Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I noticed after Match did its thing, I was missing album art for roughly 75 albums in iTunes. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why since all of my music had correct metadata and album art prior to using Match.
It seems that iTunes has a bug that causes it to not display the art even though it is embedded in the songs. I'll go ahead and list my setup and hopefully this will help anyone else that is missing art.

1.) In iTunes, I'm viewing by album and using the view option that's the 3rd one from the left. This way it's easier to see what's missing art.

2.) Find an album that is missing art and open it. When viewing the songs of the album, control click or right click any of the songs and select 'Get Info'.

3.) That's it. You don't even need to hit 'Okay'. I just hit 'Cancel' and the art stayed. Once the 'Get Info' window opens, your art should just pop back in. I tried this on all of my albums that were missing art and it worked on all but one.

I will say however that my friend at work tried this same thing and it didn't seem to work for him, so your milage may vary. Even if it may not work for all, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
It seems that iTunes has a bug that causes it to not display the art even though it is embedded in the songs. I'll go ahead and list my setup and hopefully this will help anyone else that is missing art.
Nice catch, thanks. I was able to recover a few album covers that way.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I found that since the latest update iTunes really doesn't like downloading artwork for me at all. I ripped the new CD from Snow Patrol, and despite it being on iTunes, it just won't download the artwork. I was thinking that perhaps Apple are trying to identify tracks that are stolen and are reducing the 'service' they provide. Perhaps their algorithm isn't quite working as it should?

Will however try your fix for artwork that is missing. I'm not using iTunes Match, but quite a few albums have stopped displaying their previously downloaded artwork. Thanks for the tip.

garbeth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Brisvegas
Did you try selecting your whole library and getting info on all of it at once?

I'm having this problem as well. Selecting get info does indeed bring it back but unfortunately selecting all and then get info doesn't work.
Getting to be quite frustrating!

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
The problem I have with iTunes Match is that album artwork displays fine in iTunes, but some are missing on my iPhone.

Any fix for that?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
This is not only affecting music but movies as well. I will rip a dvd, tag it (including artwork, import it into iTunes, and everything shows but the artwork. Usually the "get info" trick gets the artwork to show, but sometimes not. And sometimes the artwork will show in one view and not others (such as it will show in "All Movies" but not show under Genre). I have never found a solution for this last problem.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The problem I have with iTunes Match is that album artwork displays fine in iTunes, but some are missing on my iPhone.

Any fix for that?

The only thing I've read was to turn off Match from the device and turn it back on. Of course YMMV. I've had a few with art that comes and goes. I'd guarantee Apple is aware of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.