Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

grand_central_terminal_store_rendering.jpg
Rendering of Apple's Grand Central Terminal retail store
9to5Mac reports that Apple is set to announce tomorrow its plans for opening the company's new retail store in the historic Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. Apple had been said to be trying to get the store open by mid-November for the holiday shopping season, but it still appears to be unclear whether it will have the store open in time for Black Friday later this week.
From what we have now heard, Apple will be filling the store with stock and applying the finishing touches this week putting the the actual opening of the store on Black Friday or shortly thereafter. The goal all along has been to get the store open for the holiday shopping and to make a big splash with Apple's new crown jewel of retail.
The store's 300 staff members have been in training for some time now, and are currently dispersed to other New York City stores for final training ahead of the store opening.

grand_central_terminal_store_barrier.jpg
Photo from techfootnote
techfootnote grabbed some photos of the black screening surrounding the under-construction store, which reveal some large panels on the front of the barrier that are said to potentially be hiding large video display boards to highlight the store's opening.

Article Link: Apple's Grand Central Terminal Retail Store to Open as Soon as Black Friday?

awatiker

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
I was at Grand Central last night and they were removing some of the black panels. I asked someone working there and they said they thought it would be next month.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
the brickwork with glass is a good look. they should make more like this and the covent garden store

Here's an idea. When the US finally reawakens to rails in full earnest Apple could work with municipalities building new Train Central Depots and build around them while helping design them.

That would definitely work for me.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
That store is going be crazy busy with folks just killing time on the internet waiting for the train. Seems like it is going to closer to one big advertisement than an actual store. On the other hand, I could see a lot of folks just grabbing an Air on the way home, very convenient.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
That store is going be crazy busy with folks just killing time on the internet waiting for the train. Seems like it is going to closer to one big advertisement than an actual store. On the other hand, I could see a lot of folks just grabbing an Air on the way home, very convenient.

That's what all the Apple stores are about. It wouldn't surprise me if 60-70% of patrons are already Apple owners simply checking email or checking out a new app.

But eventually, those 30-40% who aren't Apple owners decide to buy something because they feel comfortable. And once they buy one, the others follow. Back when Apple first decided to open their own stores, I was a naysayer, even though I agreed that most other dealers presented Apple badly. But you can't aruge with massive success and they've maintained that success in spite of the fact that they've opened up selling in the mass merchants as well.

I think there's a fairly large body of commuters who walk (or ride) from their offices to Grand Central, are always in a rush and unless they visit an Apple store in a mall on a weekend, never get to an Apple store. This Grand Central store will service them and I think eventually will lead to big sales especially since a lot of those commuters live in the gold coasts of Westchester and Connecticut. But most commuters at Grand Central don't have a long wait - during rush hour, the trains leave every 15-20 minutes or so, so that could be an issue or it could help because one could simply wait for the next train.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Smart move if they open in time for black friday. I'd love to see this store though, it seems like it will be architecturally quite beautiful...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I see the opportunity for a new sport to come out of this store - called Apple Tossing. It could be played with as few as 2, as many as 20. One person (or more depending upon total number of "tossers" that you want to be stationed in the store while the other team members would be stationed down below in the station. The point of the game would be to grab and toss as many Apple products as they can to the team members waiting below.

Now of course, it's always better to be the catcher, where you simply need to catch the products, keep them from breaking and then run out of the station as quickly as you can. For the "tosser", chances are pretty good that Apple will not appreciate the game and may "detain" you and end the game. Extra points would be given for those tossers who themselves jump down (with products in hand of course) to be "caught" by team members below and not "caught" by Apple team members or NYPD team members either. Given the rules of the game are pretty loose right now, use of blockers is ok as is wire cutters.

There may only be one chance to play this game before the rules change, so let's see who forms the first team.

agnazem

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
This is going to be another beautiful NYC Apple Store. Grand Central Terminal is just so gorgeous, and I'm glad that a tasteful company like Apple will be the one occupying the space. I'm excited to see what they do with it.

Also, just a brief note. The rendered image included in the original post appears to be in a different location in GCT than the actual store that is under construction now. The real location is the landing visible on the left side of the rendered image, partially obscured by the massive stone column.

Anyway, can't wait to check this place out!

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Someday, I would love to see an Apple store with that few people in it! The ones in the GTA are always jam-packed.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I see the opportunity for a new sport to come out of this store - called Apple Tossing. It could be played with as few as 2, as many as 20. One person (or more depending upon total number of "tossers" that you want to be stationed in the store while the other team members would be stationed down below in the station. The point of the game would be to grab and toss as many Apple products as they can to the team members waiting below.

Now of course, it's always better to be the catcher, where you simply need to catch the products, keep them from breaking and then run out of the station as quickly as you can. For the "tosser", chances are pretty good that Apple will not appreciate the game and may "detain" you and end the game. Extra points would be given for those tossers who themselves jump down (with products in hand of course) to be "caught" by team members below and not "caught" by Apple team members or NYPD team members either. Given the rules of the game are pretty loose right now, use of blockers is ok as is wire cutters.

There may only be one chance to play this game before the rules change, so let's see who forms the first team.

First of all, the picture you're seeing above is only a rendering. We don't know if it will be set up that way. Second, ever since those planes hit the towers, Grand Central is one of the most heavily guarded public places in NYC.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
First of all, the picture you're seeing above is only a rendering. We don't know if it will be set up that way. Second, ever since those planes hit the towers, Grand Central is one of the most heavily guarded public places in NYC.

Are you saying the game is a no-go? Flying Apples and yelling people too much of a give-away that a "game" is happening?

Perhaps adding the element of a flash-mob of dancers choreographed to catch and bag Apples while diverting NYPD team members would be possible.

My bet, which is why I wrote this, is that someone will try playing the game. Crooks are often not the brightest of people - or they're extremely bright and wouldn't bother knocking off a store when they could simply run a Wall Street hedge fund, private equity company or large multi-national bank...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.