Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoboots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
just got my first iphone, i have the usual mummy issues of a greasy fingered clumsy toddler and a giant handbag full of the usual rubbish.
i dont mind a little bulk and loss of screen clarity, but i need durability and i cant sacrifice on signal.
i think my best combination is the speck candyshell and the sgp steinheil ultra oleophobic has anyone got a better combination in mind?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
"Best" is always highly subjective. Clarify what makes a case and screen protector better than the alternatives if you want suggestions. Don't assume that your preferences are universal.

JayJayJay

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2011
The Case Mate Tank (which I own) is without question, the most protective case on the market. It's big, and it's really ugly, but, if you want nothing short of the most protective, this would be it. I also own the Seidio Convert Combo, which I love, but lacks a built in screen protector (I don't like built in screen protectors) and, it's VERY protective. Either one of these cases I would take ahead of an Otterbox Defender, for example.

Like I said, though, if your ONLY consideration is how protective, it should be an easy choice. The Case Mate Tank is it.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
The best 'rugged' case in regards to style is the Otterbox Defender. Why? Because in conjunction to protection it's slim, has Apple logo cutout, is the more stylish rugged cases on the market. It's not as 'ugly' and bulky compared to the likes of the Tank and Survivor.

Since it's the more stylish rugged cases it's the type if case you can rock on the weekends when a rugged case isn't needed.

I have a white 4S with a gray/white Defender and it's very stylish for a rugged case.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
The Case Mate Tank (which I own) is without question, the most protective case on the market. It's big, and it's really ugly, but, if you want nothing short of the most protective, this would be it. I also own the Seidio Convert Combo, which I love, but lacks a built in screen protector (I don't like built in screen protectors) and, it's VERY protective. Either one of these cases I would take ahead of an Otterbox Defender, for example.

Like I said, though, if your ONLY consideration is how protective, it should be an easy choice. The Case Mate Tank is it.

The case mate tank, is indeed, a tank. BUT, the one thing that makes it indestructible, is it's possible downfall as well. It has a screen protector that opens up so you can use the screen (ingenious innovation). BUT, IF you drop it while that part is open, it completely defeats the purpose and leaves the screen exposed. And when do people drop their phones ? Typically while using the phone, when you'd have the screen protector open. Cool case though.

JayJayJay

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2011
The case mate tank, is indeed, a tank. BUT, the one thing that makes it indestructible, is it's possible downfall as well. It has a screen protector that opens up so you can use the screen (ingenious innovation). BUT, IF you drop it while that part is open, it completely defeats the purpose and leaves the screen exposed. And when do people drop their phones ? Typically while using the phone, when you'd have the screen protector open. Cool case though.

Not really a valid argument, cause, neither the case mate screen slider thingy, nor any other built in screen protector on the market is meant to prevent glass BREAKAGE. They are meant to prevent glass scratching. Glass scratching doesn't happen when you drop the phone. It happens in your pocket, or purse (if you are a woman), and, that is when you would have the screen slider closed.

If the Tank falls while the screen shield is open, so what? It has plenty of "lay on the table design" or "lip" which would prevent the screen from making contact with the floor.

twoboots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
does the tank need an additional film protector? the black and pink may be my option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.