PDA

View Full Version : Taking iBook on a plane

yg17
May 20, 2005, 12:23 PM
I'm leaving for vacation 2 weeks from Sunday. First time flying since 9/11 and first time taking anything more valuable than a cheap portable CD player with me in my carryon. My iBook and iPod will be going with me. So will there be any issues with security? Will the X-Ray machine or metal detector screw up anything on my iBook or iPod?

Also, since I'm in coach and I dont believe power jacks are available (nor do I have a cigarette lighter adapter), do you guys think my iBook battery will last the full flight from St. Louis to NY-Laguardia (nonstop) while watching a DVD or something?

Thanks.

sethypoo
May 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
I'm leaving for vacation 2 weeks from Sunday. First time flying since 9/11 and first time taking anything more valuable than a cheap portable CD player with me in my carryon. My iBook and iPod will be going with me. So will there be any issues with security? Will the X-Ray machine or metal detector screw up anything on my iBook or iPod?

Also, since I'm in coach and I dont believe power jacks are available (nor do I have a cigarette lighter adapter), do you guys think my iBook battery will last the full flight from St. Louis to NY-Laguardia (nonstop) while watching a DVD or something?

Thanks.

Your iPod and iBook will be fine on your trip. The x-ray detector will have no effect on your hardware; be aware that when you get up to the security screening location, they will make you take your iBook out of your carry on and its case and place it on a seperate tray to be sent through the x-ray machine.

I would recommend turning off your Airport card before you board the plane.....I don't know for sure how the Airport signal effects the pilots communications equipment, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I pray you have a safe trip, to and from where ever you're going.

Seth

puckhead193
May 20, 2005, 12:31 PM
The airport security will make you take your ibook out and place it in a sepreate container. BUT i would recommand putting a jacket or a sweater over it so when you go to the otherside no one will really see your ibook sitting their. keep your eye on it while passing through. Other then that its pretty painless. Just keep your eye on it while passing through security. Also make sure the container is free of sand and dirt, i heard alot of people PB getting scratched from it.
Have fun in NY, its a great city

yg17
May 20, 2005, 12:33 PM
Your iPod and iBook will be fine on your trip. The x-ray detector will have no effect on your hardware; be aware that when you get up to the security screening location, they will make you take your iBook out of your carry on and its case and place it on a seperate tray to be sent through the x-ray machine.

I would recommend turning off your Airport card before you board the plane.....I don't know for sure how the Airport signal effects the pilots communications equipment, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I pray you have a safe trip, to and from where ever you're going.

Seth

Thanks.

I'll probably just take out my Airport card before I leave and throw it in my bag and install it when I get to the hotel since that takes 30 seconds, then go around New York City finding free WiFi :D

Gwendolyn
May 20, 2005, 12:38 PM
We had no problems taking my husband's PowerBook and iPod on a plane from Boston to Oakland... except that at security, they make you take it out of the case and put it in its own plastic container, and my husband accidentally dropped it on the ground. :o It wasn't far, maybe about a foot and a half, but he was pretty devastated and worried--at least until he realized there wasn't any damage and he was lucky. It's probably worth being careful to keep an eye on it for security purposes--we used a Booq Powersleeve and put it into a normal Jansport backpack so it wouldn't attract the wrong kind of attention. The X-Ray machines didn't hurt the equipment.

My parents recently flew with a (PC) laptop and had put it in the overhead compartment, and weren't careful enough opening the compartment after the flight, causing their laptop to fall from a great height and break despite being in some kind of protective case. So if you store it in the overhead compartment, you might want to be careful of that hazard as well. We also know a guy whose laptop screen was broken while it was sitting on the tray and the person in front of them suddenly reclined their seat. I don't know if it was an Apple laptop or not, or what the probability is that this would ever happen again, but just mentioned it so you could watch for that in case you were worried about it. On our flight, my husband still broke down and used his laptop a bit, but not very much, and he was very careful about it--probably in part due to his scare in the X-Ray line (and since he didn't use it very much, I won't address your question about battery usage, but hopefully someone here can help!).

KingSleaze
May 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
Playing a DVD is particularly trying on the battery, bring a spare. Having taken my powerbook on several trips, don't worry about Airport being turned on, nothing on my flights noticed it (however, I think Jet Blue might be putting wifi on their planes for passengers to use for in flight access to the internet). Keep an eye on your book going through security. Enjoy the trip.

buryyourbrideau
May 20, 2005, 12:53 PM
just make sure you do a full charge before the trip and set the processor settings to the lowest possible

im sure you will be alright :)

yg17
May 20, 2005, 01:12 PM
Playing a DVD is particularly trying on the battery, bring a spare. Having taken my powerbook on several trips, don't worry about Airport being turned on, nothing on my flights noticed it (however, I think Jet Blue might be putting wifi on their planes for passengers to use for in flight access to the internet). Keep an eye on your book going through security. Enjoy the trip.

Yeah, I was considering purchasing a spare until I saw the price, I can live with not being able to use my iBook for a bit on the plane ;)

wordmunger
May 20, 2005, 01:28 PM
One caution: Make sure your iPod goes through the X-Ray machine -- you don't want it anywhere near the magnetic walk-through detector. That's what can damage it.

By contrast, if you have a regular film camera, you should try to take that through the walk-through: the X-Rays will expose the film. If they won't let you take it through the walk-through, ask for a hand inspection.

Aaon
May 20, 2005, 01:33 PM
If you're flying STL-LGA, there is a strong chance you're flying American, in which case there may be power available to you on the flight. I've never done this, but many co-workers say its easy to use. You will need an adapter, but these can be found at many stores such as Radio Shack and Best Buy. If you are unsure if power will be available, give the airline a quick call, and they may be able to tell you.

And don't worry about the x-ray machine. As people have said, the laptop will have to go through separately, but no damage will occur. The only thing I worry about is scratches from the bins that you put the laptops in...

andiwm2003
May 20, 2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks.

I'll probably just take out my Airport card before I leave and throw it in my bag and install it when I get to the hotel since that takes 30 seconds, then go around New York City finding free WiFi :D

leave the airport in. on some flights they have wireless internet, on my last flight from europe (lufthansa) it was even for free. that keeps you up to date with macrumors and what can be more important?

The Past
May 20, 2005, 02:34 PM
Why pull Airport out? Just turn it off from the menu.

I have used an iBook on STL-JFK with brightness on 1 and Airport turned off without any power issues. On movies, I think you may get better battery life if you are reading off your HD than a disc. Of course, non-issue if you are viewing commercial DVDs.

2wheeler
May 20, 2005, 02:37 PM
If you're flying STL-LGA, there is a strong chance you're flying American, in which case there may be power available to you on the flight. I've never done this, but many co-workers say its easy to use. You will need an adapter, but these can be found at many stores such as Radio Shack and Best Buy. If you are unsure if power will be available, give the airline a quick call, and they may be able to tell you.

If you know your seat # and what type of plane you're flying on, Seat Expert (http://www.seatexpert.com/) will tell you whether or not you have seat power.

mipsmonsta
May 21, 2005, 09:37 PM
leave the airport in. on some flights they have wireless internet, on my last flight from europe (lufthansa) it was even for free. that keeps you up to date with macrumors and what can be more important?

Is there on coach or business class? Cannot imagine free internet access since most airport are not even free. Is it me or are wireless hotspots are dwindling in numbers.

Macky-Mac
May 21, 2005, 11:23 PM
if you're flying on American Airlines you'll find that they tell you to disable your wireless if you want to use your laptop

dotdotdot
May 21, 2005, 11:31 PM
Heres the deal:

XRay is not harmful at all, except you dont want to leave it on or in sleep... turn it off.

A lot of the time, they will pick it up, open it, or ask you to turn it on. Also, my dads Dell notebook got scratched because they put this cream on it to check for stuff on it...

Turn off the airport and bluetooth, because this will interfere with the pilot stuff, unless they let you use wireless internet.

AND, the most important thing: make sure you keep your eye on it the entire time! They make you leave your iPod and iBook open infront of everyone, and if something beeps, you'll go to the side and stretch out your arms and legs and they will scan you while your iPod and iBook are in the open for anyone to take.

Finally, turn off everything until they say its safe to use approved electronics.

---

Just a tip, if you see some idiot talking on their cell phone during the flight, tell them to hang up or call a flight attendant. I was on 2 flights with people on their cell phones and both flights the flight attendants took their cell phones away until they landed.

Anonymous Freak
May 23, 2005, 01:37 AM
AirPort and Bluetooth will *NOT* interfere with anything on the plane. (Other than possibly other people trying to use AirPort or Bluetooth.) Neither will cell phones. (Nextel possibly, GSM and CDMA are 100% safe.) It's all scare tactics. Not a single incident has ever been proven to have been caused by passenger-carried common consumer electronics.

Now, if you're carrying a handheld aircraft-frequency scanner, *THAT* might interfere. But don't worry about AirPort and Bluetooth. (Don't try to argue with the flight attendants, either, though. Just say "Yes," and make a show of turning it off. Then turn it right back on when they've walked away, if you actually have need for it. But, it's also better for your battery to leave them off.)

I always find it fun to turn on AirPort, see if there are any other people on the plane with a Peer-to-peer AirPort network going, and see what I find. (I talked to a guy over iChat/Rendezvous (or Bonjour, as it's now called,) on my recent flight to Hawaii. Turns out he was about 12 rows behind me, opposite side of the plane.)

As for the X-Ray machine? As was mentioned, don't let undeveloped film go through (it isn't guaranteed to destroy it, but it will make pictures on it turn out a little grainy,) but other than that, anything you'll be carrying should be fine. As for the metal detector? It's 100% safe for anything. Both are safe for a computer even if it's on or in sleep mode. I usually keep mine in sleep so I can quickly prove it's a real computer if they ask me to turn it on.

Mechcozmo
May 23, 2005, 02:31 AM

Just leave it in and turn if off via the menu bar...

Then turn it right back on when they've walked away, if you actually have need for it. But, it's also better for your battery to leave them off.)

I've never found a use for Airport on a plane, or Bluetooth... so mine stay off.

As for the X-Ray machine? As was mentioned, don't let undeveloped film go through (it isn't guaranteed to destroy it, but it will make pictures on it turn out a little grainy,) but other than that, anything you'll be carrying should be fine. As for the metal detector? It's 100% safe for anything. Both are safe for a computer even if it's on or in sleep mode. I usually keep mine in sleep so I can quickly prove it's a real computer if they ask me to turn it on.

Actually sleep isn't a great state for your Mac to be in as it passes through. Because the information is stored in RAM, if some radiation flips a few bits then your Mac may be unable to wake up, forcing you to hard-restart it.

javiercr
May 23, 2005, 05:09 AM
Is there on coach or business class? Cannot imagine free internet access since most airport are not even free. Is it me or are wireless hotspots are dwindling in numbers.

Luftwansa is the only one doing it right now, it's a trial and that's why it's free.

YS2003
May 26, 2005, 08:51 PM
If you take more than one notebook computer, does it cause problems at the security? I have a work pc and personal Mac and I am wondering if I can take both when I travel. Or, I take 3 or 4 notebooks with me via plan when I move to different city. Has anyone tried that? I don't want people touching my computers and I would like to be as hassel free as possible.

dmw007
May 26, 2005, 09:11 PM
Just watch that no overly jealous windblows user tries to steal your iBook. Windows causes people to do odd things. :p

Invizzible
May 26, 2005, 09:22 PM
I took a 17" powerbook and a 12" ibook on a flight once, and they didn't hassle me about having two laptops. Also, some planes provide empower jacks for coach seats, but sometimes only SOME of the seats have it. Ask your airline which, if any, seats on your flight have it. I used the cheapest cord I could find to plug into the empower jack. It was $29 from the Apple store. The cord says it won't charge the battery up, only power the laptop, but it actually did recharge the battery while I was watching movies.

BKKloppenborg
May 26, 2005, 09:25 PM
By contrast, if you have a regular film camera, you should try to take that through the walk-through: the X-Rays will expose the film. If they won't let you take it through the walk-through, ask for a hand inspection.

true my family and i went to Egypt one year for fun and took i swear to god about 50 rolls of film.. Anyways on the way back we told the security that we didn't want to put film in the security X-Ray because it would dammage it and that he was more then welcome to look though all 50 rolls LOL... He said no and made us put the Film in X-ray and then it was dammged most of film was eaten alive were were pissed...

yg17
May 26, 2005, 09:30 PM
true my family and i went to Egypt one year for fun and took i swear to god about 50 rolls of film.. Anyways on the way back we told the security that we didn't want to put film in the security X-Ray because it would dammage it and that he was more then welcome to look though all 50 rolls LOL... He said no and made us put the Film in X-ray and then it was dammged most of film was eaten alive were were pissed...
Thats why you get those lead bags to put film in. The lead blocks the x-rays, keeping the film safe

annk
Jun 17, 2005, 02:30 AM
Sorry for the late post, just saw this thread...

One airline (think it was Continental) told me that taking two laptops on board in addition to carry-on luggage was out of the question, but when I persisted and suggested that one laptop could be put in the carry-on and one carried separately, the customer service woman said that would be fine. Strange, since it stands to reason that you'd have to take the one laptop out of the carry-on to prove it's a laptop (I assume they'd see it when the bag was x-rayed). So why you just couldn't carry on two, is a mystery.

smurphur
Jun 17, 2005, 03:05 AM
AirPort and Bluetooth will *NOT* interfere with anything on the plane. (Other than possibly other people trying to use AirPort or Bluetooth.) Neither will cell phones. (Nextel possibly, GSM and CDMA are 100% safe.) It's all scare tactics. Not a single incident has ever been proven to have been caused by passenger-carried common consumer electronics.

It's not really used as a scare tactic. It's used to make sure passengers are alert during takeoff and landing. The majority of airplane problems happen during takeoff or landing, and if you have half the people talking on their cell phones you don't have their attention in the case of an emergency and you have to tell them things to do. Look at people driving their cars on their cell phones, so many accidents are caused by that alone. But ya, electronics such as cell phones and computers don't cause interferance with aviation radios as they use completely differnt frequencies.

kyuuki
Jun 17, 2005, 04:45 AM

Thanks.

lol you americans crack me up ... seriously ...

annk
Jun 17, 2005, 05:00 AM
lol you americans crack me up ... seriously ...

Is it entertaining that people who seldom fly, ask about routines that relate to air travel with expensive computer equipment?

I think not... :rolleyes:

yg17 - this thread is a few weeks old, so you may already have taken your trip, but just in case - you shouldn't have any problems, just expect you might have to open the computer to show that that's really what it is, and DO take quite seriously the warnings to keep an eye on your machine. I always send my teenage son through first, so he can stand there and wait to pick up the laptop while I'm going through.

Security can take a bit longer than it did before 9/11, but on the whole it goes smoothly. Personally I like that they're more thorough.

YS2003
Sep 10, 2005, 07:15 AM
Someone on this thread said CO only allows one laptop in a carry on baggage. When I decide to move overseas (on a semi permanent basis), I would rather take my 3 PBs and 1 iBook in a carry on bag as I don't trust baggage handling by the airlines. Or, is it better to ship them as a "personal effect" air shipment through the freight company?

skubish
Sep 10, 2005, 07:31 AM
Someone on this thread said CO only allows one laptop in a carry on baggage. When I decide to move overseas (on a semi permanent basis), I would rather take my 3 PBs and 1 iBook in a carry on bag as I don't trust baggage handling by the airlines. Or, is it better to ship them as a "personal effect" air shipment through the freight company?

It is best to take them with you if you can. Are you travelling by yourself? If yes, I find it will be hard for you to find a bag to hold all those notebooks. Basically most of the airlines allow 1 carryon bag and 1 briefcase, purse, or laptop case. You're not going to be able to carryon 4 laptops bags, I can guarantee that.

Probably what I would do is pack 3 laptops in a small carryon suitcase and 1 laptop in its laptop bag. Pack the cables and accessories separately and just check it in.

I can't understand why one person would need 4 laptops. You may want to sell a few of those and buy new after you move.

YS2003
Sep 10, 2005, 07:50 AM
Probably what I would do is pack 3 laptops in a small carryon suitcase and 1 laptop in its laptop bag. Pack the cables and accessories separately and just check it in.

I am thinking about that too. PBs are slim enough and a 12" iBook is also slim ennough to fit in one mid sized computer bag. I will put those PBs in Radtech Sleeves to prevent scratching. Since Apple's technical specification sheet states the optimum operating condition is less than 10,000 feet and I believe most of the international or long haul flights are flying over that (please correct me if I am wrong). So, I won't be using them too much on the airline.

Accessories will be shipped in my checked suitecase or I can ship them in a separate air shipment with the freigth company. The tricky part will be how I can move my ACDs. I kept the original packagings in my garage and I think I need to use them when I ship them overseas when I move.

I like keeping multiple computers as I don't like the situation only having one main and one portable. If one of them breaks or needs repair, it will cause some inconvenience. So far, I have enough machines to keep me up and running and I like my current set up in which I can take out either my 12" iBook or 12" PB for travel depending on my mood. When I do decide to move from States, my next additional Mac should be PowerMac as I intend to settle after the next move (I don't have to worry about carrying this 35 lbs machine when I move).

StealthRider
Sep 10, 2005, 08:41 AM
...Since Apple's technical specification sheet states the optimum operating condition is less than 10,000 feet and I believe most of the international or long haul flights are flying over that (please correct me if I am wrong). So, I won't be using them too much on the airline.

Most commercial flights fly above 30,000 feet...BUT the cabin is pressurized to roughly what the air pressure would be at sea level. Apple's "operating conditions" are directed at people who are above 10,000 feet without the benefit of a pressurized cabin.

20rogersc
Sep 10, 2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for this thread guys, I too am considering taking my iBook on the plane to Australia next year. Now I definately am . . .

::20ROGERSC::

mad jew
Sep 10, 2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for this thread guys, I too am considering taking my iBook on the plane to Australia next year. Now I definately am . . .

::20ROGERSC::

Give us a yell when you get here if you need any help/company. :)

skubish
Sep 10, 2005, 08:13 PM
Most commercial flights fly above 30,000 feet...BUT the cabin is pressurized to roughly what the air pressure would be at sea level. Apple's "operating conditions" are directed at people who are above 10,000 feet without the benefit of a pressurized cabin.

Yep. What it means is if you leave on a mountain, don't buy a Mac. Using a notebook on a plane is perfectly fine.

berkleeboy210
Sep 10, 2005, 08:56 PM
I don't know about you guys, But I've had bad luck w/ Security Recently at Airports.

The Most recent trip I was on just last monday, I was flying to Florida.

I had my PowerBook, my ipod and Digital Camera, and I got stopped! They put that wand thing in my carry on the put it through another machine before I was allowed to leave security.

Mac_Freak
Sep 10, 2005, 10:29 PM
It's not really used as a scare tactic. It's used to make sure passengers are alert during takeoff and landing. The majority of airplane problems happen during takeoff or landing, and if you have half the people talking on their cell phones you don't have their attention in the case of an emergency and you have to tell them things to do. Look at people driving their cars on their cell phones, so many accidents are caused by that alone. But ya, electronics such as cell phones and computers don't cause interferance with aviation radios as they use completely differnt frequencies.

I know this post is kinda old but I would like ad one more thing to this comment.
Also in case of emergency or if anything was going to happen, you wouldn't want to be in a cabin full of flying 7.lbs objects - laptops that is.