Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
About as think on the ground as rocking horse ---- at the moment. I see a Belkin Dock (which would actually be useful for me; now) but no evidence of any evidence of availability. Likewise, I can do a Google on Thunderbolt storage, which recommends a Lacie page with no trace of any Thunderbolt storage whatsoever.

Since the latest MBAs have been out for a while, I'm a little surprised.....

Oh, and there is of course the Apple Thunderbolt display but Apple displays have never impressed me. Ok, perhaps that's a bit strong (they are nice, as is everything by Apple) but I've never been able to justify the cost, bearing in mind you can get a great monitor without spending too much these days.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
About as think on the ground as rocking horse ---- at the moment. I see a Belkin Dock (which would actually be useful for me; now) but no evidence of any evidence of availability. Likewise, I can do a Google on Thunderbolt storage, which recommends a Lacie page with no trace of any Thunderbolt storage whatsoever.

Since the latest MBAs have been out for a while, I'm a little surprised.....

Oh, and there is of course the Apple Thunderbolt display but Apple displays have never impressed me. Ok, perhaps that's a bit strong (they are nice, as is everything by Apple) but I've never been able to justify the cost, bearing in mind you can get a great monitor without spending too much these days.

LaCie has one little big disk but pretty expensive, starts at $450 for 1 TB. There is one server option From another company (can be found via google) that is even more expensive. And the Belkin dock as far as I know. Not quite a broad spectrum of offers at the moment.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Apple is on the bleeding edge with this technology, so you probably won't start seeing more selection of TB accessories until first or second quarter next year. Intel hasn't produced the chipset for TB to be added to non-Mac PCs yet. Once they do that... assuming that PC makers add the port... you'll start to see many more accessories. The only risk is that the PC makers get lazy and decide to just support USB 3.0 and not TB... then it could be a problem for us. In the mean time, there are a number of TB storage devices you can see on the Apple website, and the display. I have the TBD and have been quite happy with it. I wish it wasn't glossy, but other than that it does the job for me and has greatly reduced the cable clutter on my desk.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Intel is going to make Thunderbolt part of the Ultrabook spec and plans to add it to the mobile chipsets for the Ivy Bridge processors coming out next year. At that point, we should start seeing Windows PCs with the port, and with it, more peripherals. The Belkin dock is slated for availability in the 2nd quarter of 2012. Sonnet Tech is releasing a Thunderbolt Expresscard slot for a fairly steep $149 that is supposed to ship 12/14/11, but they have delayed that a few times (once for a redesign).

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
It is very frustrating to me for sure when I had a $500 Dell that I added a USB3 and eSATA card to and now I have a $2700 iMac with firewire 800 as the fastest connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.