Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelped

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
How smoothly is the current version of iOS 5 running on the iPhone 4? I'm still running iOS 4 on my iPhone, and I'm a bit out of the loop. I'm thinking of upgrading when the next update comes out. I have no interest in using iCloud.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
My sister uses it on her iPhone 4 and she hasn't had any complaints so I assume it's going fine for her.

iOS 5 is a lot more than just iCloud, by the way

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
To the OP, I have no interest in iCloud either, beyond the (formerly MobileMe) function of Find My iPhone. I have had bad battery draining issues since upgrading my iPhone 4 and 1st Gen iPad to iOS 5 and then iOS 5.0.1. I continue to hope that the next incremental update will fix the battery drain for me.

Opinion is fairly divided between those who have had battery issues and those who haven't been bothered by them. There are some who had the problem with the initial upgrade and were remedied with the second update. Some had no problem at first and then were hexed with the second update.

It seems to be a crapshoot whether there'll be problems or not. You can't know ahead of time and that makes the decision harder. :(

I hope the next update comes soon.

idkmybffjon

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
iOS 5 is like butter on my 4, iCloud works perfectly and i wouldn't go back to without for a million dollars. no battery issues either, if anything performance is better.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
iOS5 on the iPhone 4 is nothing like what iOS4 was like on the iPhone 3G. iO5 runs buttery smooth on my iPhone 4.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Butter smooth.
Battery drains faster, but not as badly as some. No consistency with battery complaints, your mileage may vary.
iCloud is slick, but needs tweaking.
Too many new and cool features to leave it sitting on the shelf.
Go get it!

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Smooth on my 3GS, so don't see why it wouldn't be on the 4.

Only time it's a bit jittery is if it's been locked for a long time, it takes less than 3 seconds to settle down though. It's also a bit laggy for 15-20 seconds after a reboot.

It can also chunk a little if I've got a heap of apps in the background and I load something like Angry Birds. If I close all the sleeping apps then it runs fine.

Pedro Julio

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Sometimes NC, Sometimes PA
Very smooth. No problems BUT:

Be sure to thoroughly go through all of your settings menus. There are a TON of new menu items in iOS5, and many of them involve functions like geolocation, data sharing, and data backups. Battery and cellular data intensive stuff. You kind of have to do a cost/benefit analysis to figure out what is worth keeping.

Personally I think iMessage, Photostream, and the camera control upgrades are the best part. So much better.

EDIT: And notifications! Oh my god...so much better.

Last edited:

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
In fact it runs smoother than IOS 4, but has some bugs. Notable in exchange calendars and in location services (at least here in Brazil).

MTracy96

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It runs very smoth on my iPhone 4, definitely upgrade. It's very nice not having use the computer for any syncing anymore. And there is no performance difference at all from ios 4.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Smooth as Silk on my iPhone 4. Battery is great too, although I have a nightly routine of charging paired with disabling/enabling features and functions as I use them. Get almost 2 full days out of it that way. Great for weekends where I'm usually not by a charger.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Absolutely smooth. And I was running it on 3GS. It had the occasional hiccups, but it's really forgivable. Also, iMessage used to freeze up my 3GS for half of a second or so.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
iOS5 runs great on iPhone 4. It actually was a pretty decent upgrade for me in terms of speed and overall usage. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.