Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwburnell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if iTunes match has an option to replace the file data of a song with the data from the iTunes store? I know some people custom edit their file names and don't want it changed but I would assume that if the service can match and song and download the better version from the store that there is an option to change the file names, artist, album, etc. Maybe I'm just missing it!

Thanks

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if iTunes match has an option to replace the file data of a song with the data from the iTunes store? I know some people custom edit their file names and don't want it changed but I would assume that if the service can match and song and download the better version from the store that there is an option to change the file names, artist, album, etc. Maybe I'm just missing it!

Thanks

iTunes keeps your tags as you have them set. Only the underlying audio changes to watch iTunes has.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
iTunes keeps your tags as you have them set. Only the underlying audio changes to watch iTunes has.

I have two following questions. Does it also change the Album Art to the one on iTunes if I already have one and will it put its own album art if a certain file doesn't have it?

And if a particular track on my list is 320kbps will iTunes downgrade it to its 256kbps?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have two following questions. Does it also change the Album Art to the one on iTunes if I already have one and will it put its own album art if a certain file doesn't have it?

And if a particular track on my list is 320kbps will iTunes downgrade it to its 256kbps?

It will use your album art if you have it. If you don't, you can pull it down from the Apple iTunes Store by "Get Artwork" via right clicking on the selected songs. Or artwork stays the same, unless you tell iTunes to change it.

If you have 320kbps file, you can keep it as is. iTunes will not download the 256k track unless you ask iTunes to download it (the only way you can download it is to delete file from your hard drive and pressing the download icon.) So if you have the 320kbps on your desktop, that's fine. But if you use iTunes Match on your Macbook, iPad or iPhone, you're getting the 256k files.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
It will use your album art if you have it. If you don't, you can pull it down from the Apple iTunes Store by "Get Artwork" via right clicking on the selected songs. Or artwork stays the same, unless you tell iTunes to change it.

If you have 320kbps file, you can keep it as is. iTunes will not download the 256k track unless you ask iTunes to download it (the only way you can download it is to delete file from your hard drive and pressing the download icon.) So if you have the 320kbps on your desktop, that's fine. But if you use iTunes Match on your Macbook, iPad or iPhone, you're getting the 256k files.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.