PDA

View Full Version : Freezing MBA out of the box !!!

Ziad
Nov 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hi ,
I recently purchased a refurbished Macbook Air 13 inch 2010 model for 899$ and it arrived today, youhouuuu ... (this is the first Macbook I buy)
Buttttt ... during the 3 hours I have been using it, it freezed like 5 times :S does anyone have any solution or tips please
I will schedule an Appointment at the Genius Bar for tomorrow , fingers crossed !!!

Kyllle
Nov 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
Well what kind of applications are you running on it? If it is just light programs, such as web browsing and iTunes, there may be something wrong and you should take it in.

But without more info, it's kind of hard to say anything. If you're close to an Apple store, your best bet is to just take it in and see what they have to say.

convergent
Nov 21, 2011, 08:27 PM
I agree... unless you are running some very bizarre applications, it shouldn't be freezing. A frozen Mac is a very rare occurrence.

johnhurley
Nov 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi ,
I recently purchased a refurbished Macbook Air 13 inch 2010 model for 899$ and it arrived today, youhouuuu ... (this is the first Macbook I buy)
Buttttt ... during the 3 hours I have been using it, it freezed like 5 times :S does anyone have any solution or tips please
I will schedule an Appointment at the Genius Bar for tomorrow , fingers crossed !!!

Good luck ... if I were you I would also take some video if you can of it freezing before you go to the store to show the genius.

Murphy's Law would say that it may work while you are in the store and start misbehaving immediately after you are out the door.

What does an apple store with a NEW refurb coming in the door ( a 2010 ). They probably don't give you a new 2011 would they? ( Hoping for you that they do but ... probably not likely ).

TheRealDamager
Nov 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi ,

That is completely abnormal. I've had mine freeze twice in 6 months.

thekev
Nov 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
If the genius bar isn't of any help, I would suggest you return/exchange it early. There is no reason to keep something that might become a long term headache. This is quite unusual, but it could happen to any computer. Did it bring up the kernel panic window telling you to reset?

heyloo
Nov 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
If the genius bar isn't of any help, I would suggest you return/exchange it early. There is no reason to keep something that might become a long term headache. This is quite unusual, but it could happen to any computer. Did it bring up the kernel panic window telling you to reset?

^ My thoughts exactly. :) Good luck! If there's anything wrong with my 'new' computer, even if it's something relatively minor but have the 'potential' to cause me headaches, I usually just return it for a new one.

Ziad
Nov 22, 2011, 08:37 AM
Thank you all
I have an appoitment at the Genius Bar today at noon , will keep you posted ;)
The first freezing occured when i was registering it with apple even before i started using it !!!
And after all i was using was mail and safari, nothing weird...