Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebscb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Question: I've been using Powerlogix cache control for OS X for a while now. I have a Pismo G3 400 and have up the speed to 200 mhz (2:1). Tonight for kicks I have increased the speed to 267 mhz (3:2). I have noticed a significant performance boost.

What are the risks and potential problems of running the L2 cache at this overclocked speed?

Thanks in advance....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Unstable system due to decreased cache reliability - increases in kernal panics, programs crashing, etc.

On the extreme end - running things too fast in a portable can overheat the actual cache memory chips or support circuits and kill something.

rebscb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply....

Do you know where I can find the specs on the type of cache memory chips that Apple installed in this model Pismo (G3 400)?

I've seen the temperature of the cache go up by 18 degrees over the last hour , but still no fan. At what temp does the fan usually come on?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
if your system is running fine, then itll be fine. if you dont have any stability problems or odd behavior its running just fine.

also if its any warmer to the touch than usual it may be unsafe, other than that, it is falling well within the guidelines of the processor staying healthy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.