PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you close the screen on your MBA?

saintforlife
Nov 21, 2011, 12:51 AM
I hate shutting down my MBA, so to put it to sleep when I am not working on it, I close the screen. I do this about 8-10 times in a day.

My concern is if the hinge on the MBA will hold up to this kind of heavy usage. I am not even sure if this is even considered heavy usage to be honest. Is there any chance I will start seeing the hinge become loose (or start feeling a 'give') in the future? Could the hinge start creaking? Also is there another way to put the MBA to deep sleep without closing the screen physically?

This is my first Mac, so I am not familiar with how Mac hardware holds up over time. So I apologize if my questions are stupid. TIA advance for indulging me!

vitzr
Nov 21, 2011, 01:24 AM
I hate shutting down my MBA, so to put it to sleep when I am not working on it, I close the screen. I do this about 8-10 times in a day.

My concern is if the hinge on the MBA will hold up to this kind of heavy usage. I am not even sure if this is even considered heavy usage to be honest. Is there any chance I will start seeing the hinge become loose (or start feeling a 'give') in the future? Could the hinge start creaking? Also is there another way to put the MBA to deep sleep without closing the screen physically?

This is my first Mac, so I am not familiar with how Mac hardware holds up over time. So I apologize if my questions are stupid. TIA advance for indulging me!
You have nothing to worry about.

To put it to sleep without closing it, go to the Apple menu in the upper left & choose sleep.

scarred
Nov 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
I shouldn't worry about it, but I do. It's a mechanical thing... I've had so many windows laptops from work that get these loose hinges (so the screen wiggles a lot) I'm paranoid. I'll close the lid if I'm going to leave it off for a few hours. Else, I'll just put it to sleep with the top right key.

theSeb
Nov 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
7.5 times a day

TheJing
Nov 21, 2011, 09:23 AM
7.5 times a day

Same here.

The Samurai
Nov 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
If you've got Applecare, you shouldn't worry :D

I close mines, like yourself, as its just convenient... especially when I know im going to be using it in like 1 hours time ;)

iRCL
Nov 21, 2011, 11:25 AM

Dozens... you are fine

Neolithium
Nov 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
I close mine approximately 10+ times a day. Not worried about the hinge in the least.

calvol
Nov 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
The hinge can be replaced if it gets bad, so don't worry about it, just use it.

daftpunkstu
Nov 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
It's cheaply replacable but it'll take years to do any damage, they're quite sturdy

c3m
Nov 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
many times.

computer is a tool it's meant to be used. don't worry too much about it.

thuglove
Nov 22, 2011, 12:31 AM
20+ times a day. I don't even worry about it so you should be fine.

Psilocybin
Nov 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
This is called OCD. Apple products are the main cause of it.

Shut it all you want I just open and closed mine 5 times in 10 mins

altecXP
Nov 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
I close it when I'm not using it. Probably 8 times or more a day.

jahala
Nov 22, 2011, 03:09 PM
I close the lid 3 or four times a day. I don't really like having to open it again, so I set up a hot corner in the lower left. When I put my mouse cursor in the lower left corner of the screen, the computer goes to sleep.

When I want to use it again, I just press the shift key (it does not matter which key is pressed) and the computer wakes up. Putting it to sleep is easy and so is waking it up.

summitRun
Nov 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
A couple squirts of WD-40 every two weeks and you're good to go...:D

Troneas
Nov 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
i close it and open it as many times as i friggin want/need during the day thats why i bought the damn thing and its meant to be used that way.

if it breaks well you take it to an apple store and they will fix it for you.

unless you are living in the Sahara desert or in Antartica seriously people enjoy using the machine you'll want to replace it anyway after 3 or 4 years tops no point in putting all those protection cases which are ugly as hell and concern yourself with how many times you open the damn thing or how many times you've used the friggin battery. if you do you'll end up in 3 years time with a brand new macbook air which you will throw away anyway in favor of a new one and which you've never really enjoyed.

tanhm
Nov 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
8 times a day :cool: