PDA

View Full Version : Did the Air novelty wear off for anyone? 15" MacBook Pro is such a fine machine.

Kendo
Nov 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
The MacBook Air is my first Mac ever (2011 iMac is technically my first but I had to return it after a week). The fact that it so sleek and thin and weighs next to nothing was the main reason why I chose it.

I took a workshop at the Apple Store today and we were all given 15" MacBook Pros for use. It is such a fine machine, a great balance between size, power, and weight (not too bulky, screen is a good size, not too heavy). It just felt like such a solid piece of machinery when I was resting my hands on it and navigating OS X with it.

I often use my MacBook Air as a desktop and I kind of liked the feeling of having a solid palm rest on the MacBook Pro. It just felt so stable compared to the Air. Because I got the MacBook Air for such a huge discount (20% Kindle Special Offers discount), I'm highly considering selling it and getting a 15" Pro with high-res antiglare.

Anyone else have the novelty of the Air wear off on them and find the Pro to be a much more suitable laptop?

Yumunum
Nov 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
Not really... I just wish that I had a bigger screen. My 13" 256GB 2011 Air is my only computer. A bigger screen would be nice, but the high-res really helps. One of the reasons I got it over the 13" Pro

KPOM
Nov 20, 2011, 07:29 PM
Whatever floats your boat, but the novelty of the Air has yet to wear off on me after more than 3.5 years using one. By contrast, I couldn't see going to a 15" MacBook Pro (which my mother uses). It seems so large by comparison. Do you have the 11" or 13"? Note that the 13" has the same resolution as the 15" Pro.

mikes63737
Nov 20, 2011, 07:46 PM
Note that the 13" has the same resolution as the 15" Pro.

The 15" Pro has the option to upgrade to 1680x1050... so the OP will be getting a higher-resolution screen.

johnhurley
Nov 20, 2011, 08:01 PM
Anyone else have the novelty of the Air wear off on them and find the Pro to be a much more suitable laptop?

The biggest problem for me with the 15 inch macbook pro is that it is really too big to be useable on an airplane. Travel wise all the good things that is has can be liabilities.

Now having both a 15 inch macbook air and an 11 inch usage on a plane ... that would rock!

Think the 13 inch is the best interim combination for me along with an external monitor at home/work!

bossxii
Nov 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
If you bought the MBA as a Novelty and had no real use for an ultra portable... Then yes it will wear off as it sits on a desk all day hooked to a monitor. However if you take your laptop everywhere you go the MBA is a choice that never gets old and constantly reminds you why you bought it.

TheRealDamager
Nov 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
If your machine sits on a desk, then sure - the MBP is a great machine. If you have to carry it all over the world, and back and forth to work every day, they Air is the best by far.

Stein357
Nov 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
For what I need a computer to do, the Air is perfect. If you need more down or want a bigger display, then the Pro might be something to look at but the added heat and weight isn't worth it to me.

MacDawg
Nov 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
I'm an Air convert and I have no regrets

entatlrg
Nov 20, 2011, 08:56 PM
The MacBook Air is my first Mac ever (2011 iMac is technically my first but I had to return it after a week). The fact that it so sleek and thin and weighs next to nothing was the main reason why I chose it.

I took a workshop at the Apple Store today and we were all given 15" MacBook Pros for use. It is such a fine machine, a great balance between size, power, and weight (not too bulky, screen is a good size, not too heavy). It just felt like such a solid piece of machinery when I was resting my hands on it and navigating OS X with it.

I often use my MacBook Air as a desktop and I kind of liked the feeling of having a solid palm rest on the MacBook Pro. It just felt so stable compared to the Air. Because I got the MacBook Air for such a huge discount (20% Kindle Special Offers discount), I'm highly considering selling it and getting a 15" Pro with high-res antiglare.

Which Air do you have?

Where do you use a computer?

Even working around the house I like my Air more than my 15". However, I DO miss using a larger screen, so far the mobility of the Air has been more important for me.

chrono1081
Nov 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
For those who travel, the air is much more than a novelty, its the best laptop I've ever owned and its much more capable than people make it out to be.

convergent
Nov 20, 2011, 09:20 PM
I had (still have actually... not sold it yet) a 15" MBP and since going to the 13" MBA, have had no desire to go back. Not a novelty. And the MBP is a lot heavier, so not sure what you are talking about there.

scarred
Nov 20, 2011, 09:21 PM
The 13" macbook air is a fine and solid machine. I have no regrets at all. I've said it before, and will say it again. Best computer I've ever owned. I looked at the Pros, and they have their place, but for my needs, the Air is perfect.

Kelped
Nov 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
As a recent convert from Thinkpad X-series laptops, I would never consider a laptop weighing more than 3.4 pounds.

VMMan
Nov 20, 2011, 10:41 PM
I initially thought my MBA 11" would be used only for times where I needed a truly mobile computer, but it was so amazing that I ended up using it instead of my MBP 17" at home.

Now, however, I think I'm back to using my MBP 17" at home and relegating my MBA 11" for on-the-road type use. It's not that the novelty wore off, but that initially was too difficult to go back to my MBP with a normal HD.

Once you go SSD, it's hard to go back...

jim468
Nov 21, 2011, 12:21 AM

I feel like I am in a similar boat. I got the new MBA and it is awesome for its size and weight and what all we can do with it. But there are a couple of things which I feel now after using it for roughly 3 months.

1. Hi-res screen: It is a little stressful for my eyes. I am 26 and have a good vision but the low res display on 15" actually feels more comfortable to me. I usually use an external display (21" size with 1080p res) with my MBA and sometimes extend it such that I can use both these displays together. However, when I do this, the difference in pixel density between the MBA hi-res screen and my external display causes strain on my eyes. This happens a lot when I am reading something on my external display and then suddenly switch to the MBA display to read something else.

2. Video playback: If I am using just the MBA to watch videos (HD, Youtube 1080p, flash, etc.), they run pretty smooth. But when I connect my MBA to my external display and use both of them, I can see that the videos start to get a little jerky. I think this is due to the lack of an dedicated GPU. The Intel IGP is good when you are just using the MBA display, but not the best otherwise.

3. 4GB RAM: I use Chrome as my primary browser because it has very good extensions and add-ons. I also find it to be faster when compared to Firefox. However, the negative side of Chrome is that it uses a LOT of RAM. I also use VMs fairly often for my research and usually adding all this up together, my MBA's RAM usage is usually at its brim. I can notice performance degradation when the RAM usage is almost at full (apps respond little slow). Even though it is greatly mitigated due to the fast paging by its SSD, it is still perceivable.

MBA is one of the best machines out there for its performance, size, features, quality, high capacity SSD, and also price (I got a good best-buy deal). However, I think if you are student or a power user and you want this to be your main machine, I would recommend to think twice or at least try it out from a friend before purchasing it.

I am a student who uses his computer a lot and I wanted to make my MBA as my primary machine (by connecting it to an external display, mouse, keyboard, etc.). However now I can feel that more ram (8GB), a dedicated GPU, etc. are some of the things that I really miss. Also, the thing with dedicated GPUs is that now-a-days with abundant hardware acceleration in web browsers, video encoding/decoding, etc, these are not just helpful for people who are into games or multimedia but for anyone else as well.

I think I will wait till the new 15" models come out early next year and will then probably switch to that.

Neolithium
Nov 21, 2011, 11:34 AM
I went from a 15" MBP and a 17" Asus Gaming notebook to the 13" Air only, and don't find it to be a novelty. The 13" form factor has really grown on me lately and I just love the portability. Sure the other 2 laptops had more power and expandability but at the end of the day, the stuff I do with my laptop can easily be handled by it.

The screen itself isn't massive but the resolution for it makes it quite enjoyable even for movies when I'm stuck here in barracks polishing boots.

janstett
Nov 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
The original Air, yes. I have a 1st gen with a hard drive that I used to use for mobility (light surfing, surfing in bed, etc) but since the iPad came out it collects dust. The iPad kicks its butt for light surfing and mobility and the battery life...

I used to be quite enamored of utlra-thin laptops (like the Thinkpad X series, Fujitsu ultra book, etc) -- as I look at my computer boneyard, there's a Thinkpad X40 I used to keep in my living room for surfing, and then there's the old Air I mentioned above -- the iPad made them obsolete. Don't need 'em. Plus you have the option to go on the road with 3G and no need for phone tethering or a USB 3G card... The iPad pretty much rewrote the rules.

However, I just got an 11" i7 Macbook Air (to satisfy my 12" Powerbook obsession) and I'm loving it. Faster and more powerful than my 2008 Macbook Pro.

The pro's still good but I'm loving the new 11" Air.

Xikum
Nov 21, 2011, 12:34 PM
They are two completely different products, for two different niches.

Want a desktop replacement laptop? 15" Pro.
Want a truly portable laptop for carrying around everyday? MacBook Air.

I dont think you can compare the two. The Pro is a superior desktop replacement, while the Air is a superior portable computer.

mac jones
Nov 21, 2011, 12:57 PM
Depends on what your routine is perhaps.

I have a cheap LCD and dock mine. I don't need a big screen out and about, as 'out and about' doesn't include being somewhere where I use the machine all day; like school, or a job that doesn't supply a monitor; if there is such a thing.

It's kind of a catch 22 really :D

If your in school, you may want to have the bigger laptop cuz your away all day. Problem is, the bigger laptop is bulky.

You can't win :D

tim100
Nov 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
with out upgrades the 15 low screen res and mechanical hard drive. there are rumors of an air like 15. at this point i am not sure if i would pick 15 mbp over 13 mba.