PDA

View Full Version : Anybody's MBA show signs of slowing down?

saintforlife
Nov 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
I have a 2010 MBA (1.86/4G/128) that is still running on Snow Leopard. I have seen over the past couple of weeks the computer is showing signs of slowing down just a bit. Examples:

1. Wake up from sleep used to be instant and I could start moving the mouse cursor as soon as the screen came back on. Now it takes a couple of seconds before I can move the mouse.

2. Cold start-up used to take 12-13 seconds and now it takes 14-15 seconds.

3. Shut down takes 4-5 seconds now, used to be between 2 to 3 seconds.

The only applications that are loaded on the MBA from day one are: Google Chrome, MS Office for Mac 2011 and Coconut Battery. Nothing else. My hard drive still has 89 GB free space.

Is that just normal aging of the computer and the slow downs are to be expected? Will upgrading to the Lion make the speed better? Don't get me wrong, the computer is still plenty fast and hands down the fastest computer I've ever owned. But still I hope it doesn't continue to get slower and slower like all my Windows machines. This is my first Mac and I hope to use it for a long time.

The Samurai
Nov 17, 2011, 11:42 PM
Might be worthwhile doing a P-RAM reset. (google.com is your best friend :D )

saintforlife
Nov 19, 2011, 04:06 AM
Will upgrading to the Lion help with this issue?

halledise
Nov 19, 2011, 05:48 AM
Will upgrading to the Lion help with this issue?

no.

Lion is memory hungry

run reset PRAM as suggested.

then repair Disk Permissions - if you still believe in it ;)

finally run these commands one at a time in Terminal and your Air will fly once more.

sudo chown root:admin /

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches