete the app, setup m.google.com in exchange server...and use the iOS5 push email

Sorry I asked. What server? Exchange?

fins831
Nov 16, 2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry I asked. What server? Exchange?

Go to add account for email, instead of clicking gmail, click exchange, setup push email for gmail using exchange.."m.google.com"

Its push email, doesn't require an App, and its faster than the gmail app

or click here for the full workup

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/6548/ipad-iphone-setup-gmail-as-an-exchange-account-full-calendar-email-contact-syncing-and-push-support/

mkrishnan
Nov 16, 2011, 01:33 PM
The original article links to their info on it: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1205758&topic=1205739

So, to answer your question, you can't set them up because Google didn't add that functionality.

It would be nice if, in the future, all apps did not list options for notification types that they don't actually use.

EDIT: Ahh, internet trolling... the first page of the Google blog comments has a user griping that this is better than the mail app on Android....

ravenvii
Nov 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
thats what a lot of the bank apps are, especially bank of america.

Used to be true, but they've improved their app a lot in the past year.

spillproof
Nov 16, 2011, 01:39 PM
Gurr.. I can't use it with my school's mail because Google doesn't "host" the account. I sent a suggestion, maybe in the next update.

Thanks.

Labels. If you have 21 labels and filters like I do for school, work, and internships it is (would be) a blessing to see the labels in my inbox on my iPhone.

If you don't use labels or "most important" flags, then there is probably no reason for you to use it.

wetrix
Nov 16, 2011, 01:40 PM

Would have been fine pre-notification centre, but it seems to really miss the mark on iOS5 with no visuals.

ravenvii
Nov 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed; notifications is sub-par. Hope they fix this fast.

However, there is another thing... why hasn't the gmail webapp gotten *native* scrolling momentum yet? Apple introduced a web API in iOS 5 that allows webapps to have native scrolling momentum!

mkrishnan
Nov 16, 2011, 02:06 PM
Used to be true, but they've improved their app a lot in the past year.

Yeah, I was waiting quite a while for that one. Their old app was astonishingly useless.

Pooshka
Nov 16, 2011, 02:15 PM
Funnily through this thread, I've found out that one can use Gmail Push via Microsoft Exchange. That was the only reason I wanted Google's own mail app badly. Not anymore. Now that I know about the Microsoft Exchange workaround, I've deleted the Gmail app. First, the icon is butt ugly (the only black icon on my springboard), second, the interface is no different from their web app, which is unacceptable considering all their resources.

Will be patiently waiting for Sparrow's Gmail app, which is due early next year. Those guys (just like people behind Tapbots) have some exceptional design skills.

nagromme
Nov 16, 2011, 02:37 PM
I don't see the point of this, I think the native mail app on a ios device looks so much better. You may as well just bookmark gmail.com

Thatís pretty much what this is! (With the addition of sort-of-functional incoming mail alerts... while the iOS native mail app has FULLY functioning alerts and lets you see ALL your mail in the same place. If I wanted to have two mail apps and two sets of UI habits, one for my GMail and one for everyting else, Iíd use Android :p )

Itís good that theyíre working on improving it though, I guess.

D.T.
Nov 16, 2011, 02:59 PM
Labels. If you have 21 labels and filters like I do for school, work, and internships it is (would be) a blessing to see the labels in my inbox on my iPhone.

If you don't use labels or "most important" flags, then there is probably no reason for you to use it.

That's pretty much it. I don't use labels and I also like my mail interface for all my accounts to operate the same, look the same, and be consolidated into a single location.

I would like some "Outlook" like features for tagging/flags/etc., but I guess the native app will mature with time (it's still my favorite mobile email client). :)

rman726
Nov 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Well at least they figured out how to properly size an email in this version... It was unbelievable poorly sized the first go-around. Wish the notification center worked...

DesertSilver
Nov 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
One thing that irks me is that all of Google's app icons are blue while Google+ and Gmail are black. Don't like this inconsistency. Makes my springboard look weird.

Really?? Please say you were being sarcastic. Does it also bother you that the phone's stock icons are yellow, blue, green, orange...?

Anyways...notifications, other than sound, are not working for me. Not in lock screen, notification center, and the notification that "flips" at the top of the screen when phone is on. I did set them all as ON in the Gmail notification settings.

Futhark
Nov 16, 2011, 03:28 PM
Why Google?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.852657,-6.271005

mikefla
Nov 16, 2011, 03:44 PM

This is probably made in India like windows is so that's what you get. Crap.
Companies like Microsoft and Google don't want to pay the big bucks for real programmers even though they can afford it. That's why IT stinks and we get paid peanuts these days, lets just outsource it all to India, Philippines, etc...

-Mike

DesertSilver
Nov 16, 2011, 03:50 PM
The "app" has a panes for labels, ability to search, native looking "compose", dropdowns, buttons, pinch to zoom, app icon, badge showing number of unread emails...

With numerous people saying this is just the webpage in app form, can someone enlighten me on what else would be expected in a "true app"? Genuine question, since I'm not sure what else would be expected from an app that simply handles emails.

One could argue that the Facebook and Twitter apps do not give us any additional functionality than their respective mobile sites.

Pooshka
Nov 16, 2011, 04:14 PM
Really?? Please say you were being sarcastic. Does it also bother you that the phone's stock icons are yellow, blue, green, orange...?
I have a severe form of OCD. You'd be surprised, but out of all icons (which are mostly blue, green, orange, etc.), Gmail's black icon stuck out like a sore thumb.

If you don't suffer from any kinda OCD, you'll never understand me.

bpaluzzi
Nov 16, 2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks.

Labels
Push + correct delete, simultaneously

Funnily through this thread, I've found out that one can use Gmail Push via Microsoft Exchange. That was the only reason I wanted Google's own mail app badly. Not anymore. Now that I know about the Microsoft Exchange workaround, I've deleted the Gmail app. First, the icon is butt ugly (the only black icon on my springboard), second, the interface is no different from their web app, which is unacceptable considering all their resources.

Will be patiently waiting for Sparrow's Gmail app, which is due early next year. Those guys (just like people behind Tapbots) have some exceptional design skills.

ActiveSync / Exchange doesn't properly delete your emails with Gmail. It moves them to the All Mail folder. And if you do a bulk delete without reading them, they stay as "unread" in your All Mail folder. Very annoying.

Eric0531
Nov 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
ActiveSync / Exchange doesn't properly delete your emails with Gmail. It moves them to the All Mail folder. And if you do a bulk delete without reading them, they stay as "unread" in your All Mail folder. Very annoying.

Indeed. And it's a pain to poke through the All Mail folder figuring out what you had wanted to delete and what you want to keep.

I ended up creating a "Deleted" label in my Gmail account, and using the native iPhone app I just move messages that I want to delete there. That way they are at least segregated and I can delete them easily from my PC at a later point. Not ideal but it's a workaround.

blulegend
Nov 17, 2011, 12:16 AM
Needs a local cache for offline viewing and contact storage for fast searching.

corbijnal
Nov 17, 2011, 05:39 AM
Indeed. And it's a pain to poke through the All Mail folder figuring out what you had wanted to delete and what you want to keep.

Not quite sure why you would want to delete any emails!

I've had a gmail account for 6 years now with heavy enough usage and I've only used about 50% of the 7.6GB limit (which is constantly increasing).

You never know when you might want to look at an email again in the future.

bpaluzzi
Nov 17, 2011, 05:43 AM

I've had a gmail account for 6 years now with heavy enough usage and I've only used about 50% of the 7.6GB limit (which is constantly increasing).

You're welcome to keep your facebook notifications, lastminute.com e-savers, and MacRumors reply messages if you want, I guess.

In my usage, I have no need for those messages. I'm at 75% of my quota, with aggressive deletion of mail I have no use for.

mkrishnan
Nov 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
In my usage, I have no need for those messages. I'm at 75% of my quota, with aggressive deletion of mail I have no use for.

At some point, I too might have to start deleting some of these kinds of messages that don't need to be kept. My GMail is filling up very slightly faster than they add more space, so that over several years I've crept from about 10% of capacity to about 20%. But, it will take years, and I can filter/delete them later, so for now I leave them alone.

On the topic of this app... I downloaded it at work (via iTunes), but I didn't have access to try it till I got home. I tried it a couple of times. I deleted it. Not too impressed. The only time I used the GMail website on my phone was because it produces better search results on old mail than Mail.app does. I don't think this is any better for that purpose, so I'll just leave well enough alone.

Eric0531
Nov 17, 2011, 10:01 AM

I don't really want 6 years of daily digests from the Yahoo Little League Umpires discussion group, or an email on May 12, 2007 from my wife asking me to pick a couple of things from the store on my way home, or an email from 2008 letting me know that my son's baseball game is rained out. I'm pretty confident that I'm never going to want to read any of those again.

In GMail via the web if you click on the trash can icon it actually deletes the message, it doesn't stick it in your "All Mail" folder/label. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable request for the mail app on the iPhone.

Trash can != "Archive" in my mind anyway.

DesertSilver
Nov 17, 2011, 11:23 AM

I don't think "delete" was meant as "delete permanently to save space". The delete function should be expected to just move emails to the Trash, or equivelant for other email accounts that don't call it "Trash".

Integrating Gmail with the stock Mail app (even using the Exchange workaround), deleting an email in the app doesn't move it to the Trash folder. Instead, it gets archived and makes it relatively difficult to find again.

bpaluzzi
Nov 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't think "delete" was meant as "delete permanently to save space". The delete function should be expected to just move emails to the Trash, or equivelant for other email accounts that don't call it "Trash".

Integrating Gmail with the stock Mail app (even using the Exchange workaround), deleting an email in the app doesn't move it to the Trash folder. Instead, it gets archived and makes it relatively difficult to find again.

The delete / archive setting is switchable* in the standard IMAP version of Gmail on the iOS Mail.app. It's only in the Exchange/ActiveSync version that you can't set it to properly delete. Hence the choice: Push (via Exchange) OR proper delete (via IMAP), but not both.

*Settings->Mail,Contacts,Calendar->(account name)->Archive Messages
Set this to off, and messages will be deleted, not moved to All Mail. As stated above, this isn't available in the Exchange implementation.

himynameiscody
Jan 1, 2012, 04:25 PM
so what is favored...the iphone mail app or gmail? i haven't download the gmail app, i just use the mobile site

LIVEFRMNYC
Jan 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
But you can't delete emails using exchange with gmail on iPhone afaik. It just archives them.

Yes you can.

Open mail app and go to Mailboxes, then scroll down to accounts. Tap on Gmail(under Accounts, not Indoxes) and you'll see all the folders. If you delete anything in the all folders account it will end up in the trash folder. I have verified this by deleting on my iphone and refreshing gmail on my laptop browser. Also you can delete the trash folder from the iphone too which gets rid of the email for good.

FYI .... If you go to Gmail under the mail settings menu, you can also select which folders to push. And if your Jailbroken, you should install "All Mail" which allows to select all to delete. Good if you have hundreds of mail.