Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I hate shutting down my MBA, so to put it to sleep when I am not working on it, I close the screen. I do this about 8-10 times in a day.

My concern is if the hinge on the MBA will hold up to this kind of heavy usage. I am not even sure if this is even considered heavy usage to be honest. Is there any chance I will start seeing the hinge become loose (or start feeling a 'give') in the future? Could the hinge start creaking? Also is there another way to put the MBA to deep sleep without closing the screen physically?

This is my first Mac, so I am not familiar with how Mac hardware holds up over time. So I apologize if my questions are stupid. TIA advance for indulging me!

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I hate shutting down my MBA, so to put it to sleep when I am not working on it, I close the screen. I do this about 8-10 times in a day.

My concern is if the hinge on the MBA will hold up to this kind of heavy usage. I am not even sure if this is even considered heavy usage to be honest. Is there any chance I will start seeing the hinge become loose (or start feeling a 'give') in the future? Could the hinge start creaking? Also is there another way to put the MBA to deep sleep without closing the screen physically?

This is my first Mac, so I am not familiar with how Mac hardware holds up over time. So I apologize if my questions are stupid. TIA advance for indulging me!
You have nothing to worry about.

To put it to sleep without closing it, go to the Apple menu in the upper left & choose sleep.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I shouldn't worry about it, but I do. It's a mechanical thing... I've had so many windows laptops from work that get these loose hinges (so the screen wiggles a lot) I'm paranoid. I'll close the lid if I'm going to leave it off for a few hours. Else, I'll just put it to sleep with the top right key.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
If you've got Applecare, you shouldn't worry :D

I close mines, like yourself, as its just convenient... especially when I know im going to be using it in like 1 hours time ;)

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011

Dozens... you are fine

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
The hinge can be replaced if it gets bad, so don't worry about it, just use it.

c3m

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
many times.

computer is a tool it's meant to be used. don't worry too much about it.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I close the lid 3 or four times a day. I don't really like having to open it again, so I set up a hot corner in the lower left. When I put my mouse cursor in the lower left corner of the screen, the computer goes to sleep.

When I want to use it again, I just press the shift key (it does not matter which key is pressed) and the computer wakes up. Putting it to sleep is easy and so is waking it up.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i close it and open it as many times as i friggin want/need during the day thats why i bought the damn thing and its meant to be used that way.

if it breaks well you take it to an apple store and they will fix it for you.

unless you are living in the Sahara desert or in Antartica seriously people enjoy using the machine you'll want to replace it anyway after 3 or 4 years tops no point in putting all those protection cases which are ugly as hell and concern yourself with how many times you open the damn thing or how many times you've used the friggin battery. if you do you'll end up in 3 years time with a brand new macbook air which you will throw away anyway in favor of a new one and which you've never really enjoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.