PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy?

footprints07
Nov 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum and I need some advise on some issues about buying a 13" MBA/MBP.
I live in Australia but will be heading back to Singapore (never mind if you don't know where this tiny island is, but its part of Asia/South East Asia) on 15th Dec. The price of getting Apple products here in Australia is just too expensive, easily $200 more than US on any notebook. Since Black Friday sale is coming up, I am thinking of getting either from US or Singapore (price different isn't much, maybe about $10 to $20 if I get from Apple store). If I choose to buy from Singapore I will only get to see it after 18th Dec, but if I buy from US I can get it shipped to Australia, need to take into account US have better deals like Best Buy, MacMall and Amazon etc. Note: the prices between MBA 13" 128GB is - US apple store $1299 vs Singapore apple store (converted to USD) $1296

Questions
1. Anyone have shipped a mac from US to Australia before (just thinking about the reliability of shipping)? Want to know the service and how long it takes.
2. Is it worth it to buy from US or should I just buy it from Singapore, I do qualify for education discount.
3. I don't suppose there is further discount from edu + black friday?
4. This might be a preference question, for 13" is it better to get a MBA or MBP, I don't do much with my notebook, just surfing, simple documents, music and occasional movie.

Thanks everyone! :D

Kyllle
Nov 21, 2011, 08:17 PM
Well if you get it in the US, Best Buy has $200 off the MBA 13 right now, but it will probably only last for a few days, until black friday.

footprints07
Nov 21, 2011, 08:28 PM
Well if you get it in the US, Best Buy has $200 off the MBA 13 right now, but it will probably only last for a few days, until black friday.

Will definitely take a look that Best Buy :)

shadowjeff
Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 AM
im fairly sure the macs in Singapore won't be having anything for the black friday sale. They don't usually go on sale, but the authorized dealers there might bundles extra goodies together with it. Without sale and anything, it would be cheaper to get it from singapore, since when you leave the country you get to claim back GST on the laptop

halledise
Nov 22, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum and I need some advise on some issues about buying a 13" MBA/MBP.
I live in Australia but will be heading back to Singapore (never mind if you don't know where this tiny island is, but its part of Asia/South East Asia) on 15th Dec. The price of getting Apple products here in Australia is just too expensive, easily $200 more than US on any notebook. Since Black Friday sale is coming up, I am thinking of getting either from US or Singapore (price different isn't much, maybe about $10 to $20 if I get from Apple store). If I choose to buy from Singapore I will only get to see it after 18th Dec, but if I buy from US I can get it shipped to Australia, need to take into account US have better deals like Best Buy, MacMall and Amazon etc. Note: the prices between MBA 13" 128GB is - US apple store $1299 vs Singapore apple store (converted to USD) $1296

Questions
1. Anyone have shipped a mac from US to Australia before (just thinking about the reliability of shipping)? Want to know the service and how long it takes.
2. Is it worth it to buy from US or should I just buy it from Singapore, I do qualify for education discount.
3. I don't suppose there is further discount from edu + black friday?
4. This might be a preference question, for 13" is it better to get a MBA or MBP, I don't do much with my notebook, just surfing, simple documents, music and occasional movie.

Thanks everyone! :D

either buy direct from Apple Store Singapore

http://store.apple.com/sg

or try ship2me - very good, reliable and simply works:

http://www.ship2me.com/

s2dio
Nov 22, 2011, 02:23 AM
Singapore is a great place to buy Apple products. I live in Europe and the fully loaded Macbook Air would have cost me about $2600, whereas in Singapore it's about $2000. Pretty big difference, huh? Unfortunately, due to tax restrictions, it doesn't make sense for me to ship the products to Europe, because I'll have to pay additional 22% tax, so the only real way is to go to US/Sg myself, or to ask a relative or friend (as I did when I bought my MBA and the iPhone).

There were a couple of similar threads lately, check them in the forum. Locals say that there are no "ultimate" models in stock at the stores in Singapore if you are interested (and there are only Authorized Resellers, not "real Apple Stores").

Good luck!

footprints07
Nov 22, 2011, 04:17 AM
im fairly sure the macs in Singapore won't be having anything for the black friday sale. They don't usually go on sale, but the authorized dealers there might bundles extra goodies together with it. Without sale and anything, it would be cheaper to get it from singapore, since when you leave the country you get to claim back GST on the laptop

Hi, I know Apple online stores does have a one day yearly sale, I got my iTouch 2nd a couple of years back from the Australia. I can't remember clearly but I might have seen a similar discount from the Singapore apple site too. But nothing beats the sale prices from the US now.

Anyone purchase a Mac outside Australia and know the custom duties? Because if its going to be a couple of hundreds, I will get it in Singapore.
BTW, thanks for the input thus far :)