Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Hey there,

I'm NOT a complete newbie when it comes Final Cut, I've done a couple of projects and enjoy the edit but I lose my mind trying to figure out the correct Import and Sequence settings. I feel as though I am just terrible at this and can't seem to figure out why it's just so difficult.

The situation I have right now is I shot footage with my Canon Vixia HF21. I have some footage on my external and some on my camera and some converted. From what I research I know the ideal situation is to log and capture however I have some on my camera that I am able to do so but some are on my external (.MTS files) and some converted into M4v(.264) and I'm trying to figure how to get it all into one place (Final Cut Pro 7). Subsequently I also need to figure out the right canvas settings to started editing, I've made the amateur mistake before of not presetting my canvas and I'm trying to go about the best possible ways.

Do you guys find this stuff as difficult as i do? How do you work with it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you tried the LOG & TRANSFER window yet?

Footage in FCP 7 should be using the ProRes 422 codec, as H.264 requires constant rendering.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, as this has been brought up a lot:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.