PDA

View Full Version : Issue connecting USB HDD with new PowerBook G4

bammac
May 20, 2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I have just made the switch and I am finding my way around this new machine. I am hoping someone may be able to help me with an issue I am having connecting my USB 2.5 HDD enclosure to my PowerBook. The drive works fine and is formated in FAT32 so both my old Windows machine and new Apple can both use it. The drive has previosly worked when I connected it to a friends iBook G4 (detected automatically), so I know it works on both XP & OS X systems.

The enclosure is made by Blue Angel and is USB 2.0, the enclosure is powered by the USB cable alone. When I plug the drive into the PowerBook, the LED lights up to indicate that power is going through however the HD does not wind up. When I plug it into the iBook G4 or my Compaq Evo n800, the drive lights up and starts to wind up then OS X and Windows XP start connecting to the drive.

My 60GB iPod Photo is not always being detected when I connect it to either of the USB ports on the PowerBook as well. Could it be an issue with the USB ports?

My PowerBook & iPod only arrived yesterday, so my apoligies if this is a basic newbie issue.

PB G4 15" 1.67GHz | 2GB Ram | 100GB HD | ATI Radeon 9700 128MB
iPod PHOTO 60GB

LimeiBook86
May 21, 2005, 02:18 AM
Hi Guys,

I have just made the switch and I am finding my way around this new machine. I am hoping someone may be able to help me with an issue I am having connecting my USB 2.5 HDD enclosure to my PowerBook. The drive works fine and is formated in FAT32 so both my old Windows machine and new Apple can both use it. The drive has previosly worked when I connected it to a friends iBook G4 (detected automatically), so I know it works on both XP & OS X systems.

The enclosure is made by Blue Angel and is USB 2.0, the enclosure is powered by the USB cable alone. When I plug the drive into the PowerBook, the LED lights up to indicate that power is going through however the HD does not wind up. When I plug it into the iBook G4 or my Compaq Evo n800, the drive lights up and starts to wind up then OS X and Windows XP start connecting to the drive.

My 60GB iPod Photo is not always being detected when I connect it to either of the USB ports on the PowerBook as well. Could it be an issue with the USB ports?

My PowerBook & iPod only arrived yesterday, so my apoligies if this is a basic newbie issue.

PB G4 15" 1.67GHz | 2GB Ram | 100GB HD | ATI Radeon 9700 128MB
iPod PHOTO 60GB

Try plugging the Hard Drive into another USB port, this happens to me with a USB Laptop Hard Drive enclosure of mine. Seems the only port that the Hard Dirve works on is my second USB power (second down from he power cord) on my 12 inch PowerBook.

Maybe the device isn't getting enough power, try and plug the AC cord into your mac and try all built-in USB ports, not ones connected to a keyboard or what not. Also you should consider maybe borrowing a USB hub or see if there is an AC adapter for your Hard Drive case. Also I'm guessing the hard drive is USB 2.0, and I think your model is 2.0 also so there shouldn't be too much trouble getting it to work.

Try opening Disk Utility and see if it finds the drive there if the device spins up that is.
Also check 'Apple' System profiler to see if it detects anything on the ports.

bammac
May 21, 2005, 03:38 AM
UPDATE:
I have just come back from the Apple Centre on Flinders St in Melbourne, turns out the PowerBook is defective. Not only is power not going through the USB Ports but there is an issue with the SuperDrive not reading correctly as well.

So unfortunatly I am back on my old Compaq Evo n800 in order to update this thread!

Will return the machine as a DOA on Monday. Hopefully I should not have any issues 2nd time round in 10-15 days time!!!

LimeiBook86
May 21, 2005, 10:05 AM
UPDATE:
I have just come back from the Apple Centre on Flinders St in Melbourne, turns out the PowerBook is defective. Not only is power not going through the USB Ports but there is an issue with the SuperDrive not reading correctly as well.

So unfortunatly I am back on my old Compaq Evo n800 in order to update this thread!

Will return the machine as a DOA on Monday. Hopefully I should not have any issues 2nd time round in 10-15 days time!!!

Good luck! :D