Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Ever since I turned on/subscribed to iTunes Match 4 days ago my Western Digital MyBook external that I use as my iTunes drive had unexpectedly disconnected from my iMac Mini. I notice this when I wake my Mac and I get the warning that one of my drives was not put away properly.

I have had other drives misbehave like this in the past, but not this one or this model. Anyone else have this issue? It may not be specifically with the Match service, but the latest version of iTunes not communicating well with the drive? I upgraded iTunes the same day I subscribed to Match.

Because of the disconnect, it took me two nights to fully migrate and match my library. The first disconnect may have been when my system is set to sleep, so for the second night, I did not allow my computer to sleep. It completed my entire library, but the next day when I went back in, my external had disconnected once again.

Am I the only one having this issue? Any thoughts?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Well, since I appear to be the only one, I will chalk it up to the controller inside the HDD starting to go wonky. This drive is around 2 years old, so it's about due for something to happen.

The good thng about Match is that I still have access to all of my music, since it's in the cloud. :)

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Yup I think it might just be you. I sure have found plenty of issues with iTunes Match, but that wasn't one of the problems. Hopefully you don't have a dire need to replace that hard drive as current prices are pretty disgusting.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Yea, sounds like it's just me. Luckily, I have an extra one lying around.

Although, I had thought about buying a new enclosure as it's probably what is failing and not the drive itself. I have read of multiple problems with automatic disconnects with the mini-USB 2.0 connectors, which is what this has.

Thanks!

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
UPDATE: Strangely enough, with the HDD error, I obviously had issues getting my whole library to Match so 5 days ago I put the last batch (maybe 50-75 songs of my 10,000+) into the Match service and lo-and-behold, my HDD has not disconnected since.

Don't ask me why...I'm certainly not going to question it. I just wanted to let anyone who might encounter this issue in the future see what happened to me. :/

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
UPDATE: Strangely enough, with the HDD error, I obviously had issues getting my whole library to Match so 5 days ago I put the last batch (maybe 50-75 songs of my 10,000+) into the Match service and lo-and-behold, my HDD has not disconnected since.

Don't ask me why...I'm certainly not going to question it. I just wanted to let anyone who might encounter this issue in the future see what happened to me. :/

You definitely aren't the only one. My WD My Book has been getting disconnect errors as well.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
You definitely aren't the only one. My WD My Book has been getting disconnect errors as well.

Well, after Match was done this are still good...nearly a full week now and no disconnect. :D

Maybe the way WD's controller interfaces with the way iTunes Match handles the massive upload and download of library information?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Well, after Match was done this are still good...nearly a full week now and no disconnect. :D

Maybe the way WD's controller interfaces with the way iTunes Match handles the massive upload and download of library information?

That's very possible. I was thinking it was an iTunes 10.5.1 issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.