Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Tried searching but couldn't get a definitive answer. Was wondering if the current 2.5 Mac mini would be able to handle games such as World of Warcraft on high to ultra with respectable frame rates in raiding / populated cities scenario.

Cheers :)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Tried searching but couldn't get a definitive answer. Was wondering if the current 2.5 Mac mini would be able to handle games such as World of Warcraft on high to ultra with respectable frame rates in raiding / populated cities scenario.

I think you would be ok especially if you added more ram, considering some folks are playing BF3 (Battelfield 3) on the same machine with minimal lag.

I can play COD4 and COD5 on my Base Mini with 4GB or ram with minimal issues, also I am running Windows 7 64-Bit

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011

high to ultra? not unless you want to run 800x600 resolutions.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
thanks, was thinking high-ultra would be a far stretch for the mini

In addition to my first question, would the mini (2.5 2011) perform better than my current MBP?

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
thanks, was thinking high-ultra would be a far stretch for the mini

In addition to my first question, would the mini (2.5 2011) perform better than my current MBP?

I run the high-end Mac mini (with AMD discrete graphics) w/ the i7 upgrade and 4GB of RAM and World of Warcraft runs at 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution with graphics on 'Good' and I consistently see around 40 fps, save for a few select zones which appear more demanding (Howling Fjord in Northrend comes to mind). If I set the graphics to High, it stutters a lot more and drops below 30 fps quite frequently.

dakhein

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
NorCal, USA
I've played WoW at 1920x1200 with 6630 graphics (i5 and 4GB RAM), I had to reduce settings from High to Custom-Good to play it at native resolution. Argent dailies, especially the jousting was unplayable without lowering them.

I can't say for 17" MBPs but I haven't noticed problems running them on 15" MBPs at native resolution.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's great to receive feedbacks from fellow wow'ers.

I'm debating whether I should shell out for the Mac mini or just purchase a 24" monitor and run my mbp under clam shell mode. The 15" leaves me wanting for more screen real estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.