Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

me: verizon, iphone 4, 5.0.1, imessage with phone number only
friend: sprint, non-iphone, ipod touch 4, imessage with email

I am not sure of how the mechanics of imessage work.

When this friend and I text from his phone, they show up as green. No problem. When he texts me from his ipod, it shows up as a different thread in my message list but with his same name and photo, as imessage. His contact has his phone number and all of his email addresses.

As far as I know, I am only listed in imessage by my phone number. He is obviously registered as his email, but he can send messages to my phone number from an email? Or is it all the same? I don't understand how that part works either.

Is there any way I can get these 2 threads to combine? I didn't think it should matter what email or phone nbr they are coming from, as long as they are all listed under the same contact, they should thread the same right?

He is the only person this happens with.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
When this friend and I text from his phone, they show up as green. No problem. When he texts me from his ipod, it shows up as a different thread in my message list but with his same name and photo, as imessage. His contact has his phone number and all of his email addresses.

This is normal behavior.

I have a friend with a similar set-up, Phone + iPod touch, and our conversations are split depending from which device we text each other from.

nivekr11

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
We would have to change his iMessage caller ID on his phone. It defaults to use the phone number. I set mine to use my iCloud email so people don't get 2 threads from me.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
We would have to change his iMessage caller ID on his phone. It defaults to use the phone number. I set mine to use my iCloud email so people don't get 2 threads from me.

This method works for when you want to keep your multiple iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad) in sync with the same conversation. But it doesn't work in this combo (non iPhone + iPod touch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.