PDA

View Full Version : What's Preventing This From Being an Apple Desktop?

shadowfax0
Oct 12, 2002, 07:44 PM
Just forget this is IBM's website for a minutes, picture it as Apple's, wouldn't it seem to fit just nicely...?

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/hardware/workstations/p630_6e4_desc.html

Hemingray
Oct 12, 2002, 08:00 PM
That 32MB of L3 cache is enough to make anyone drool... :) And 16GB of RAM? Yes please! (Not that I'll ever need it... :p )

vniow
Oct 12, 2002, 08:07 PM
It's a bit much for a desktop, but put some of those guts in an xServe and you've got yourself a kick-ass server.

Too bad it looks like this, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!
http://www.rx7club.com/forum/images/smilies/puke.gif

dongmin
Oct 12, 2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax0
Just forget this is IBM's website for a minutes, picture it as Apple's, wouldn't it seem to fit just nicely...?

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/hardware/workstations/p630_6e4_desc.html

uhh, sure. The 630 Model 6E4 starts at $12,495 (http://www-132.ibm.com/content/home/store_IBMPublicUSA/en_US/eServer/pSeries/entry/pSeries_entry.html) but I guess we can all have our fantasies

beatle888
Oct 12, 2002, 09:36 PM
oh my...only if i could run osx on that thing.
i wouldnt need a new computer for...what say
ten years. damn.:p

cubist
Oct 12, 2002, 10:50 PM
Who is designing these machines for IBM? The same edge-crazed folks that designed the new Cadillac CTS? This angular stuff is visually busy... and since there is no practicality whatsoever behind it, it is gratuitously so... it annoys both the eye and the mind.

Whereas the Apple computers have subtle curves, elegant surfaces, smooth contours pleasing to the eye, and usually fairly practical to satisfy the mind as well (OK, the iMac dome is an exception).

If computer designers are lost in a vaccuum, they should step into Best Buy and look at compact stereos. We've moved beyond faux walnut and chrome to curved plastic and lots of lights. They don't look like industrial welding units styled after the PzKpfw IV.

Soma_Addict
Oct 12, 2002, 11:21 PM
i wonder how much noise this thing makes. it certainly must need a lot of air to cool it, just look at that massive vent. it takes up the entire front side of the casing.

funkywhat2
Oct 12, 2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Who is designing these machines for IBM? The same edge-crazed folks that designed the new Cadillac CTS? This angular stuff is visually busy... and since there is no practicality whatsoever behind it, it is gratuitously so... it annoys both the eye and the mind.

Whereas the Apple computers have subtle curves, elegant surfaces, smooth contours pleasing to the eye, and usually fairly practical to satisfy the mind as well (OK, the iMac dome is an exception).

If computer designers are lost in a vaccuum, they should step into Best Buy and look at compact stereos. We've moved beyond faux walnut and chrome to curved plastic and lots of lights. They don't look like industrial welding units styled after the PzKpfw IV.

i wouldn't be shocked if it were designed by the same people wh make cray systems. i hear those make nice chairs.

TimDaddy
Oct 12, 2002, 11:50 PM
Yes, ugly computer. But I love the Cadillac CTS. If only it were made be Lexus...

bousozoku
Oct 12, 2002, 11:54 PM

Well, with IBM's bigger machines, it's function, not beauty that matters. Every shape is highly important to making the most out of the components. You've got to remember that this is not a PC...it's a workstation. The specifications are quite high and the price is usually justified by the reliability and functionality.

etoiles
Oct 13, 2002, 12:59 AM
Who is designing these machines for IBM?

I agree, the 80's rock :D
mmmmmmmmh...airbrushed geometric shapes...niiiiice:rolleyes:

beatle888
Oct 13, 2002, 01:18 AM
some of these posts are silly.
the point isnt the design.....its the specs.
have you looked at the specs?

shadowfax0
Oct 13, 2002, 01:27 AM
...Did anyone read the page and jsut pretend they were reading the Apple website? Doesn't it seem to fit in? "Up to Two processort....Amazing for graphics applications....Runs on POWER4 Architecture..." :D

etoiles
Oct 13, 2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by beatle888
some of these posts are silly.
the point isnt the design.....its the specs.
have you looked at the specs?

...don't forget the price. I think one of the graphics card options alone costs over $5000.-

Anyway, this is a mac enthousiast site. If we were looking at specs when buying our new computers, we'd all be depressed. But we are happy, right ? After all, Apple still makes the best looking computers on earth.:D

No, I am not bitter...

springscansing
Oct 13, 2002, 04:50 AM
The system is obviously amazing.. but why does the site render so poorly on IE 5.5 under OS 9 (still in 9 for audio work, blah) and two links give me 404 errors? So yes... ignore the site and it looks sweet. :-)

Dr. Distortion
Oct 13, 2002, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
The system is obviously amazing.. but why does the site render so poorly on IE 5.5 under OS 9 (still in 9 for audio work, blah) and two links give me 404 errors? So yes... ignore the site and it looks sweet. :-)

I'd love to see the spacemouse/spaceball become available for Mac... Would be great for 3d modelling apps like Maya...

I've been using these things with Unigraphics on PC, and it really speeds up your work :)

etoiles
Oct 13, 2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion

I'd love to see the spacemouse/spaceball become available for Mac... Would be great for 3d modelling apps like Maya...

I've been using these things with Unigraphics on PC, and it really speeds up your work :)

I used one at work on a PC with 3DStudioMax. While it is fun to use to fly around your 3d models, I have found it to actually slow me down because I had to take my left hand off the keyboard to operate it.
Maybe I should have programmed the buttons on the spacemouse so I would not have to use the keyboard anymore...I am a creature of habbit, I guess...

It is still pretty sweet to impress your friends/clients, taking them on a 'virtual walk through' of your scene...and I look forward to seeing Apple's solution for easy 3D navigation, not sure a one button mouse will quite cut it this time :)

Durandal7
Oct 13, 2002, 02:42 PM
It looks like they hired Babylon 5 or Enterprise set designers to make those cases.