PDA

View Full Version : Kingston RAM + NewEgg @ $39 vs. Crucial @ $56

SteveC
May 20, 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I've had my new iMac G5 for a little over 24 hours and I'm loving it. :D I'm looking for some input on a RAM decision. I want to upgrade my RAM from 512MB to 1GB; it requires PC3200.

I can buy 512MB for $56.41 (including tax and shipping) from Crucial. I also found a deal on newegg.com for 512MB of Kingston RAM for $54.32 (including tax and shipping) with a $15 rebate bringing it down to $39.32.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141436

Here's my question:

Is Kingston RAM a good quality RAM? What would I get from Crucial? And is newegg.com a reliable place to buy RAM?

I'm usually here trying to help other people, but this time I need some help myself. ;)

I'm a long-time Macintosh user, but I'm no "RAM Pro." I haven't read a lot about Kingston RAM, nor do I know which company to choose.

Thanks for the help in advance. :)

P.S. Saving the $17 isn't important to me. I want the best RAM.

calyxman
May 20, 2005, 07:10 PM
Kingston is good, I've used their modules and have not had a single problem with them. Me thinks crucial is owned by Micron Technologies, if that says anything.

Newegg.com is the bomb.

PlaceofDis
May 20, 2005, 07:12 PM
does kingston has a lifetime warranty on their ram? any company that does i would say go for their stuff, thats the key ingrediant in my opinion

SteveC
May 20, 2005, 07:24 PM
does kingston has a lifetime warranty on their ram? any company that does i would say go for their stuff, thats the key ingrediant in my opinion
Newegg would be the place that would need to have the warranty. Anyone know if they have one, or what their policy is?

Edit: Looks like lifetime.

Lifetime Warranty
Newegg.com offers a lifetime warranty on certain memory types we carry. Lifetime warranty coverage is offered solely to the initial end-user who purchased the qualified memory product from Newegg.com.

Now I just need to know: are they legit? Who else here has bought from them?

PlaceofDis
May 20, 2005, 07:29 PM
Newegg would be the place that would need to have the warranty. Anyone know if they have one, or what their policy is?

about to say, yeah Kingston should offer lifetime manufactuer warranty on their stuff. Kingston is a good brand and newegg is a realiable good site to order from. it gets a lot of good word around here and i have never had a problem with any or my orders from there

CanadaRAM
May 20, 2005, 07:49 PM
Here we go again. Nothing personal, SteveC, just this has been covered maybe 25 times already.

The Kingston RAM at NewEgg is NOT Kingston's Mac-compatible RAM, it is their ValueRAM PC Generic (KVR-) series that is not guaranteed for Macintosh. NewEgg doesn't make a claim of Mac compatibility.

Kingston Apple RAM (the KTA- series) is good RAM; but the KVR- series is a risk as to whether it will work or not, and your iMac G5 is about the fussiest Mac when it comes to compatibility.

If you are buying RAM online, especially if you are a new Mac user, my advice is to choose a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, hise a lifetime warranty and offers a no-cost return for refund if it doesn't work. This would not include NewEgg, Fry's/Outpost or most PC discounters, who don't offer a Mac compatibility guarantee.

Some MR readers like Crucial despite their pricing, some like RAMJet. If you are in the USA I recommend Data Memory Systems at $49 http://www.datamem.com/parts_that_fit_list.asp_Q_M_E_iMac+G5+1%2E8GHz+20%22+%28M9250LL%2FA%29_A_MF_E_Apple_A_C_E_ who are a real Mac company.

If you are a Mac expert and want to take the risk of using PC Generic RAM in hopes of saving a few bucks (versus perhaps wasting money and time on shipping it back), that's up to you.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

skubish
May 20, 2005, 08:05 PM
Newegg.com is the best. Very good company. I have bought many computer products from them with no problems. One time I ordered 2 sticks of RAM but only 1 stick arrived in the box. Newegg sent out another stick by FedEx no questions asked.

I also bought both of my LCD displays from them.

noel4r
May 20, 2005, 08:48 PM
How can you tell if it's a good quality RAM? Is there a test you can perform? I just bought some RAM from Fry's Electronics today and I wanna make sure it's of good quality.

akelley
May 20, 2005, 09:16 PM
Is "Good RAM" simply RAM that works, or is there a noticeable performance improvement for the average user?

I've bought numerous RAM sticks from Newegg, and not even the "name" brands like Kingston, and have had no problems. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

I'm currently running a 1GB stick of WINTEC AMPO 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ($83.25) in my brand new iMac G5 and haven't had a single problem.

Of course, I'm not making any guarantees that it will work in your particular system, but just wanted to let you know of a specific brand that works in my iMac.

Brigrat
May 20, 2005, 09:44 PM
Kingston sells valueram on new egg, as well as other types of ram. YOu can find what you are looking for on new egg, for a great price. I just ordered a 1Gb stick for my poowerbook a few weeks ago, and it worked great!

CanadaRAM
May 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
Is "Good RAM" simply RAM that works, or is there a noticeable performance improvement for the average user?

Besides the "PC3200 2.5V JEDEC standard non-ECC DDR DIMM" specification, there are also issues of compatibility with the organization of the rows and columns in the chips, and of the SPD settings on the module. These affect Mac compatibility, and there's no way for you to tell by looking at the module or the typical specs.

The Mac doesn't do a thorough RAM test at startup, so the presence of the correct numbers in System Profiler doesn't mean you are free and clear. If you are trying generic RAM, boot from and run the Apple Hardware Test on the CD that came with your machine. Do this test repeatedly. If you have TechTool Pro, run the RAM tests in that program as well. There is a freeware program "Rember" which is a Mac GUI version of Memtest, however it doesn't seem as though it is completely thorough -- it passed some known bad RAM that Apple Hardware Test caught.

(our Mac memory supplier tests every single module, and randomly tests 10% a second time. This is many thousands of modules a week... many suppliers don't put in this kind of effort)

Why go to the trouble to test? Because defective or improperly configured RAM can "work" seemingly OK until it is stressed by programs that use all of its capacity. FinalCut Pro is famous for showing up substandard RAM. Think of a gallon bucket that has a hole in it 3/4 of the way up -- it works fine until you put more than 3/4 of a gallon of water into it.

So your generic RAM may work fine - and you're in luck.
If the machine fails to boot, doesn't recognize the RAM or registers only 1/2 the expected RAM you know the module is of the wrong configuration - send it back.
The worst-case scenario is RAM that appears to work fine but introduces random errors. This can look a lot like hard drive failure, and you could lose a lot af data (and even replace hard drives) before the error is caught. Moral here: if you have flakey behavior, remove the additional RAM and test again, before concluding that another component is to blame.

As for the other question, is all RAM that is compatible equal, or is there a difference? Your Mac will run all RAM at the same speed, so there is no performance difference between RAM brands, and no rationale for buying "faster" RAM. The differences come down then to the stability of the company and the warranty.

There is one area of difference, and that is when the technology of the RAM changes. Powerbook SODIMMs can be built using old style TSOP (rectangular) chips, or the newer MBGA (square) chips. The newer chips are smaller, thinner and more efficient, so they create less heat and draw less power. In this case, modules built with MBGA technology are superior, and you'll see the lowest prices on the old line chips.

Bottom line: if it doesn't say Mac compatible in writing, you are taking a risk.

solvs
May 21, 2005, 01:08 AM
Newegg is great, I order from them all the time. Just read the reviews. If someone else is using it successfully in an iMac, you will probably have no trouble. If you do have any issues, you can send it back for a replacement or refund.

~Shard~
May 21, 2005, 01:18 AM
Although it's probably not an option for the poster (I'm now sure on your location!) I gotta put a plug in for CanadaRAM since our good friend here is awfully modest! ;) :) When I need RAM in the future, you'll have my business. :cool:

And yes, to summarize, make sure the RAM comes with lifetime warranty, and make sure it's specifically identified as being for Mac - those are the two most important factors to consider.

jiggie2g
May 21, 2005, 02:03 AM

LOL ...Newegg Legit..LMAO. NewEgg is like only the most Popular hardware retailer in the market, amoung builders , modders, geeks , just about every hardware review site i can think of post thier banners and shop from them.

as far as ram , Corsair is better then both Crucial and Kingston. Corsair valure Select is very good ram for the G5.

512MB DDR3200 2.5 Cas Latency $41.50

1GB (512MBx2) $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

CanadaRAM
May 21, 2005, 11:42 AM
Newegg is great, I order from them all the time. Just read the reviews. If someone else is using it successfully in an iMac, you will probably have no trouble. If you do have any issues, you can send it back for a replacement or refund.

PC Generic RAM builders (and even the name brand builders) change their configurations and chip vendors all the time. There is no assurance that the Brand A Model 123 RAM that you buy this week is the same configuration as the same Brand A Model 123 that the reviewer bought last week.

Also: a product is not defective if it is incompatible. If the seller has not stated compatibility, and the product is otherwise working, then it would be considered a non-defective return. Shipping costs are also generally non-refundable.

NewEgg's Policy: http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/FAQDetail.asp?Module=5

"We do not offer any technical assistance. We also do not offer advice on compatibility of items."
" A 15% restocking fee will apply for all refunds of non-defective products. Additional deductions will be made for CPU or Memory products, depending on current market value."

>Corsair valure Select is very good ram for the G5.

Except that Corsair do not guarantee their CMS, TwinX and Value Select RAM for use in Macs. They only guarantee their System Select RAM for Macs.

machiker
May 21, 2005, 05:01 PM
Has anyone used Omni Technologies RAM? They have a lifetime warrenty, and say it is specificlly for Apple Powerbooks.

solvs
May 22, 2005, 10:30 PM
Also: a product is not defective if it is incompatible. If the seller has not stated compatibility, and the product is otherwise working, then it would be considered a non-defective return. Shipping costs are also generally non-refundable.
You're right, shipping either way is not refundable. But I've never had a problem with them otherwise. When I had to return something for an exchange, I was out ~$7, but it was still cheaper than buying anywhere else. They will replace the RAM if it doesn't work or refund your money, whatever the reason.

SteveC
May 28, 2005, 04:38 PM
CanadaRAM,

What are your feelings about Omni or 1-800-4-Memory?

Same deal? Risky?

CanadaRAM
May 28, 2005, 04:49 PM
CanadaRAM,
What are your feelings about Omni or 1-800-4-Memory?
Same deal? Risky?

I don't have any direct experience with either company.

In general, I would be hesitant to deal with a company that sells only on eBay, goes to lengths to hide their real (brick and mortar) address, and makes absurd and unprovable claims like "Exceeds factory specifications by 200%!" or "Real Apple Factory Approved Memory!"

Coast to Coast (18004memory) have been around for a while, and seem to have a good reputation and offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Can't find their physical address on their website easily though.

Still for my money, Data Memory Systems is the best Mac memory dealer in the USA www.datamem.com

SteveC
May 28, 2005, 05:59 PM
I appreciate your response. Thanks for the reply. :)