Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I've had this problem for some time, but recently it's been worse. I often listen to Pandora via Airplay from my iPad or iPhone transmitting to my AppleTV. Problem is, there are often skips or pauses - sometimes just a couple of seconds once or twice per song, sometimes so frequent that it's unplayable.

Ok, I understand this is entirely dependent on my network conditions, fine. I really don't think that's the whole story though, because I can switch to streaming to one of the many Airport Expresses I have around the house, and streaming is flawless. If anything, I'd expect the ATV to be more robust, as it's the only one connected via Ethernet. Software on the ATV is fully up to date, and in general my network is extremely reliable (I'm a part-time network engineer). Anyone else have any similar experiences or suggestions?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sounds like you have it set up properly and have it connected via Ethernet, which is what I always recommend.

Is there any other network traffic going on while streaming Pandora?

I'd also suggest checking the cable ends and test the connections with a Fluke if you have one. Or just swap the cable anyway. See what happens.

Also, check for wireless interference in the area. It could be interfering with the signal from your iPhone to the router too. Maybe change the channel on the router too.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Sure, there is other network traffic, but like I say, I can switch to an airport express and streaming works fine a moment later. The ATV is also otherwise fine - streaming video from Netflix or via Home Sharing is fine. Music played via the Music apps and AirPlay works fine. Even video over AirPlay works fine. Pandora is the only app that consistently has problems.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hmm. Investigating the network settings and it turned out that it was using the wireless connection despite having an Ethernet cable inserted. Reseated the cable and it switched interfaces. So far seems to be an improvement, (still not perfect) although it still seems strange that the airport expresses work fine with wireless...

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Make sure your Bluetooth is turned off on your iPhone. I have found that whenever BT is on I get skipping, but if BT is off it plays great with no problems or skips.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks. Bluetooth is off.

I spoke too soon in saying that things were better. It's just as bad as it was - tons of skips, etc. Yet I can stream high quality video just fine. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.