PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 MacBook Air display glitch

Mr Dobey
Nov 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
So far Windows 8 installs fine and runs well on an external display outputted from my 2011 MacBook Air. But my Air's screen looks like the attachement. The bottom half is mirrored and constantly flickers. I've tried all the different available resolutions and refresh rates with no success. I'm guessing its a Intel HD 3000 driver issue. Strange because the Thunderbolt out works fine.

Any other air users have the same problem?

sixteen12
Nov 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
Well Windows 8 is still in a preview version, so I assume that would cause a lot of issues.

Mr Dobey
Nov 17, 2011, 01:17 AM
hmm doesn't seem to be a common issue I suppose. Haven't found any others after Google with this problem and all the instructions on the web show Windows 8 running fine on the 2011 MacBook Airs :/

MultiFinder17
Nov 17, 2011, 12:02 PM
There's a reason it hasn't even reached a beta stage yet :)

qwerf123
Nov 18, 2011, 06:38 AM
I had the same issue. The way to fix it is to connect the laptop to an external display as it displays correct on there so you fix it.
And your right, its the driver issues, as you just have to reinstall it to fix it.

Mr Dobey
Nov 18, 2011, 10:58 AM
I had the same issue. The way to fix it is to connect the laptop to an external display as it displays correct on there so you fix it.
And your right, its the driver issues, as you just have to reinstall it to fix it.

Ah ha! I knew someone else would have the same issue.

I too noticed that it worked fine with an external display. But when you say reinstall the drivers do you mean the bootcamp drivers? Since they only install on Windows 7 did you get around this by enabling 'compatibility mode'?

thanks!