Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
experts !!
i am very new for mac, i have just bought Macbook pro, everything works gr8.
just one problem that i don't remember my Admin password. so i am not able to install anything. Also i am not able to recall my password from the password hint.

IS there a way to find out my password ?????/ If not then how do i install fresh copy ? so that i can set up new password.

I did try to install thru recovery ( Command key + R ) and try to install Mac OS Lion. but it overwrites everything, but keeps the same settings / password.

How do i install freshcopy ?
Please help..

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
experts !!
i am very new for mac, i have just bought Macbook pro, everything works gr8.
just one problem that i don't remember my Admin password. so i am not able to install anything. Also i am not able to recall my password from the password hint.

IS there a way to find out my password ?????/ If not then how do i install fresh copy ? so that i can set up new password.

I did try to install thru recovery ( Command key + R ) and try to install Mac OS Lion. but it overwrites everything, but keeps the same settings / password.

How do i install freshcopy ?
Please help..

To reset your password, boot into the grey CD that came with your computer. Put it in your cd slot and boot holding the 'c' key down, or hold the option key down until you see a list of drives to boot from, pick the CD.

Once the CD is booted do not reinstall the OS but instead there are pull down menus on the top bar. You want the one that says 'Reset Password'. This will reset your password, boot into your hard drive and it should ask you for a new password.

Hugh

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
To reset your password, boot into the grey CD that came with your computer. Put it in your cd slot and boot holding the 'c' key down, or hold the option key down until you see a list of drives to boot from, pick the CD.

Once the CD is booted do not reinstall the OS but instead there are pull down menus on the top bar. You want the one that says 'Reset Password'. This will reset your password, boot into your hard drive and it should ask you for a new password.

Hugh

If he has a new MacBook, it won't have a CD. You just skip that step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.