Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmailscreenies.jpg

As noted by Google, the company's native Gmail app for iOS has returned to the App Store. The app debuted two weeks ago, but was quickly pulled after a bug breaking notifications was discovered as soon as users began installing the app.
Two weeks ago, we introduced our Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately it contained a bug which broke notifications and displayed an error message, so we removed it from the App Store. We've fixed the bug and notifications are now working, and the app is back in the App Store.
Google notes that in addition to the notification bug fix, the company has also improved the handling of image HTML messages and has promised to continue "iterating rapidly" to bring new features to the app.

Article Link: Native Gmail App Returns to App Store

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet! is this app available in canada? I cant seem to find it in the canadian app store..

alangrehan

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet! is this app available in canada? I cant seem to find it in the canadian app store..

It's up on the UK store... Just checked for updates and it's there...

Works too! :p

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
I don't see the point of this, I think the native mail app on a ios device looks so much better. You may as well just bookmark gmail.com

wtmk81

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Toronto, ON
works. Tried it a couple times. My exchange account gets emails a second or two faster. But I like the look the app better...hmm.

alangrehan

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
It's up on the UK store... Just checked for updates and it's there...

Works too! :p

I take it back... It's getting deleted!

when you get an email. You hear tri-tone... but no on screen notification... Nothing in notification centre... only thing that happens is you badge icon changes (in my case from 5 to 6). Not entirely obvious what the notification is for when I've got a few apps that us tritone as a notification - Whatsapp to be specific.

What a crock. Native mail app it is!

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
It's a good start, but it needs to show more than 10 messages at a time without tapping the "Show more messages..." button at the bottom of the list

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
We should stop referring to this guy as "Native", since it's basically a UIWebView wrapper.

Push notifications for Gmail messages without having to configure an exchange push account is nice, though.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
works. Tried it a couple times. My exchange account gets emails a second or two faster. But I like the look the app better...hmm.

But you can't delete emails using exchange with gmail on iPhone afaik. It just archives them.

tfigs121

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Why switch to this?

Can anyone explain to me why I should use this instead of the native Mail app? Is there any features this app has over the Mail app that is better? Just trying to get some ideas on if or why I should use this when the Mail app seems very sufficient.

Thanks.

Mojtaba

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2011
Disgusting icon!! :(
Unfortunately Steve Jobs is not alive to tell Google how to design an icon?!

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
One thing that irks me is that all of Google's app icons are blue while Google+ and Gmail are black. Don't like this inconsistency. Makes my springboard look weird.

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
disable ads by enabling any add-on?

Has anyone figured out how to disable the ads? Advice would be welcome.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Can anyone explain to me why I should use this instead of the native Mail app? Is there any features this app has over the Mail app that is better? Just trying to get some ideas on if or why I should use this when the Mail app seems very sufficient.

Thanks.

I've now downloaded this app twice; once when it was initially released and once just a few moments ago. I've also now deleted this app twice.

The only thing I want that this app has that the native Mail.app doesn't have is the ability to show labels on emails in the Inbox. I have somewhere around 150 filters set up, some to label and archive mail instantly and some to just label mail but not archive it.

When mail comes in, it isn't always from the same email address or from the same "@whatever.whatever" suffix so I don't know if it's been properly labeled (yeah, I'm a bit OCD about labeling and organizing my email).

With this (cr)app, I can see the labels but with the native Mail.app I can't. Whatever though, it ain't nearly good enough to make me switch.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I still can't believe that with all of their programmers, Google would be so lazy as to release an "app" that is nothing more than their mobile website in a "pretty" wrapper. Apple should have rejected this just on principle.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I still can't believe that with all of their programmers, Google would be so lazy as to release an "app" that is nothing more than their mobile website in a "pretty" wrapper. Apple should have rejected this just on principle.

thats what a lot of the bank apps are, especially bank of america.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The original article links to their info on it: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1205758&topic=1205739

So, to answer your question, you can't set them up because Google didn't add that functionality.

It would be nice if, in the future, all apps did not list options for notification types that they don't actually use.

EDIT: Ahh, internet trolling... the first page of the Google blog comments has a user griping that this is better than the mail app on Android....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.