Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I'm in the market for an iPod touch [4th gen] to carry around. *I've already got a 32GB iPad, *so I am considering just getting the 8GB version. But I'd like to hear opinions on it specifically from people who own or have owned an 8GB iPod touch?

PS. I already know that I could get a refurbished 3rd gen for less, *but I really want the retina display and front-facing camera.*

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I know. But basically I'm wondering how satisfied folks were with their purchase. Is 8GB workable, or does one ultimately wish they had more storage space?

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Wouldn't that depend on the user? I don't understand how someone else's commentary on their completely different situation would help you.

Absolutely. For me, 8GB would be completely unusable. Ask my wife however, and she'd probably say it was enough.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Of course it depends on the user. That that's why I asked for the opinions of those who specifically purchased an 8GB model. Presumably these folks didn't feel they would need much storage. But what I wonder is if any of them ran into any unforeseen issues. It is possible that there are things I haven't considered.

nawras94

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
hi you see the camera files and apps are getting bigger and 8gb wont be enough anymore but depends what you want

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I own the 32gb model because I would not have enough space with the 8gb. I have 39 apps (24 of them games), 107 songs, 2 videos (movies), 87 photos.

And it only came with 28.5 gb and a I already used about 6.5gb that is left from that.

Don't get the 8gb, Its to small, Apple should have made a 16gb the cheapest.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
My 16 yr old had an 8g for a few years before he got his iPhone it was fine for him he mainly used it for apps and u tube etc he didn't load it up with music for me i have alot of music so wouldn't be enough depends on how u use it

Crigger540

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The Old Dominion
I have always gotten the 8GB - I have 71 GB of music on my desktop and I just swap out fresh music every evening, it only take a few minutes. Unless you plan on shooting a lot of video or if you are away from your desktop for extended periods of time the 8GB is very workable.

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
I currently have an 8GB 4th gen ipod.

~500 songs
60 apps
150 pictures
10 minute of video

1GB left.

If you have more material than myself or watch a lot of TV shows/Movies, then 32 GB would be better. However if your music isn't too large, apps aren't too large and you occasionally watch a show and delete, 8GB will be fine.

Anyways the price dropped to 199$ while 32GB stayed steady at 299$.
Take advantage of the $30 drop and get your self an 8GB.

My 16 yr old had an 8g for a few years before he got his iPhone it was fine for him he mainly used it for apps and u tube etc he didn't load it up with music for me i have alot of music so wouldn't be enough depends on how u use it

There has only been 4th iterations of the iPod touch line if you have or know a person that has an 8G model, then it is not a real Apple device.

supenakrisnadi

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Indonesia
I have iPod Touch 1st Gen 8Gb, I primarily use it to listen to music. My entire collection is around 130Gb. And I listen to music subject to my mood swing... 8Gb is completely not enough for me... Apps is relatively small (work log, calc, weather, stock and other simple apps), except if we put tons of books in it, but books look better on iPad, so It really depends on your purpose to use the device...

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
i have had mine for about a month now and i can say that if you like to keep things organized it should not be a problem. I only keep teh songs i want (53 total) and i unsync podcasts and videos once i have fin watching them (i keep them in playlists, when i am done with one set, i unsync that set and sync another). And for apps i delete most of teh ones i will not play. And i have like maybe 30 apps or more on my itouch and i still have about 2gb free.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The problem with the 8GB iPod Touch is that it's actually formatted to 6.5GB. The 8GB iPod Touch I have has 0 songs, 18 videos (small recorded videos), 216 photos and 76 applications. Total free space: 740MB.

It's fine for the family member that is using it, but not enough for me.
That's why I have a 32GB iPhone. It's very comfortable

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I currently have an 8GB 4th gen ipod.

~500 songs
60 apps
150 pictures
10 minute of video

1GB left.

If you have more material than myself or watch a lot of TV shows/Movies, then 32 GB would be better. However if your music isn't too large, apps aren't too large and you occasionally watch a show and delete, 8GB will be fine.

Anyways the price dropped to 199$ while 32GB stayed steady at 299$.
Take advantage of the $30 drop and get your self an 8GB.

There has only been 4th iterations of the iPod touch line if you have or know a person that has an 8G model, then it is not a real Apple device.

It's an apple I bought it at the store

BrunoWill

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
iPad and iPod, I will only choose one from them. I really do not need to much this kind of portable device.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I would say that 8GB its way too low for me, personally. I have to just pick and choose and squeeze in as much stuff that i need in such a low space.

Since my iPod touch 4th gen is dying (Battery discharges at a ridiculous rate, Take it off the charger and it goes down to 85% in a minute.) and since i cant replace it (No Apple Stores and i lost my best buy receipt :( ) I will buy a 32GB one. I find that space to be the most comfortable on my iPhone 4S.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

They clearly meant it as 8GB - an innocent typo - and not 8G as in "8th generation".

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
OP, can you provide a little more info on how you'll use the Touch?

Since you have an iPad, you presumably won't load movies to the Touch - which would be the #1 reason for more memory.

8GB will give you a fair amount of music, especially if you down-convert to 128Kbps. Is highest bitrate music important to you or is 128K adequate?

Any particular app or usage you can think of that might cause the 8GB to be restrictive?

----------

my iPod touch 4th gen is dying... i cant replace it (No Apple Stores and i lost my best buy receipt :( )

Battery replacement is $39 through iResq - worth it even if you just do it to sell the Touch.

http://www.iresq.com/ipod-repair/ipod-touch-4/ipod-touch-gen-4-battery-replacement-service.html

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
The problem with the 8GB iPod Touch is that it's actually formatted to 6.5GB. The 8GB iPod Touch I have has 0 songs, 18 videos (small recorded videos), 216 photos and 76 applications. Total free space: 740MB.

It's fine for the family member that is using it, but not enough for me.
That's why I have a 32GB iPhone. It's very comfortable

Hmm... I knew it would have less than the stated 8GB, but I didn't realize it was that much less.

OP, can you provide a little more info on how you'll use the Touch?

Since you have an iPad, you presumably won't load movies to the Touch - which would be the #1 reason for more memory.

8GB will give you a fair amount of music, especially if you down-convert to 128Kbps. Is highest bitrate music important to you or is 128K adequate?

Any particular app or usage you can think of that might cause the 8GB to be restrictive?
Well I manly want it to carry around a few apps, like the flash card program I use for school and a few casual games to kill time, and to video chat (Something I can't do with my first-gen iPad). I'd also like to listen to some music on it, since the headphone jack on my blackberry broke. Some web browsing. And the only other use I can think of right now is as a remote.

Yeah, I most likely won't load any movies onto the device.

High bitrate is not that important to me. In fact my local library is currently under 3GB.

I cannot think of any app at the moment.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I have 8gb. If you are disciplined about data management, I think it ought to be fine. I have podcasts, iTunes U audio and video, as well as various other apps. Mainly I use the iPod to listen to music (careful selection / rotation of playlists) and write (notes and essays using bluetooth keyboard).

I use a flash card program with it as well (gFlash Pro), and I am quite keen on it. If you keep all of your notes in Evernote (premium members can view offline notebooks) and use notecard apps, you can pretty much do your studying anytime/anywhere.

With all of the music streaming options out there, including your own music, I don't really see the point of having much memory. And, I have the iPad for watching hulu and so on.

alligator34

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Indiana
I'm in the market for an iPod touch [4th gen] to carry around. *I've already got a 32GB iPad, *so I am considering just getting the 8GB version. But I'd like to hear opinions on it specifically from people who own or have owned an 8GB iPod touch?

PS. I already know that I could get a refurbished 3rd gen for less, *but I really want the retina display and front-facing camera.*

I bought my 8 gig 4th gen in March. And its been the most used object in my life. For my uses, its just about perfect. I can carry my favorite songs and stream the rest from home sharing. Its my first apple product and I can see why people get hooked. Its lovely and fun.

Currently I've got 500 songs, 3 videos, 90 or so pictures, and 36 apps that I use. And still have over a 1.3gb left. Seriously its just about perfect.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I can't work out what the Sept 2011 upgrade was. My kid was given an 8GB iPod Touch as a present and trying to work out if it's the latest generation because when you put the serial number on Powerbook medic, you are told it is 4th Generation iPod Touch. I though the latest release in Sept 2011 was a 5th generation, albeit not much of an upgrade in spec (as far as I remember only the HD camera was up specked?)

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
You have no APPs you want to install??? What about all those Angry Birds :eek:

I just bought my kids 8GB Touch 4G's. They have about 300 songs, 20+ apps (mostly games and the odd educational that I force them to use!!!) and YouTube/email/Skype plus the odd short TV show (Horrible Histories... watch it... it's brilliant!)

8Gb is more than enough. They have 2-3 GB free space.

I've never seen the point of carrying around your entire media collection on the small device when you will have it somewhere else (PC/Mac at home or iCloud). How many songs can you listen to in one day anyway?!?!?!:confused:

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.