PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Air or go Pro?

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 05:15 PM
This is another one of those "should I" threads.

I have a 2011 11" base model 11" Air with 4GB of RAM and the 64GB of storage. This is my only computer. I have worked hard with keeping my iTunes library on an external drive and keeping major files off of the main storage. I am sick and tired of worrying about what I can and can't put on my computer.

So, the question is: Should I grab a 180GB SSD via OWC or sell the Air and get a base model 13" Pro?

I would have to add an SSD to the Pro. Either aftermarket or BTO. Once you go SSD, you can't go back.

Of course, people are going to say that it is all dependent on my needs. But put yourself in my shoes and let me know what you would do!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Kyllle
Nov 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
Why not get a 13" 128gb air? It would end up costing less than a 13 pro + ssd, and you get to keep the form factor of the air.

TheJing
Nov 21, 2011, 05:20 PM
I would go 13" Pro with 64GB SSD + 500GB in an optibay.

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 05:24 PM
Why not get a 13" 128gb air? It would end up costing less than a 13 pro + ssd, and you get to keep the form factor of the air.

Valid point. Very valid point.

Any idea on the performance of the 13" Air on a Thunderbolt Display? Right now, the 11" Air really gears up to power the Display. I just assumed the Pro would handle it in a more efficient and cooler way, therefore I had completely disregarded the 13" Air from my list of options.

Thanks.

----------

I would go 13" Pro with 64GB SSD + 500GB in an optibay.

What is your reasoning?

Thanks.

johnhurley
Nov 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
This is another one of those "should I" threads.

I have a 2011 11" base model 11" Air with 4GB of RAM and the 64GB of storage. This is my only computer. I have worked hard with keeping my iTunes library on an external drive and keeping major files off of the main storage. I am sick and tired of worrying about what I can and can't put on my computer.

So, the question is: Should I grab a 180GB SSD via OWC or sell the Air and get a base model 13" Pro?

I would have to add an SSD to the Pro. Either aftermarket or BTO. Once you go SSD, you can't go back.

Of course, people are going to say that it is all dependent on my needs. But put yourself in my shoes and let me know what you would do!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

If you can wait ... then just sit until march 2012 at which time future direction of apple's product line should be clear.

There's nothing wrong with the macbook pro's and a base 13 inch pro with an ssd upgrade is a very nice machine.

Lots of 2011 air's now starting to appear as refurbs on apple store ... they go pretty fast I think but they are out there.

Another option is find someone to trade with that has what you want and ante up some cash.

Maven1975
Nov 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
If you have another device for heaving lifting (Video Compression) and or not relying on it to be an all in one wonder, get the Air.

IMHO, the 13" MBP is garbage. Sure it has a faster CPU, but no dedicated graphics lower resolution screen and heavier. If your gonna go pro, 15 is the only option.

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 05:35 PM
If you have another device for heaving lifting (Video Compression) and or not relying on it to be an all in one wonder, get the Air.

IMHO, the 13" MBP is garbage. Sure it has a faster CPU, but no dedicated graphics lower resolution screen and heavier. If your gonna go pro, 15 is the only option.

I do not have another machine to do heavy lifting. I don't need a computer to do heavy lifting at all. Simply text documents and beginner iOS programming for me.

I figured the 13" Pro might have been more of a "future proof" idea in regards to app development. Maybe I am dreaming.

Thanks

Maven1975
Nov 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
I do not have another machine to do heavy lifting. I don't need a computer to do heavy lifting at all. Simply text documents and beginner iOS programming for me.

I figured the 13" Pro might have been more of a "future proof" idea in regards to app development. Maybe I am dreaming.

Thanks

It might be more future proof (Due to CPU), but I think the spread between the two over a couple of years, possibly less depending on your upgrade habits, is not worth the extra cash. If the HD size works for you in the Air, go for it.

odin2free
Nov 21, 2011, 06:02 PM
Go with the air for lighter stuff..
only problem i have with the air is that you cannot get that extra memory, your limited to 4gb if i knew and really searched the macbook air would have gone pro instead and a 15 inch, only with a 128ssd prob would have gotten the ssd from another place instead of apple though...

But im working with aperture and photoshop...so its intensive of course...
get to take baby steps though which is nice for learning patience...

calvol
Nov 21, 2011, 06:21 PM
Wait for the new MBP next spring.

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 06:46 PM
Wait for the new MBP next spring.

Thanks for the reply.

Frankly, the waiting game is not part of the plan. I am needing more storage and don't have months to wait. Therefore, I have narrowed it down to the above options.

cedwhatev
Nov 21, 2011, 07:12 PM
How many gigs of music do you need to hold?

Reason I ask is because I was worried about the same thing going from my 320GB HDD to my 128GB SSD, but it's worked out pretty good so far, I must say. I had alot of movies, music and TV shows on my old laptop, but I put all the show and movies on my WD External Hard Drive, and put all my music on my SSD, and still have over 100 gigs left.

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 07:15 PM
How many gigs of music do you need to hold?

Not a very sizable iTunes library. Overall, 20GB, which includes music, movies, apps and books. But that would grow if I actually had some space to take up.

jmoore5196
Nov 21, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure how you concluded that the 11" MBA has to work hard to power the TBD, but I won't argue the point.

The Achilles' Heel in your current machine is the size of the SSD. I'd opt for another 11" - if you like the form factor; 13" MBA if you don't - with a larger SSD.

As another poster has already said, moving to the 13" MBP is a downgrade in many ways. If you're going to go Pro, go to the 15" instead.

I daresay you'll miss the 11" form factor if you opt for something else. To my mind, the 11" i5 with 128GB is the sweet spot in the lineup ... thus far, it's handled everything I've thrown at it. Performance difference from my C2D machines is night-and-day in many instances.

cedwhatev
Nov 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, stuff like music, I'd keep on... but I've learned to keep my movies on the external drive, because really, if you want to watch a movie, you can just as well copy it onto your SSD then delete it. I've got over 600GB of movies and TV shows on my 1TB WD HDD. It just becomes too much after a while, no matter how big of a drive you have, and a line has to be drawn.

My advice would be sell your Air, and if you're willing to spend the money, go with the 128 or 256 SSD, because I understand where you're coming from. Or if it's cheaper, go with the 13" Pro and upgrade to the SSD. It's really moreso what you want to spend and what you want. IF I were in your predicament, I would sell my Air, and buy another 11" Air with 128 or 256, which I plan on doing eventually. :)

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure how you concluded that the 11" MBA has to work hard to power the TBD, but I won't argue the point.

The Achilles' Heel in your current machine is the size of the SSD. I'd opt for another 11" - if you like the form factor; 13" MBA if you don't - with a larger SSD.

As another poster has already said, moving to the 13" MBP is a downgrade in many ways. If you're going to go Pro, go to the 15" instead.

I daresay you'll miss the 11" form factor if you opt for something else. To my mind, the 11" i5 with 128GB is the sweet spot in the lineup ... thus far, it's handled everything I've thrown at it. Performance difference from my C2D machines is night-and-day in many instances.

I have a Thunderbolt Display, and I do not know if the Air is actually "working hard" to power the Thunderbolt Display but it sure gets loud after 15 minutes of browsing the web. The fan gets loud and the entire body gets surprisingly warm, so I just assumed the Air had a difficult time powering the big display.

I definitely know what you mean in regards to the power of the Air. I have no problems in regards to processing power, I was just worried about the heat of the machine when hooked up to the big display.

Do you have any real experience in regards to the difference in form factor between the 11" and the 13"? Is it quite different from day to day use?

Thanks for your advice!

----------

Yeah, stuff like music, I'd keep on... but I've learned to keep my movies on the external drive, because really, if you want to watch a movie, you can just as well copy it onto your SSD then delete it. I've got over 600GB of movies and TV shows on my 1TB WD HDD. It just becomes too much after a while, no matter how big of a drive you have, and a line has to be drawn.

My advice would be sell your Air, and if you're willing to spend the money, go with the 128 or 256 SSD, because I understand where you're coming from. Or if it's cheaper, go with the 13" Pro and upgrade to the SSD. It's really moreso what you want to spend and what you want. IF I were in your predicament, I would sell my Air, and buy another 11" Air with 128 or 256, which I plan on doing eventually. :)

I agree. Having the movies on the external is the plan. But even just my music would fill what is left of my 64GB of storage.

I guess I made a mistake when grabbing the 64GB....

cedwhatev
Nov 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
No worries, man... live and learn. I knew going into getting mine, that 64GB wouldn't do me, so I opted for the 128. You should be able to get most of your money back selling yours, as it's a 2011 and still pretty much brand new.

seepel
Nov 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have a Thunderbolt Display, and I do not know if the Air is actually "working hard" to power the Thunderbolt Display but it sure gets loud after 15 minutes of browsing the web. The fan gets loud and the entire body gets surprisingly warm, so I just assumed the Air had a difficult time powering the big display.

I have an 11" that I use with a 27" ACD all the time and I haven't experienced this... I do use click2flash though maybe flash is causing it? The graphics card is plenty to handle the display, I also ran the same display with the old 9400M in my previous MBP without a hitch.

Risasi
Nov 21, 2011, 09:03 PM
Not a very sizable iTunes library. Overall, 20GB, which includes music, movies, apps and books. But that would grow if I actually had some space to take up.

20GB? Yeah, it could grow, but how much between now and April of next year? The reason I asked is there are plenty of guys how have ghetto rigged micro SD cards into the Air for an extra 32GB or so. You could do that on the cheap and tide yourself over until next year, then decide. Just a thought...

Neolithium
Nov 21, 2011, 09:12 PM
TBH if your current MBA suits your needs speed wise I'd just get an OWC upgrade on it. There's no point in grabbing the next gen or next model size up just to get a bigger SSD in it, when you can actually just upgrade the puppy. That's just my take, everyone is different so no matter what it's best to tailor it to your own personal needs.

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 09:36 PM
TBH if your current MBA suits your needs speed wise I'd just get an OWC upgrade on it. There's no point in grabbing the next gen or next model size up just to get a bigger SSD in it, when you can actually just upgrade the puppy. That's just my take, everyone is different so no matter what it's best to tailor it to your own personal needs.

This was what I was thinking going into the creation of the thread.

The hardest part about getting a brand new machine is the fact that I have to sell my current 11" Air. Yes, I should be able to get almost full value. But selling it is never the easiest thing in the world.

----------

20GB? Yeah, it could grow, but how much between now and April of next year? The reason I asked is there are plenty of guys how have ghetto rigged micro SD cards into the Air for an extra 32GB or so. You could do that on the cheap and tide yourself over until next year, then decide. Just a thought...

Right idea, minus the fact that I have an 11" Air, which I think I specified earlier. SD Card slot would be very nice; another positive for the Air/13" Pro idea.

Risasi
Nov 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
Bummer, sorry I missed that.

---
P.S. How about something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Echo-backup-drive-LEHZX32GBSBNA/dp/B004X6AQZQ/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321936391&sr=1-19

Do you think you could live with it sticking out and maybe move your music to it for the time being? (I'm just looking for a way to give you breathing room for a few months until we see what comes out next year)

joshuaginter
Nov 21, 2011, 10:45 PM
Bummer, sorry I missed that.

---
P.S. How about something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Echo-backup-drive-LEHZX32GBSBNA/dp/B004X6AQZQ/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321936391&sr=1-19

Do you think you could live with it sticking out and maybe move your music to it for the time being? (I'm just looking for a way to give you breathing room for a few months until we see what comes out next year)

Wow. That thing is tiny! I could definitely live with something like that. Will consider it.

I appreciate the help.

Risasi
Nov 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
Ok, cool.

Just be sure to shop them. I'd read through reviews on a couple different brands. It looks like there are a few out there in the 32GB size that can be had for around $50-60.

VMMan
Nov 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
Just carry a USB flash drive?

The MBP 13" is not bad. You can add RAM and an SSD in an "OptiBay" so it is more like buying a pair of pants with an elastic "comfort" waist -- grows with you.

jamesr19
Nov 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
Wow. That thing is tiny! I could definitely live with something like that. Will consider it.

Using a USB flash drive is not a good idea. It seems worth it but they are very slow! Much slower than the SSD for data read/write.

If you're happy with the screen size of the 11" then your best option is probably OWC SSD as they have 6G/SATAIII ones which will speed up your laptop more. I make iOS apps/websites (among other bits of programming) and I don't think the 11" would be able to accommodate well for this (personally) due to not being able to program to the full potential when on the move so it might be worth you upgrading to the 13". I use the i7 and it's a beast..much better than the old 13"pro I had and the screen resolution is fantastic!!

jmoore5196
Nov 22, 2011, 07:09 AM
I've had the 13" 2010 MBA and both the 2010 and 2011 "ultimate" 11".

There's substantial difference in day-to-day use. While the footprint doesn't seem to be markedly different between the two, the 11" is a more useable machine when the portability factor is taken into account.

I know others have expressed difficulty with the small screen; it has yet to be an issue for me. The resolution is superb and the full-screen feature in Lion minimizes the amount of scrolling I do.

After using the 11" for a few weeks, the 13" seems positively huge by comparison. For almost everything I do, the 11" suffices.

I travel a good deal, and enjoy not having to take the 11" out of the bag for airline security.

Risasi
Nov 22, 2011, 07:20 AM
Using a USB flash drive is not a good idea. It seems worth it but they are very slow! Much slower than the SSD for data read/write.

If you're happy with the screen size of the 11" then your best option is probably OWC SSD as they have 6G/SATAIII ones which will speed up your laptop more. I make iOS apps/websites (among other bits of programming) and I don't think the 11" would be able to accommodate well for this (personally) due to not being able to program to the full potential when on the move so it might be worth you upgrading to the 13". I use the i7 and it's a beast..much better than the old 13"pro I had and the screen resolution is fantastic!!

The context is using USB flash as an interim MP3 repository. Are you saying 28MBPS is not fast enough for that intended use?

joshuaginter
Nov 22, 2011, 07:22 AM
I make iOS apps/websites (among other bits of programming) and I don't think the 11" would be able to accommodate well for this (personally) due to not being able to program to the full potential when on the move so it might be worth you upgrading to the 13".

In what ways does the 11" fall short? Is it something that, as a beginner, I can overlook for now because of my primitive knowledge? Or will it completely hinder my learning experience?

----------

There's substantial difference in day-to-day use. While the footprint doesn't seem to be markedly different between the two, the 11" is a more useable machine when the portability factor is taken into account.

I know others have expressed difficulty with the small screen; it has yet to be an issue for me. The resolution is superb and the full-screen feature in Lion minimizes the amount of scrolling I do.

After using the 11" for a few weeks, the 13" seems positively huge by comparison. For almost everything I do, the 11" suffices.

I travel a good deal, and enjoy not having to take the 11" out of the bag for airline security.

My girlfriend has the 13" Air. It is a beast next to my 11". I right away did not like how big it was, but as others were saying that the 13" Air might be my best choice, I found a way to justify it. Still, I have a hard time buying a machine that I'm not TOTALLY in love with.

kingtj
Nov 22, 2011, 07:59 AM
It's interesting how perceptions vary with these things.... I was shopping for an Air for my wife earlier this year, and went back and forth, back and forth, debating on the 11" or the 13" version.

After something like 45 minutes, I concluded the 13" made much more sense all the way around. Basically, you were getting a slightly faster processor, a display with much better resolution, more battery life and an SD card slot with the 13", all for not that much more money.

The 11" Air reminds me much more of Apple's direct response to the cheap PC netbooks out there. It definitely feels a lot smaller than the 13" when you alternate between the two units, but I think after a few days of regular use, you're going to get accustomed to whichever one you go with and the other will seem "too big" or "too small" by comparison.

If you remember back when Apple sold the Powerbook G4 notebooks, they offered a 12". Maybe that was really the ideal compromise in size? :)

I agree with the comments towards the original poster though, that he doesn't sound like someone who will make any real use of the extra computing power a 15" Macbook Pro would give him. His complaints are purely disk storage space related (with a side concern about the fans cranking up high and the machine getting rather warm when driving an external display -- which may be running at a much higher resolution than the native 11" LCD, explaining the extra demand on the computer).

I'd probably upgrade the SSD to the largest one from OWC he can afford and call it a day.

s2dio
Nov 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
I assume that the 13" Pro is a good machine. But the screen and portability and the hdd make it less attractive comparing with the Air. I have an ultimate Macbook Air 13", 2010 model myself.

If I had to make a decision like yours, I would consider the following options:
- stick with your 11" 64GB MBA until something new comes out next year (spring-summer)
- sell your MBA and get the base 128Gb SSD MBA 13"

but I think if you're comfortable with a 11" screen and the only thing that bothers you is storage space - take the first option and wait for something next, either a new, lighter Macbook Pro, or an Air. To ease the pain of storage restrictions, buy yourself a mini-sized flash drive for 32 Gb.

Good luck!

joshuaginter
Nov 22, 2011, 09:24 AM
I agree with the comments towards the original poster though, that he doesn't sound like someone who will make any real use of the extra computing power a 15" Macbook Pro would give him. His complaints are purely disk storage space related (with a side concern about the fans cranking up high and the machine getting rather warm when driving an external display -- which may be running at a much higher resolution than the native 11" LCD, explaining the extra demand on the computer).

I'd probably upgrade the SSD to the largest one from OWC he can afford and call it a day.

Funny. I had a 2009 15" MacBook Pro originally and downgraded to the 11" because I felt I would benefit more from a computer that I could truly use and take with me wherever I needed. You hit the nail on the head.

----------

but I think if you're comfortable with a 11" screen and the only thing that bothers you is storage space - take the first option and wait for something next, either a new, lighter Macbook Pro, or an Air. To ease the pain of storage restrictions, buy yourself a mini-sized flash drive for 32 Gb.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input.

I love the idea of having a 32GB flash drive. I just don't know if it'll be big enough to add all the things I will need in my iTunes library for updating my illiterate father's iPod (lol).

I am also worried about the amount of work the 11" Air has to do in order to power the big external display. Do you think this is something to worry about over the long term? My gut feeling was that Apple would not design the 11" Air in a way that would destroy the computer if you bought another Apple product. Maybe I just want to believe in the good side of Apple.

Again, thank you.

s2dio
Nov 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your input.

I love the idea of having a 32GB flash drive. I just don't know if it'll be big enough to add all the things I will need in my iTunes library for updating my illiterate father's iPod (lol).

I am also worried about the amount of work the 11" Air has to do in order to power the big external display. Do you think this is something to worry about over the long term? My gut feeling was that Apple would not design the 11" Air in a way that would destroy the computer if you bought another Apple product. Maybe I just want to believe in the good side of Apple.

Again, thank you.

Of course, having a 32gb or even 64gb flash drive is not as convenient as having a bigger SSD, but think of it as a temporary solution.

As regards the external display, I'd say "hell no it's incapable". It should drive the external display just fine, it's made to do that. If it has that functionality, it should carry that out. Otherwise, it's a defective unit. So don't stress about it too much, it's a computer that should help you accomplish your daily tasks, not a fragile toy princess that should sit on the shelf and be praised. And it's a truly great computer that is way ahead of the competition.

joshuaginter
Nov 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
For all those who are interested:

I have found a PHENOMENAL deal on a (essentially) brand new 13" Air.

Looks like I'll be dealing the 11" to get the 13" Air instead. It is by far the cheapest option and, going by the advice everyone has given me, probably the overall best choice.

Thanks again!

s2dio
Nov 23, 2011, 03:55 AM
For all those who are interested:

I have found a PHENOMENAL deal on a (essentially) brand new 13" Air.

Looks like I'll be dealing the 11" to get the 13" Air instead. It is by far the cheapest option and, going by the advice everyone has given me, probably the overall best choice.

Thanks again!

Well that's nice to hear. Although I have an Air 13" myself, it's interesting to know a bit more about that. Could you share some details about that phenomenal, magical, extraordinary deal you got there? Is it some Black Friday kind of deal?

George Miller
Nov 23, 2011, 03:56 AM
I'd suggest to go Pro. This will help you

joshuaginter
Nov 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
Well that's nice to hear. Although I have an Air 13" myself, it's interesting to know a bit more about that. Could you share some details about that phenomenal, magical, extraordinary deal you got there? Is it some Black Friday kind of deal?

I found a very slightly used 13" 2011 Air. Slightly used as in 1 week of minimal use. It was basically taken out of the box.

Grabbing it for $1000. I think I've done well.

Thanks again.

s2dio
Nov 24, 2011, 02:44 AM
I found a very slightly used 13" 2011 Air. Slightly used as in 1 week of minimal use. It was basically taken out of the box.

Grabbing it for $1000. I think I've done well.

Thanks again.

That's great! Good luck with your purchase.

uniforms
Nov 24, 2011, 05:11 AM
As someone who has owned every 13" MBA since it came out, and now both 11" MBA's, as well as the 13" MBP. Here is my take. I loved all machines, but the 11" is my favorite machine by far!!!!!! I too was running out of disk space, was using an external, but found that to be a pain. I ordered the 480 gig SSD from OWC and LOVE IT! It has made my 11" MBA rock! I no longer worry about disc space. It was so easy to put in. I bought the external case to house my old SSD.

With 4 gigs of Ram, you have plenty to do what you need for most things. I have mine hooked up to a Thunderbolt display and never hear the fans go. Maybe because of the SSD. I also got the ultimate to begin with so it may be the faster processor.

I know you will love your 13", but that 11" will always be in your heart. Don't be surprised if you go right back to it.

joshuaginter
Nov 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
As someone who has owned every 13" MBA since it came out, and now both 11" MBA's, as well as the 13" MBP. Here is my take. I loved all machines, but the 11" is my favorite machine by far!!!!!! I too was running out of disk space, was using an external, but found that to be a pain. I ordered the 480 gig SSD from OWC and LOVE IT! It has made my 11" MBA rock! I no longer worry about disc space. It was so easy to put in. I bought the external case to house my old SSD.

With 4 gigs of Ram, you have plenty to do what you need for most things. I have mine hooked up to a Thunderbolt display and never hear the fans go. Maybe because of the SSD. I also got the ultimate to begin with so it may be the faster processor.

I know you will love your 13", but that 11" will always be in your heart. Don't be surprised if you go right back to it.

Very interesting. Of course, the 480 GB SSD is over $1000, which is something I don't have. Nevertheless, this makes me think about the whole thing once more.

Would you spend money and upgrade storage or would you strictly trade up an 11" for a 13" for no money at all? Essentially, thats what my whole situation comes down to.

Thanks.

superstarmc
Nov 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
I went through this same thing for a month and I decided to get the 11" air and I've never regretted it. It can do everything I need it to do and go everywhere much easier. It's my main computer and I have a 40gig iTunes library.

joshuaginter
Nov 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
I went through this same thing for a month and I decided to get the 11" air and I've never regretted it. It can do everything I need it to do and go everywhere much easier. It's my main computer and I have a 40gig iTunes library.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 11" Air is all the computer that 75% of the population would need. It surpasses all of my processing needs and I love the portability.

But my question is whether I should upgrade the internals of my Air or sell it and get a different model. I think the 13" Air will not be too "unultraportable" next to the Pro, but I see the 13" staying on my desk a lot more than my 11".

Trav29
Nov 24, 2011, 10:38 AM

Does the battery life not bother you?

joshuaginter
Nov 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
Does the battery life not bother you?

This was another reason I was looking to go 13" Air/Pro.