Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Agreed with the last poster - you are seriously in over your (or any other Air owners) head. You need to hit the Apple store.

Many things can be solved by going to the apple store. This is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

Apple seems to disagree...

Apple said:
Resolution

If you cannot remember the EFI firmware password for your MacBook Air, please schedule a service appointment with either an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Source

Also, consider the possible outcomes:

You take it in to Apple, they can't fix it, they replace it.
You try to fix it, you short out the Logic Board, you pay to have it fixed.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

Whoa there - just trying to help. Shorting out random pins on your logicboard may seem like a logical and rational way to proceed to you, but you are likely alone there. Next time I'll ignore your questions rather than be called condescending and ignorant for trying to help. Good luck to you.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
attemp to reset efi pw on first gen air

Any hardcore electrical engineers out there?

I'm an engineer (albiet not with a specialty in computer hardware).

Have you looked at the logic board where the memory is? Those pins are tiny and very close together (we're talking mils here). I wouldn't go near them with an average radio-shack soldering iron. That will likely desolder 10 pins at once, and warp the board form the heat.

Unless you have a microscope and a very very fine-point soldering iron (even better if it's CNC controlled), then you will likely fail. If you do have access to that equipment, then you will need to track down some documentation that will explain which pins do what. There are usually two pins that need to be connected while booting to reset the EFI memory. Traditionally the motherboard manufacturer clearly labels these pins. I doubt that is the case inside an MBA. An internal Apple repair manual might have that information for debugging/refurbishing purposes.

My advice is also to not attempt this. Even with the right equipment and documentation, you're odds of success are less than 50%.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I'm an engineer (albiet not with a specialty in computer hardware).

There are usually two pins that need to be connected while booting to reset the EFI memory. Traditionally the motherboard manufacturer clearly labels these pins. I doubt that is the case inside an MBA. An internal Apple repair manual might have that information for debugging/refurbishing purposes.

I know the layout of the logic board but not looking to desoldering a chip.

Just need some advice on disabling it temporally whether by shorting power supply to the chip or some method keen to an engineer.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I know the layout of the logic board but not looking to desoldering a chip.

Just need some advice on disabling it temporally whether by shorting power supply to the chip or some method keen to an engineer.

efi password can be reset by taking a wire and connecting two tin pads on the logic board, shorting out memory will just ruin the logic board....not reset anything.

ill see if i can locate the location on the logic board for you.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
the rEFIt shell has a command called dmpstore which allows you the clear all or parts of the NVRAM.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
No offense OP but its pure stupid not to take this to an Apple store. It doesn't matter what you read in a genius service manual, that is just a guideline. If/when you screw it up you'll be out an air. If you take it to Apple and let them handle it and they screw it up, you get a new air.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
No offense OP but its pure stupid not to take this to an Apple store. It doesn't matter what you read in a genius service manual, that is just a guideline. If/when you screw it up you'll be out an air. If you take it to Apple and let them handle it and they screw it up, you get a new air.

Maybe there's a reason why someone wouldn't want to take a machine into the Apple store... that has a password... that they do not know.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008

Waste of time, there are no geniuses that would go out of their way and not follow guidelines. He'll be liable and probably be rebuked by the store manager. Besides, it's out of warranty and they won't even touch it unless it was a dead simple fix.

The macbook air is already out of commission, so there are no negatives to learning and trying new things on the logic board.

No, it's not stolen. Lay off of the skepticism.

Lets get back on topic shall we and stop suggesting that I bring it to the store.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Waste of time, there are no geniuses that would go out of their way and not follow guidelines. He'll be liable and probably be rebuked by the store manager. Besides, it's out of warranty and they won't even touch it unless it was a dead simple fix.

The macbook air is already out of commission, so there are no negatives to learning and trying new things on the logic board.

No, it's not stolen. Lay off of the skepticism.

Lets get back on topic shall we and stop suggesting that I bring it to the store.

Wow aren't you rude to people who were trying to help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.