PDA

View Full Version : Dual-867Mhz G4 Processor Mobo?

livingfortoday
May 21, 2005, 10:01 PM
I have a dual-867Mhz G4 processor which was pulled from a MDD G4, and am trying to find a cheap motherboard that will take it. Can anyone tell me what motherboards will take this processor? I think any Quicksilver and MDD ones will, but other than that I'm lost. Will the Cube take it, out of curiosity?

Thanks in advance!

thecrunge
May 21, 2005, 11:28 PM
I think the processor card you have their will only work in a MDD motherboard that has a 133 Mhz bus (the one that uses DDR memory). They will not work in any other motherboard.

unixkid
May 21, 2005, 11:39 PM
why didnt u just keep the MDD?

livingfortoday
May 22, 2005, 01:34 AM
why didnt u just keep the MDD?

Well, I bought the processor separate, because I got a really good deal on it, and I figured I should try and build a Mac out of it, since my PowerBook is on its last legs, it seems.

As far as the 133Mhz Bus goes, I've read that the MDD, the Quicksilver, and the Digital Audio have that bus speed. The Cube and other G4's run at 100Mhz.

Would I be able to use any motherboard out of those three computers, do you think?

thecrunge
May 22, 2005, 02:04 AM
Well, I bought the processor separate, because I got a really good deal on it, and I figured I should try and build a Mac out of it, since my PowerBook is on its last legs, it seems.

As far as the 133Mhz Bus goes, I've read that the MDD, the Quicksilver, and the Digital Audio have that bus speed. The Cube and other G4's run at 100Mhz.

Would I be able to use any motherboard out of those three computers, do you think?
No you would not be able to use it in a quicksilver or digital audio because the MDD used a very different architecture. For example, the MDD used DDR2700 ram and the quicksilver + Digital audio used PC133 sdram.

RGunner
May 22, 2005, 09:56 AM
the MDD Processors will ONLY work in MDD logic boards. the layout of the CPU board prohibits this from being phyically installed in a QS or DA logic board. further, you must use a 133 MDD board as a 167 board will run the CPU modules at the ratio of 6.5 or near 1100MHz (most likely will not go...).

The QS and DA's, and Sawtooths are much more versatile when it comes to processor changes.