Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
Hi
I passed on my old G5 Powermac dual 1.8 (4.5gb ram) to a friend. He has a bunch of Nikon Jpgs and Nefs on his old XP PC which he transferred to an external FAT32 formatted drive. The mac recognises the drive and displays the Jpgs in finder. The nefs are greyed out. When he right clicks on either a jpg or a nef and chooses 'open with', there are no apps to select, they are all greyed out. Photoshop CS3 is installed. If he plugs a card reader into the mac and selects files direct from a card the Jpgs will open in CS3 or preview and the Nefs in CS3 only. The files on the FAT32 are no different but they have been dragged and dropped from a memory card to the PC and then to this external drive. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Phil.

Last edited:

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you drag the .nef file to the Photoshop icon does it work?

mac57

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Texas
I believe that Graphic Converter supports this format. Have you tried this? Graphic Converter was provided as part of the install package on my PowerMac G5, so your friend should have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.