PDA

View Full Version : .mac ... more outages

chicagdan
Oct 12, 2002, 08:26 PM
Okay, the first couple of times I could accept it and the apology last week was nice, but now we've had two more major .mac outages in the past two days. I have two e-mail accounts on .mac that I assumed would be reliable. I paid $50 for the subscription and $10 for the extra e-mail address and I get a service no more reliable than Hotmail. This is unacceptable.

SilvorX
Oct 12, 2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by chicagdan
Okay, the first couple of times I could accept it and the apology last week was nice, but now we've had two more major .mac outages in the past two days. I have two e-mail accounts on .mac that I assumed would be reliable. I paid $50 for the subscription and $10 for the extra e-mail address and I get a service no more reliable than Hotmail. This is unacceptable.
i remember there was a huge msn messenger outage (i know thats way off topic) and everyone got furious since it lasted about 3 days or so+, even tho its free :S, but since .mac is costing ppl good money, customers deserve more than just an appology if theres not gonna end up being any new services (worth the money) within the year of the first year of subscription's up....

buffsldr
Oct 13, 2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by chicagdan

I am sure you read apple's reasoning. Apparently their networking vendor is not up to the job. They fired that vendor and have scheduled this downtime in order to migrate to another vendor. Before we get all excited, let's remember the "bath-tub" curve of product reliabilty. For those of you not familiar with it, it is a theory that states you have a lot of failures early on in the life of a product (mainly due to working out the proverbial "bugs"), followed by years of steady service (this would be the second and third revs of the product showing better performance due to elimination of the bugs), and finally the third stage we see an increase in faillures due to primarily time-based failure modes.

Okay, so some of this doesn't apply ( you may be thinking a lot of it doesn't) but my point is simple. Before you start riding apple too hard over this, remember that every new system will have bugs to work out. Those of us who signed on with .mac (as we did) chose to be early adopters. If you are an existing customer who paid $50 to get this service, you still chose to be an early adopter. Just as 10.0 gave us 10.2 eventually, I am hopeful apple will get this right.

Padrote
Nov 8, 2002, 05:58 PM
Just because we are early adaptors to the .mac service doesn't mean we have to suffer through its growing pains. Besides, .mac has was initially a free service and they could have worked out all the kinks there.

We have to expect more from our service providers, we simply can't accept excuses!

buffsldr
Nov 8, 2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Padrote
Just because we are early adaptors to the .mac service doesn't mean we have to suffer through its growing pains. Besides, .mac has was initially a free service and they could have worked out all the kinks there.

We have to expect more from our service providers, we simply can't accept excuses!

You are absolutely right. People don't have to "suffer through growing pains"? You chose to. You chose to when you laid down your cash for an unproven service. If you had read the reviews on their support site, you would have known about these problems. "Buyer beware".

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Nov 8, 2002, 09:03 PM
I'm so glad I didn't sign up for that crap now.