Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
We have a lot of Apple computers/devices (more than 10) in our family. My wife and I each have (iMac, MBA, iPad, iPhone) which is 8 devices... and we limited our kids to one computer and they must sync their devices to that one computer. That consumes all 10 of our devices. We each have personal Apple IDs for email, personal iCloud, etc. We share a single Apple ID for family purchases from the various stores (music, apps, books, etc).

We are not home now to test this... but I just recently learned that ATV can connect to iTunes Match. Do they count against the 10 device limit? If so, then I will not be able to turn them on, unless we disable some other device. Since we leave an iMac turned on 24/7 it would not be fatal... but it would be nice to use iTunes Match on the ATVs too.

/Jim

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
In looking through the list of associated devices on my account I don't see the Apple TV listed, so I would assume the answer to your question is no. It seems that it is only computers and other devices where content can be downloaded. Apple TV can only stream music from your iTunes Match library.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
In looking through the list of associated devices on my account I don't see the Apple TV listed, so I would assume the answer to your question is no. It seems that it is only computers and other devices where content can be downloaded. Apple TV can only stream music from your iTunes Match library.

Thanks for checking this for me. This helps my 10 device limit.

/Jim

Praksis

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
Portugal
When i did my last reset (last week) and entered all the account infos again, at the point when i had to enter my iTunes data so i can use the home sharing service, i got a message saying that my ATV2 was the 5th device active on my iTunes account... so my bet is that it does count towards the 10 device limit.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
When i did my last reset (last week) and entered all the account infos again, at the point when i had to enter my iTunes data so i can use the home sharing service, i got a message saying that my ATV2 was the 5th device active on my iTunes account... so my bet is that it does count towards the 10 device limit.

I never seen that and it simple, go look in your list on your account. It is not there and still shows how many I have available and I am streaming music form it as I type this.

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
I think ATV uses "floating" device slot

If you have 10 (max) other devices (Computers/iPhone/iPad) associated nd then try to play an iTunes Match song on your ATV2, it will complain about 10 cap. If you go into iTunes a delete a device (down to 9), ATV2 will play iTunes Match songs.

I assume, therefore, that the ATV2 temporarily uses a device slot, but only while playing iCloud content. I have multiple ATV's, but have not tried to have 9 devices plus two ATV's playing. If my logic/guess is correct, the second ATV would refuse to play.

waterskiingguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Punish loyal Apple Customers with iTunes?

The more Apple devices you buy with your loyalty to Apple, when you reach 11 Apple devices you are punished. The iTunes media that you pay good money for is limited to play on 10 devices that you register with iTunes. Apple is frank about this and strict, and points the finger at the licensing agreements with the corporations that have millions of dollars and a whole load of lawyers.

You may ask, there must be something wrong with someone who has more that 10 Apple devices, but in a family of 4 persons each with iPhones, 3 laptops, an iPod and 5 TVs. After getting my 1st Apple TV there was so many things liked about it, thoughts of getting more and found out this 10-device limit.

It is clear and under stood this is licensing. Apple recommends having another iTunes id or one for each individual; however, this does not make sense for Mom and Dad and the kids. It is bad enough having to buy Star Wars or the Wizard of OZ both in VHS, and then in DVD do I need to buy them again? Does Mom need to buy 4 copies of Snow White for any family member to watch it on any device? How can this be affordable even buying twice for any movie or music?

There are ways around this 10-device limit, but does one really need to work around this and does it really set me up as a criminal? Does taking a ‘cron’ and shell script and syncing with ftp between the odd devices make one a criminal? If one does not know cron or shell scripting, they could use an iCloud company like Sugar Sync that will automatically keep your specific files updated between specific computers?

There is hope that Apple will tell me; how a family of 4 who are fans of Apple supposed to make 3 laptops, 4 iPhones, an iPod and our home of 5 TVs all be able to share the same iTunes media pool that we already pay big money for?

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
There is hope that Apple will tell me; how a family of 4 who are fans of Apple supposed to make 3 laptops, 4 iPhones, an iPod and our home of 5 TVs all be able to share the same iTunes media pool that we already pay big money for?

As you mentioned, the issue is licensing. The studios are in large part responsible for the 10 device limit, not Apple.

However, I'm sure Apple enjoys getting the additional 30% cut from sales to additional accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.