PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 and noise during burning

rainman::|:|
May 20, 2005, 03:32 PM
Hi all... Listen, I know the noise issue for Rev A iMac G5's is discussed a lot, but here's the thing. I don't really have unacceptable levels of noise normally... But when I'm burning, the CD makes loud vibrating noises when it spins up all the way... And halfway through burning a disk, it gets very loud again, and if it gets REALLY loud on a burn, I know the CD will probably not work (it appears to skip whole sectors at a time). Usually when a CD doesn't work, I blame the media, but these are good Sony CD-Rs, and they fail all the time. So, should I take the time to drag my iMac in to an Apple store, or will they just tell me it's "normal"? Do other users experience this noise? I've never had an Apple-supplied slot-loading burner, maybe it really is normal?

Jigglelicious
May 21, 2005, 10:57 AM
The noise might be considered normal (especially when trying to read a disc that is not 100% the same thickness all around, or has thick labels), but constantly failing burns are NOT normal, and you should call Apple to see if they can get the drive replaced.