PDA

View Full Version : HELP! MBA 2011 startup disk full... not even doing anything on it

PhazonUK
Nov 18, 2011, 06:05 PM
I've been sat here on my MBA 2011 and earlier today I had 2.5GB free. A few minutes ago I had a message pop up telling me I was running out of space on my startup disk. Now it's telling me it's completely full!

I just closed all of my apps and now I have somehow freed up 900MB. I have no idea where the other 1.5GB has gone.

Also, I used to have around 15GB free a few weeks ago and I have no idea where all of that went.

Is it possible I have some kind of runaway log file or something similar?

My biggest folders are Applications (38GB) and Music (18GB) so I have no idea where the rest of my storage has disappeared to.

EDIT: So, now now Spotlight is indexing my Mac and I suddenly have almost 4GB free now =/

Eidorian
Nov 18, 2011, 06:06 PM
It might be a runaway log.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=641936

johnhurley
Nov 18, 2011, 07:30 PM
I've been sat here on my MBA 2011 and earlier today I had 2.5GB free. A few minutes ago I had a message pop up telling me I was running out of space on my startup disk. Now it's telling me it's completely full!

I just closed all of my apps and now I have somehow freed up 900MB. I have no idea where the other 1.5GB has gone.

Also, I used to have around 15GB free a few weeks ago and I have no idea where all of that went.

Is it possible I have some kind of runaway log file or something similar?

My biggest folders are Applications (38GB) and Music (18GB) so I have no idea where the rest of my storage has disappeared to.

EDIT: So, now now Spotlight is indexing my Mac and I suddenly have almost 4GB free now =/

Are you chewing up space from time machine local backups?

On your machine with 128 gb ssd I would seriously recommend making sure that you keep like 20 gb free.

If you go to Apple Icon ==> About this Mac*==> More Info and then click on storage tab what do you see reported in the various categories? Got any space showing up in Backups?