Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Sorry if this has been posted already elsewhere:

"Healthy eating school pupils in Glasgow are to be rewarded with iPods and XBox consoles for ditching junk food.

Glasgow City Council is offering the electronic incentives to about 30,000 children in 29 secondary schools.

The pupils are given swipecards and can claim various prizes depending on the number of points they gain for eating "sensibly" on school premises.

A council spokeswoman said youngsters "wouldn't turn up their noses at winning an iPod for eating nice food".

They can redeem their points for a selection of goods - from cinema tickets and book tokens to top-of-the-range iPods and Xbox games consoles - at the end of the term. "

Full Article Here

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have no problems with rewarding desired behaviour from kids. Actually they should adopt these kind of measures on schools everywhere and not only for healthy eating but also for good behaviour in general. I think an iPod might be a mighty incentive for a potential troublemaker (or just a bored s*d, just as I was) to turn it down a notch or two and not disturb the class all the time...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Kids today have such a great life compared to being a kid in the 70s. ;)

I hate salad, but I'd eat 100 portions of it for an iPod!

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
But it isn't all the schools in Glasgow, my school aren't doing it :( .
Did you notice that it says in the text the kids get top-of-the-range iPods but the picture shows the boy with a shuffle. Now, the shuffle is pretty cool, but I would have thought they would get a 4G or mini as 'top-of-the-range' :confused: .

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my schools school dinners are provided by the same company that runs burger king, aka they are utterly crap and are very expensive, i take in a packed lunch.

most people cant belive my diet it's that healthy, and it's not because i want to get thin or anything, i'm just a vegan that likes to eat good food not that crap most people guzzle.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Good plan I must say! Junk food companies have been giving away iPods for a while now(I'm looking at you pepsi) it's about time healthy eating was rewarded in the same way!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OR! better still! just eat healthy all the time and live a lot longer! shock horror!

why cant kids be taught that all over the world? instead of offering presents?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.