Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philjo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Does anyone know what make/speed the SSD is that Apple supplies with the 2011 Mac Mini server?
There are no details of the specs on the Apple site - just that the 250GB SSD option with the Mini server would cost an additional £396.

The other option would be to obtain the SSD myself - which models does everyone recommend?
Not sure of the storage requirements - would want OS X & apps on there. Plus probably fusion/windows.
So likely to be either 120GB or 240GB

How easy is it to fit in a new mac mini? I intend to order separate RAM to upgrade myself - but am normally wary of changing other internal items.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
It will be cheaper to source an SSD yourself but for the price savings, it may not be worth it.

The SSD fits perfectly in the mini. I was able to install one in 10mins.

We are at $1/GB for SSD right now. Can't wait for that to drop!

FrozenShivers

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd go for a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830, installing my M4 next week when my torx screwdrivers arrived.

alq

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Panamá
I have two M4's (256GB) in my Mac Mini Server 2011 and they run very well.
The upgrade procedure is not that difficult if you aren't a complete noob.
I followed the video from OWC and everything was working nicely.

alq.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.