Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have a PowerBook G4 12-inch 867mhz Rev A model. Unfortunately my PowerBook has been through some hard times. My brother has sat on the machine twice and it has fallen once while in the open position a few feet to the ground which made it close. There is no damage to the screen. The only damage is a bit of the metal is not really bent but 'warped' I guess you can say. The laptop closes and everything but some parts of the machine are a little out of wack.

Now everything is fine the only thing that concerns me is there is a screw on the left side of my machine, now it's not loose...or tight. The screw is handing out and it won't go in. I've tried to put the screw in but maybe it stripped it's socket or something. I believe the screw is for the Hard Drive and it probably is important that I keep it in there, thus why I didn't attempt to take out the screw completely. I'm not too worried about this but it's a bit annoying when a pillow or blanket get's snagged on the screw. It's not hanging out more than a millimeter or two but you can notice it.

Here are some very blurry pictures off it, maybe I'll get my dad's 6mp camera later but here's what I have for now.

Any advice on this? I mean I tried to screw it in but, maybe I need I smaller screw driver. Should I take this machine apart just to fix that or is this just a little out of place because of the machines unfortunate 'abuse'?

Thanks in advance ;)

Attachments

• powerbook-screw.jpg
    powerbook-screw.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 70

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
the screw has nothing to do with the hard drive. the screw is sole purpose to the secure the case together. if the threads of the screw hole are stripped just leave it out. it isn't a big a deal if that is the only screw that is missing.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
LimeiBook86 said:
I have a PowerBook G4 12-inch 867mhz Rev A model. Unfortunately my PowerBook has been through some hard times. My brother has sat on the machine twice and it has fallen once while in the open position a few feet to the ground which made it close. There is no damage to the screen. The only damage is a bit of the metal is not really bent but 'warped' I guess you can say. The laptop closes and everything but some parts of the machine are a little out of wack.

Now everything is fine the only thing that concerns me is there is a screw on the left side of my machine, now it's not loose...or tight. The screw is handing out and it won't go in. I've tried to put the screw in but maybe it stripped it's socket or something. I believe the screw is for the Hard Drive and it probably is important that I keep it in there, thus why I didn't attempt to take out the screw completely. I'm not too worried about this but it's a bit annoying when a pillow or blanket get's snagged on the screw. It's not hanging out more than a millimeter or two but you can notice it.

Here are some very blurry pictures off it, maybe I'll get my dad's 6mp camera later but here's what I have for now.

Any advice on this? I mean I tried to screw it in but, maybe I need I smaller screw driver. Should I take this machine apart just to fix that or is this just a little out of place because of the machines unfortunate 'abuse'?

Thanks in advance ;)

LimeiBook! i had not seen you here for ages...

I had the same PB, and now own the Rev D. I think it holds the case together. I would suggest an artistic tape job: yup, that's right. The cases on the Aliminum PB's are soft but sturdy. The innards of your PB are going to be fine.

This is a case of "out of sight out of mind."

At least I hope!

Take care man!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Balin64 said:
LimeiBook! i had not seen you here for ages...

I had the same PB, and now own the Rev D. I think it holds the case together. I would suggest an artistic tape job: yup, that's right. The cases on the Aliminum PB's are soft but sturdy. The innards of your PB are going to be fine.

This is a case of "out of sight out of mind."

At least I hope!

Take care man!

Yeah I've been busy (or gone into hiding like Yoda), haha but yeah I guess this isn't a real threat. The screw is just annoying and I'll probably take it out later.

Thanks for the responses :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.