PDA

View Full Version : I need some honest opinions

Ansley
Nov 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
I am currently in my sophomore year in college. I have had a laptop for a while and am looking into getting either the iPad or MacBook.. My old laptop is completely crashed, so I don't know if I should stay with a laptop such as the MacBook or go with the iPad?? Please help me decide..:)

wrinkster22
Nov 17, 2011, 09:30 PM
well it really does depend on your usage.
the iPad is better for consuming (web pages, youtube, etc.)
while any mac is better for creating.
OP there are litterly thousands of threads of people discussing the iPad as a computer replacement. Please give us more info.

Ansley
Nov 17, 2011, 09:35 PM
Thank you. My main use for computers are- writing papers, checking school email, Facebook, twitter, and pictures :) so I'm kinda torn be the two because the ipadnwould be so much easier to carry around while the MacBook might be easier to type papers on..

----------

Oh and howndid I forget....MUSiC!!

----------

Oh and how did i forget....MUSiC!!

Kelped
Nov 17, 2011, 10:39 PM
For school, I would definitely get a laptop. You never know what kind of websites (WebCT, flash, etc) or software your courses will require.

Kelped
Nov 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
For school, I would definitely get a laptop. You never know what kind of websites (WebCT, flash, etc) or software your courses will require.

Queen6
Nov 17, 2011, 10:45 PM
i5 Core, 256Gb 13" Air, forget the iPad it`s more of a supplemental device. I have both, the iPad is ok for taking notes, however for creating serious content the Air is superior by several magnitudes. Depending on your use a 128Gb SSD may be sufficient, for me it`s too tight.

ZBoater
Nov 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
Do you have a computer? Having an ipad as your only computer in college is not really a good idea...

ZBoater
Nov 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
Oops. Freak multi post accident. Please ignore.

ZBoater
Nov 17, 2011, 10:47 PM

ZBoater
Nov 17, 2011, 10:47 PM

thejadedmonkey
Nov 17, 2011, 11:09 PM
13" Macbook Air? It's a little more pricy than an iPad, but it sounds like what you need.

Kelped
Nov 17, 2011, 11:54 PM

Queen6
Nov 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
i5 Core, 256Gb 13" Air, forget the iPad it`s more of a supplemental device. I have both, the iPad is ok for taking notes, however for creating serious content the Air is superior by several magnitudes. Depending on your use a 128Gb SSD may be sufficient, for me it`s too tight.

Yumunum
Nov 18, 2011, 12:04 AM
I've gone part of a school year with only an iPad. I later sold it and bought one of the new Airs.

You WILL miss normal computer functionality. It really sucks when you get in a dire situation

I want to buy an iPad again to use MOST of the time, but I know I still need my Mac at the end of the day

alust2013
Nov 18, 2011, 12:11 AM
Definitely do not rely on an iPad as your only form of a computer for college. Typing papers would be a nightmare, many websites that schools use are either a pain or completely unusable on an iPad and collaborating on group projects would be a pain as well. The iPad is great for a lot of things, but it is not a replacement for an actual computer. Plus, if you really want to go small, the 11" air isn't a ton bigger than the iPad.

stickybuns
Nov 18, 2011, 12:27 AM
Get the MBA, especially if you're writing papers on it. I can always tell when students are typing their papers on an iPad because of the ridiculous autocorrect typos.

heyloo
Nov 18, 2011, 12:42 AM
iPad will never 'replace' your computer. It does a lot of things that could mimic what a computer does, but especially for college, it won't be enough for you. Get the MBA. You won't regret it ;)

kulimer
Nov 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
I will go with Mac Air. Honestly(since you asked), ipad and Mac Air are not substitutes for each other. You can do everything on Mac Air that's done on ipad, but not vice versa.

I love the ipad, but I never considered it a necessity for college. Sometimes it's not practical. Imagine typing a 1000-word essay on ipad, and then trying to edit it. Are you an engineer? Image trying to write a for loop with touch screen. It's not going to work.

odin2free
Nov 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
to be honest you could go with something alot cheaper and save money for say going out with your lady friends...

i know this is macs but still
You could go with an asus notebook
or a netbook to be honest it can handle alot but it depends as all others say what kind of classes your going to be taking...and what kind of programs you need to run

Stein357
Nov 18, 2011, 10:44 PM
In my opinion, the iPad just isn't powerful enough for college needs. The browser can't handle some non-mobile optimized sites and Pages isn't as powerful as the OSX version or Word.

Risasi
Nov 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
Unless you can get away with typing SMS message length papers, a proper keyboard would better suit your needs.

chrono1081
Nov 19, 2011, 01:46 AM
I'd go with the 11 inch air if I were you. Small and light and ALMOST like carrying an iPad, but its a full computer.

mannix87
Nov 19, 2011, 02:32 AM
MacBook. More versatile.