PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp, Mac partition dead, how to recover?

alagares
Nov 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello guys I'm looking for some serious help. A friend of mine has a 1rst generation MBA and apparently the Mac OS partition died while the windows partition is working. She took the MBA to an apple repair shop and they said they couldn't do anything to recover the data. But here is the thing her father just died and all the photos and memories she has where on that computer. I'm lookin for software ideas to see if I can recover that data. I know there are a bunch I windows software to recover data in a "dead" hard disk but I have no idea what my options are for a Mac. I have a 2nd generation MBA and windows laptops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for English!

KPOM
Nov 19, 2011, 08:57 AM
I would think you can find a professional data recovery service to be able to try accessing the data. The Windows partition is formatted as NTFS just like any other. The most difficult part is that the first generation MacBook Airs used a unique connector (ZIF PATA) that may be difficult for ordinary data recovery services to use, so you may need to look around a bit.

It's possible an adapter like this one could allow a recovery service to access the drive.

http://store.era-ele.com/toshiba-ipod-ziflif-18-hdd-to-usb-20-adapter-p-277.html

Unfortunately, it's times like these that emphasize the importance of backing up data.

----------

[SIZE=1]

Hello guys I'm looking for some serious help. A friend of mine has a 1rst generation MBA and apparently the Mac OS partition died while the windows partition is working.

To clarify, is she able to boot into the Windows partition? If so, then my advice is to install Macdrive on the Windows partition and see if it can access the Mac partition.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/

There is a free trial available.

If it works, then she should save as much data as possible onto an external hard drive, back up the Windows partition, and then replace the HD in that Rev A (or buy a new one). I have seen 128GB SSDs available for the original MacBook Air for about $280 from places like Amazon.

alagares
Nov 19, 2011, 10:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks a lot for that valuable information! I will try all the suggestions. I will let you know if I have success :)

johnhurley
Nov 19, 2011, 10:17 AM

Hello guys I'm looking for some serious help. A friend of mine has a 1rst generation MBA and apparently the Mac OS partition died while the windows partition is working. She took the MBA to an apple repair shop and they said they couldn't do anything to recover the data. But here is the thing her father just died and all the photos and memories she has where on that computer. I'm lookin for software ideas to see if I can recover that data. I know there are a bunch I windows software to recover data in a "dead" hard disk but I have no idea what my options are for a Mac. I have a 2nd generation MBA and windows laptops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for English!

Can you still boot into windows and is the data you are talking about on the windows partition or the mac os x partition.

If it is on the windows side and still bootable I would get a backup immediately onto an external drive of the windows system.

Things like Norton Ghost or ( if win 7 on that system ) windows backup and a windows system image come to mind immediately.

alagares
Nov 19, 2011, 03:23 PM

Can you still boot into windows and is the data you are talking about on the windows partition or the mac os x partition.

If it is on the windows side and still bootable I would get a backup immediately onto an external drive of the windows system.

Things like Norton Ghost or ( if win 7 on that system ) windows backup and a windows system image come to mind immediately.

I can boot into windows but the data is on the Mac partition. I don't have the computer with me right now. As soon as I get it I will try everything!