PDA

View Full Version : Best programs/apps

snowwhite007
Nov 17, 2011, 02:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just wondering what everyones running on there air and what programs/apps are worth getting.

N0ddie
Nov 17, 2011, 03:28 AM
Pages is handy for word processing etc.

nexsta
Nov 17, 2011, 03:31 AM
My essentials:

dropbox - best free cloud data service

chrome - best internet browser

steam - mac games platform, sometimes I play team fortress 2 (free) or half-life 2 deathmatch

unrarx - extraction utility

f.lux - it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

N0ddie
Nov 17, 2011, 03:34 AM
My essentials:

dropbox

chrome

steam

unrarx

f.lux

What do these actually do? Would be handy to know

theSeb
Nov 17, 2011, 04:00 AM
1PasswordPro - secure password / logins / software licenses / bank details/ etc manager
Xcode 4
Automator
Codebox - code snippet / pattern manager
Desktop monitor - shows temps etc in a nice overlay on the side
Dropbox
Evernote
Handbrake
iDentify - tag m4v/mp4 movie files so they look nice iTunes/iPhone/iPad
makeMKV - rip DVDs and BluRay into mkv containers
MediaInfo - allows you to view various codec etc info on audio files
MS Office 2011
Omnigraffle - drawing tool similar to visio for pretty diagrams, mock ups etc
Path Finder - replacement for Finder
Pixelmator - drawing program
VLC
XLD - allows you to create lossless FLAC movie files

joshuaginter
Nov 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
Needless to say, whatever is considered an app that is "worth it" is dependent on what you use your computer for.

I use my Air for consuming media and writing. So I am constantly using:

Reeder
Twitter for Mac
Pages
Word
Wikibot
Day One

I also edit the occasional photo and find Pixelmator to be pretty fantastic. Lastly, for heavy duty writing purposes, Scrivener is second to none.

convergent
Nov 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
My stack:

OmniFocus
DevonThink Pro Office
Adium
MS Office 2010
1Password
Parallels w/Win7
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Photoshop CS5
Cyberduck
Growl
LittleSnitch
MoneyWell
PandoraJam
Ripit
VLC
Tinkertool
TextWrangler
PandoraJam
Path Finder
OmniGraffle
OmniPlan

Also have Lotus Notes and Symphony for work.

snowwhite007
Nov 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
I can't find VLC in the appstore?

TheJing
Nov 17, 2011, 05:26 PM

Download it straight from the internet.

I would also recommend f.lux. Smartest app ever!

TheRealDamager
Nov 17, 2011, 08:33 PM
Download it straight from the internet.

I would also recommend f.lux. Smartest app ever!

There have been several recommendations for f.lux - I just dont get it. Can you help me understand what you love about this program? It just seems like its forcing me to use my screen with a weird gamma setting that I don't like much of the time....

TheJing
Nov 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
There have been several recommendations for f.lux - I just dont get it. Can you help me understand what you love about this program? It just seems like its forcing me to use my screen with a weird gamma setting that I don't like much of the time....

Use it when it's dark. Set it to a low setting (3000K) and use it for an hour or two. Turn it up to normal suddenly and you will realize why I love this program.

Your eyes will thank you.

If my English was better I'd probably be able to explain it in more detail but I think it's easier for you to just try it out and see for yourself.

Christopher387A
Nov 17, 2011, 09:43 PM
VLC Player
Office (or iWork equivalent)
Chrome
Unrarx

aph3x
Nov 17, 2011, 10:03 PM

As TheJing said - you really need to try this at night. If you are a person that uses your device before going to sleep programs like f.lux are a lifesaver. It *does* take a while to get used to but it can really benefit you at night. I especially like it on my iPad when I read because I have an easier time falling asleep if I haven't been staring at blue all night (disruptive to your sleep).

TheRealDamager
Nov 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
As TheJing said - you really need to try this at night. If you are a person that uses your device before going to sleep programs like f.lux are a lifesaver. It *does* take a while to get used to but it can really benefit you at night. I especially like it on my iPad when I read because I have an easier time falling asleep if I haven't been staring at blue all night (disruptive to your sleep).

Thanks for the responses guys - I appreciate it. I'll try it out.

Seasought
Nov 18, 2011, 11:53 AM

Glad I found this thread. At first I was a bit put off by it, but my eyes certainly feel better after using this. I don't know if it's placebo, or if it genuinely works (time will tell), but so far my eyes are grateful for it.

cedwhatev
Nov 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
I use BitTorrent, Evernote, CoconutBattery, VLC, Chrome and my latest one would be iA Writer, which is the best writing app I've ever used. Absolutely love it!

TheJing
Nov 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Glad I found this thread. At first I was a bit put off by it, but my eyes certainly feel better after using this. I don't know if it's placebo, or if it genuinely works (time will tell), but so far my eyes are grateful for it.

Try it at a low setting and turn it up suddenly. It's not placebo. ;)

snowwhite007
Nov 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

O notice ppl use Utorrent wat torrents are worth downloading?

chipz
Nov 18, 2011, 01:32 PM
Added to the others already mentioned, consider iBank as a replacement for Quicken and Libre Office as a replacement for M$ Office. Libre Office can read and save files in the M$ Office formats. Download it from libreoffice.org.

nexsta
Nov 19, 2011, 04:09 PM

O notice ppl use Utorrent wat torrents are worth downloading?

The world, chico. And everything in it. torrentz.com

Troneas
Nov 19, 2011, 04:16 PM

MPlayerX is in the appstore. Its better than VLC.

My Apps:

1Password
MPlayerX
Office 2011
Trillian
Transmission
AppCleaner
Caffeine
Dropbox
Handbreak
Onyx
The Unarchiver
PS CS5
TheJing
Nov 19, 2011, 04:36 PM
MPlayerX is in the appstore. Its better than VLC.

Why is MPlayerX better than VLC?

KnightWRX
Nov 19, 2011, 05:05 PM
Why is MPlayerX better than VLC?

IHhUcabwkuw

And actually, mPlayer OS X Extended is the current best. Rev15-test1 is the most up to date relase :

http://code.google.com/p/mplayerosxext/downloads/detail?name=MPlayer-OSX-Extended_rev15-test1.zip&can=2&q=

Kyllle
Nov 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
I just downloaded f.lux and have been using it for about 20 minutes now. I set it to the slow transition (1 hour), and it's interesting to watch it change over time, as the sun is just setting for me.

TheJing
Nov 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHhUcabwkuw)

And actually, mPlayer OS X Extended is the current best. Rev15-test1 is the most up to date relase :

http://code.google.com/p/mplayerosxext/downloads/detail?name=MPlayer-OSX-Extended_rev15-test1.zip&can=2&q=

Worst video ever. I'm just gonna keep using VLC since I never use subtitles anyway and I've never had a single problem with it.

KnightWRX
Nov 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Worst video ever. I'm just gonna keep using VLC since I never use subtitles anyway and I've never had a single problem with it.

It's the worst video ever because you use VLC or because what it describes isn't true ? VLC is a bad program and the video I posted gives you all the reasons why. Heck, it's creators never meant for it to be a good local based solution, it always was designed and made as a streaming solution.

TheJing
Nov 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
It's the worst video ever because you use VLC or because what it describes isn't true ? VLC is a bad program and the video I posted gives you all the reasons why. Heck, it's creators never meant for it to be a good local based solution, it always was designed and made as a streaming solution.

It plays all the formats I throw at it. What more do you want/need from a video player?

KnightWRX
Nov 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
It plays all the formats I throw at it. What more do you want/need from a video player?

Wait, you're repeating everything in my video out of sarcasm right ? :D

mPlayer OS X Extended plays all those same formats, has proper soft-sub support and seeking and none of the other retardedness of VLC. It uses the same codec library, FFmpeg.

Not to mention much superior key bindings.

TheJing
Nov 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
Wait, you're repeating everything in my video out of sarcasm right ? :D

mPlayer OS X Extended plays all those same formats, has proper soft-sub support and seeking and none of the other retardedness of VLC. It uses the same codec library, FFmpeg.

Not to mention much superior key bindings.

Haha! Yea I was ****** with you. I'm downloading it as soon as I get home.

GGJstudios
Nov 20, 2011, 01:50 AM
Just wondering what everyones running on there air and what programs/apps are worth getting.
A new Best Mac apps thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=796263)
Must-have apps and tweaks for MacBook Air newbies? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1227063)
your top 5 of macbook pro apps (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1166577)
Helpful Information for Any Mac User (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9848667&postcount=6)
What do these actually do? Would be handy to know
If you simply Google the name of each app, you'll quickly find each app's website, where you'll find detailed descriptions of what they do.

AppCleaner
In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12527023&postcount=6).