PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5.0.2 Not Coming This Week?

MacRumors
Nov 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/21/ios-5-0-2-not-coming-this-week/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/ios5.jpg

Macerkopf.de (http://www.macerkopf.de/20111121-ios-5-0-2-update-vermutlich-nicht-mehr-diese-woche) follows up their original iOS 5.0.2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/16/ios-5-0-2-coming-soon-to-address-battery-issues-ios-5-1-to-bring-new-siri-integration/) report and now says the 5.0.2 update won't be coming this week, as originally reported.

According to the German site, ongoing issues with memory leaks are going to require further testing. The site had originally claimed 5.0.2 would be coming this week to address battery bugs that persist in iOS 5.

Article Link: iOS 5.0.2 Not Coming This Week? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/21/ios-5-0-2-not-coming-this-week/)

soco
Nov 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
I would have assumed this given that there have been no developer seeds. No?

iDuel
Nov 21, 2011, 02:53 PM
I would have assumed this given that there have been no developer seeds. No?

I doubt that they would have seeded 5.0.2 to developers due to it being such a minor update.

I'm not a registered developer, so I wouldnt know for sure.

soco
Nov 21, 2011, 02:55 PM
I doubt that they would have seeded 5.0.2 to developers due to it being such a minor update.
I would just think that since the point of the update was further battery fixing, they'd want a wide test bed.

eNcrypTioN
Nov 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd rather see them spend more time and get this right then put a rush on it.

TheSuperSteve
Nov 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
Apple never said it would come out this week. So i never assumed it would come out this week. As with the iPhone "5" and iPad "3" rumors, these things should be taken with a massive truck full of salt.

boonedocks
Nov 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
Wasn't Apple going to take this whole week off anyway?

fh-ace
Nov 21, 2011, 03:22 PM

Thinks so. just drove by their Cupertino Campus and it was really quiet with very few cars in the lots.:o

rwilliams
Nov 21, 2011, 03:24 PM

They've been pushing out a lot of app updates today.

Kilamite
Nov 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
I've had this battery issue since iOS 5 was released, and during that time, I've kind of gotten used to my new battery life. It'll get to the point soon where I no longer think my battery is draining quick because I can't remember what it was like before.

haXis
Nov 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
One more week with "No service" iPhone... wait, iPod. Guess it's time to buy a replacement

Swift
Nov 21, 2011, 03:39 PM
Things will be slow this week. It's Thanksgiving. A German mag might not be aware of that.

Welovelegend
Nov 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Never really had any battery issues with the new 4s. Average about 3-4 charges per week. Maybe I am not a heavy user or just got lucky... :)

trajen
Nov 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sprint 4S here. I had TERRIBLE battery life with 5.0, not very much better with 5.0.1 until I did "Erase all content and settings" last night. Today I have 2 hrs 53 min of usage and 13 hrs 8 mins of standby and am at 26% so I guess that's good? I think Sprint's terrible 3G speeds are part of the problem. I hope 5.0.2 addresses that issue.

milo
Nov 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
Makes sense to take their time considering 5.0.1 was rushed out so fast and didn't seem to improve much.

So how about making some improvements to the music app, particularly on iPad? And fixes to the iOS implementation of iTunes Match, there's a ton of stuff not working with that. Although it's possible some of that is server side but I suspect at least some of it will require an iOS update to really get right.

mingoglia
Nov 21, 2011, 04:45 PM
Never really had any battery issues with the new 4s. Average about 3-4 charges per week. Maybe I am not a heavy user or just got lucky... :)

I'm with you, though I charge every day. I'm typically at about 35% battery left when I go to sleep... that's with quite a bit text messaging, Facebook, and phone calls throughout the day. There's certainly heavier users than me, but so far I've been pleased with the battery life.

Macopotamus
Nov 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
:rolleyes:

what a surprise

floobie
Nov 21, 2011, 05:27 PM
No hurry on my part. Just today, my 4S was fully charged at 7:00. I used it to listen to music, read a bit with the Kindle app, send and receive texts throughout the day, play a bit of Angry Birds, random web surfing here and there, a few phone calls... and my office has been previously established to have rather spotty reception regardless of phone or carrier. It's now 16:23, and the battery is still at 86%. The only service... location, radio, or otherwise that I have turned off is bluetooth.

Clearly I'm one of the lucky ones... I still charge every day regardless, but those limits definitely aren't being tested.

Schmitty11
Nov 21, 2011, 05:33 PM
Meh, Im away from school for the week, and my home internet sucks, it can wait a week :p

HyperX13
Nov 21, 2011, 07:39 PM

My phone has gotten so bad. Hot to touch and I can see percentage get low. I am at 22 percent right now and phone was charged twice today.

Reddmanz
Nov 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
My 4s was quite bad to begin with, but I've definitely seen an improvement in battery life the past two weeks...

justperry
Nov 21, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think Sprint's terrible 3G speeds are part of the problem. I hope 5.0.2 addresses that issue.

How can Apple fix Sprints terrible 3G speeds, its Sprint fault not Apple's.

lymanicempire
Nov 21, 2011, 11:40 PM

It amuses me greatly when one vague rumor quashes another.

Ori
Nov 22, 2011, 12:43 AM

This should be a top priority and I'm disappointed it won't be out this week. What you gonna do? ;)
Hopefully next week. In the meantime, I'm topping up charge twice a day.

FFX
Nov 22, 2011, 03:49 AM
This is so awesome!

People here on the forum have been protecting Apple and their delay of the IOS:5 and the Iphone 5(4S). Saying "It's because Apple don't release half done products like Android and Windows."
And now we have the facts IOS:5 buggy as hell, making the Iphone 4S have the worst battery time yet, and loads of memory leaks.

Just hope all fans of Apple recall this when they bash other companies and their products.

/FFX (Sorry just had to point this out :P)

Menel
Nov 22, 2011, 06:58 AM
This is so awesome!

People here on the forum have been protecting Apple and their delay of the IOS:5 and the Iphone 5(4S). Saying "It's because Apple don't release half done products like Android and Windows."
And now we have the facts IOS:5 buggy as hell, making the Iphone 4S have the worst battery time yet, and loads of memory leaks.

Just hope all fans of Apple recall this when they bash other companies and their products.

/FFX (Sorry just had to point this out :P)It's a small vocal minority, because if your **** doesn't work, you are going to be vocal. If it does, you're off living your life.

Among the people I know in real life using iPhones, 14+ devices including ipads, none of them have issues with stability, battery life, etc.

distemp
Nov 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
This is so awesome!

/FFX (Sorry just had to point this out :P)

Why so srs?

sfjava
Nov 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
It's a small vocal minority, because if your **** doesn't work, you are going to be vocal. If it does, you're off living your life.

Among the people I know in real life using iPhones, 14+ devices including ipads, none of them have issues with stability, battery life, etc.

So true, I have no problem or issue with my iphone 4s, so do my family members.

Gasu E.
Nov 22, 2011, 09:39 PM
IOS 5.0.2 Not Coming This Week?

In other news, the world won't end, Greece won't balance its budget, the Super Committee won't agree on anything, Kenny won't survive, and the Rolling Stones won't retire-- all not happening this week!

marcusj0015
Nov 23, 2011, 04:19 AM
I hear rumors that they are fixing the memory leaks, if true Hallelujah!

g0mib0y
Nov 23, 2011, 04:21 AM
I have a brand new iPhone 4S and if I charge it before i go to bed (around 10PM) when I wake up at 6AM its down to 85% batterylife. I have wifi and push mail on but this never happend on my iPhone 4 pre iOS5. I can never go a whole day without charging. I'm usually doen to 10% at then end of a day. This is rediculus for such an expensive device and I am currently trying to trade it for an Android device with better batterylife.
I AM JUMPING SHIP APPLE!:mad:

Scriz
Nov 23, 2011, 08:55 AM
I listened to 30 minutes of music this morning on my way to work, sent 4 facebook messages, and 2 text messages and I'm down to 88%. From a full charge at 7:56 when I pulled it off of the charger. In roughly 2 hours I'm burning 6% an hour.

blankyash
Nov 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
Being an Indian I have to struggle with buying an iPhone.. its price $900 in India and whether its the new iOS 5.0.2 update or not i wn't get an iPhone!!
Source: Tech Dweller (http://techdweller.com/2011/11/buy-the-iphone-4s-in-india-and-you-burned-your-cash/)
Airtel (http://airtel.com)

jamesarm97
Nov 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
I listened to 30 minutes of music this morning on my way to work, sent 4 facebook messages, and 2 text messages and I'm down to 88%. From a full charge at 7:56 when I pulled it off of the charger. In roughly 2 hours I'm burning 6% an hour.

I had a full charge and took off the charger at 7:15am. By 8am I had only received about 6 text messages and did not even look or respond to them. I was down 8% with 15minutes usage in 45minutes time from a full charge. Did not make any calls, browse or anything but keep in my pocket.

Scriz
Nov 23, 2011, 09:15 AM
I had a full charge and took off the charger at 7:15am. By 8am I had only received about 6 text messages and did not even look or respond to them. I was down 8% with 15minutes usage in 45minutes time from a full charge. Did not make any calls, browse or anything but keep in my pocket.

Thats about par for the course. The battery life seems so inconsistent its silly. Yesterday I had great battery life with about 56% remaining after a full 9 hour work day, and today it seems like I'll hit that point by about Noon.

The battery life is still better than any Android I've ever had, though.

Yaboze
Nov 23, 2011, 10:05 AM
My battery life was definitely worse with 5.0, but seems back to normal with 5.0.1. It's hard to say exactly because I don't have hard numbers based on time idle, what apps I used and for how long with each version.

There's always room for improvement, I guess.

mikeglongo
Nov 24, 2011, 12:23 AM
I have a brand new iPhone 4S and if I charge it before i go to bed (around 10PM) when I wake up at 6AM its down to 85% batterylife. I have wifi and push mail on but this never happend on my iPhone 4 pre iOS5. I can never go a whole day without charging. I'm usually doen to 10% at then end of a day. This is rediculus for such an expensive device and I am currently trying to trade it for an Android device with better batterylife.
I AM JUMPING SHIP APPLE!:mad:

Good luck with that, having an android for 1 year, they are HORRIBLE wth battery life, and I mean HORRIBLE. This battery isn't all there, but it's definitely better than androids

kyjaotkb
Nov 25, 2011, 12:03 PM

My phone has gotten so bad. Hot to touch and I can see percentage get low. I am at 22 percent right now and phone was charged twice today.

Percentages often need fine tuning via software updates with Apple products. The last 10% will probably last you way longer than the first 10% that went off.

macosxuser01
Nov 26, 2011, 05:22 PM
Can't wait till this update. My battery life goes fast it seems like

ChadJK
Dec 5, 2011, 03:57 PM
Any word on an ETA for iOS 5.0.2?

Moe UK
Dec 5, 2011, 04:10 PM
It all seems to have gone very quite on that front.

ppnkg
Dec 5, 2011, 04:37 PM
It had better come out yesterday. Battery issues, cellular data/icloud issues, this thing is practically crippling the iphone. Not happy here.

redd herring
Dec 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
hi, im new here and i was just wondering why doesnt' Apple license it's ios system to every smartphone manufacturer in the world? wouldn't they make trillons in royalties and licensing alone? this wouldn't hurt Apple's own products at all. i mean, an iphone will still be an iphone, and even now there are some who are loyal to apple products and the rest who aren't. but i think a universal ios system can really work wonders. - just wondering.

estockme
Dec 5, 2011, 08:46 PM
hi, im new here and i was just wondering why doesnt' Apple license it's ios system to every smartphone manufacturer in the world? wouldn't they make trillons in royalties and licensing alone? this wouldn't hurt Apple's own products at all. i mean, an iphone will still be an iphone, and even now there are some who are loyal to apple products and the rest who aren't. but i think a universal ios system can really work wonders. - just wondering.

for the same reason you can't buy an asus eee running osx- it would suck. apple's whole design philosophy is based around quality hardware and software that are built for each other.

look at the wide range of experience you will find across PCs running windows or linux or android (*nix) phones--plus driver issues and the like. users give up a whole lot of control for a more consistent experience with apple. IOS is moving things even further in that direction by denying access to system files and itunes/iphoto/ilife/icloud manage your stuff for you now if they let you touch it at all. they also seem to be trying to make finder as frustrating and difficult as possible in lion.

the push is toward deep intrasystem integration with seamless performance, and this requires control.

redd herring
Dec 5, 2011, 11:20 PM
for the same reason you can't buy an asus eee running osx- it would suck. apple's whole design philosophy is based around quality hardware and software that are built for each other.

look at the wide range of experience you will find across PCs running windows or linux or android (*nix) phones--plus driver issues and the like. users give up a whole lot of control for a more consistent experience with apple. IOS is moving things even further in that direction by denying access to system files and itunes/iphoto/ilife/icloud manage your stuff for you now if they let you touch it at all. they also seem to be trying to make finder as frustrating and difficult as possible in lion.

the push is toward deep intrasystem integration with seamless performance, and this requires control.

Wow... thanks for the eye opener.