Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
Which is the better/faster/reliable way to serve my iTunes library from an external hard drive.

1. shared usb drive connected to Airport Extreme

or

2. shared usb drive connected to iMac

Whole network is wireless

Am I right in thinking that 1. will be a longer journey and therefore slower. i.e. router - iMac - router - ATV whereas 2. is just iMac - router -ATV

I have it set up as 2. at the moment and haven't had any problems but would like to share the iTunes library with another mac and 2 Droid phones when the iMac is not running.

ragu

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Which is the better/faster/reliable way to serve my iTunes library from an external hard drive.

1. shared usb drive connected to Airport Extreme

or

2. shared usb drive connected to iMac

Whole network is wireless

Am I right in thinking that 1. will be a longer journey and therefore slower. i.e. router - iMac - router - ATV whereas 2. is just iMac - router -ATV

I have it set up as 2. at the moment and haven't had any problems but would like to share the iTunes library with another mac and 2 Droid phones when the iMac is not running.

I would think that using your IMac means it is always on to stream but if you connected to the airport extreme it would be able to stream without the IMac and others can access it also...:)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008

Yes. Option 1 will effectively double the load on your wireless network. If all your are doing is watching a movie, it will still work fine. If there are other things using your wireless network, they might be affected.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.