Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irkedone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I'm using bootcamp to install windows and it's asking me what size I want the partition to be. Is a 5 GB partition enough space to install Windows and Star Wars: The Old Republic?

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I'm using bootcamp to install windows and it's asking me what size I want the partition to be. Is a 5 GB partition enough space to install Windows and Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Oh dear god no, Windows needs at least 20GB, and you need around 30GB for SWTOR, I'd dedicate around 50GB to Star Wars.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You'll need an absolute minimum of 60 GB for Windows/SWTOR, 80GB gives some breathing room, 100GB more room for expansions.

You might get away with 50GB, but it's a tight squeeze for Windows. You may not like the results when it comes to maintenance functions.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

No disrespected intended but why would you even think that 5GB would be enough to install Windows and an MMO like Star Wars: The Old Republic ?

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
You'll need an absolute minimum of 60 GB for Windows/SWTOR, 80GB gives some breathing room, 100GB more room for expansions.

You might get away with 50GB, but it's a tight squeeze for Windows. You may not like the results when it comes to maintenance functions.

I meant 50GB just for SWTOR, :)

PoseidonMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Not sure if this matters but you seem like the people who might know this. So I have a 75GB partition with Win 7 and plan to put SWTOR on when I get it. I have Skyrim installed, not sure how much HD space I will have left over but is there any reason to make sure I have X HD space left over... should I leave any particular amount of space free on my partition?

Also, is there any chance SWTOR will someday be released natively on the mac?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
You just want to leave extra HD space mainly for the fact that it's not convenient to re-size the partition. There are options out there like Winclone, but at first you had to totally wipe the partition and re-install Windows.

PoseidonMac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Have you found a good replacement for Winclone? Cause it is not supported in Lion. But I do really like that program, wish there was something free and easy that works on Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.