Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I ripped (or used a friends PC to rip) The Usual Suspects. I compressed it down to 10gigs and left the audio as DTS (pass thru) in the .Mkv I used. Well I'm not sure if all my devices will support DTS...?..I mean my surround sound down mixes Dolby 5.1 to Pro Logic and if the bit rate is too high it will have trouble playing back. Since the DTS in this is lossless its like 1500~kbps..I extracted the audio part of the movie (it has .mka extension) using mkvtoolnix but how do I convert it 2 Pro Logic without reencoding an already lossy video file and wasting like 4 hours in handbrake?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I extracted the audio part of the movie (it has .mka extension) using mkvtoolnix but how do I convert it 2 Pro Logic without reencoding an already lossy video file and wasting like 4 hours in handbrake?
Eac3to has support for 5.1 to Stereo Pro Logic II.

If you want to stay on OS X you can load the file in handbrake, set the audio is AAC Pro Logic II and the video as; H263 (FFMPEG), lowest bitrate it will go, 1 pass and lowest resolution it will go, no cropping etc. When that's done, demux the audio with MP4Box and mix back in to mkv.

Just a thought, 1080p might be better for the resolution as no scaling is involved, but rendering a larger frame might reduce FPS - I have no clue which will yield a higher FPS.

Also, if you're anal, you might want to convert the DTS-HD track (if you have it) to LPCM rather than using the lossy DTS-Core (so you're going lossless>lossy rather than lossless>lossy>lossy).

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Eac3to has support for 5.1 to Stereo Pro Logic II.

If you want to stay on OS X you can load the file in handbrake, set the audio is AAC Pro Logic II and the video as; H263 (FFMPEG), lowest bitrate it will go, 1 pass and lowest resolution it will go, no cropping etc. When that's done, demux the audio with MP4Box and mix back in to mkv.

Just a thought, 1080p might be better for the resolution as no scaling is involved, but rendering a larger frame might reduce FPS - I have no clue which will yield a higher FPS.

Also, if you're anal, you might want to convert the DTS-HD track (if you have it) to LPCM rather than using the lossy DTS-Core (so you're going lossless>lossy rather than lossless>lossy>lossy).
Wow never thought of the low bit rate re encode for speed. Does Handbrake encode Linear-PCM or do I have to do that with another program and then re-mux?

EDIT: Also, is there a way to turn an H264 video in an Mkv container to mp4 without a complete reencode? I just booted up the old Xbox and its picky about formats.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.