PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade my Pro to SSD or get an Air?

SmithErick
Nov 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
I know there has probably been a few of these threads. I just got a pre owned Mid 2010 13" pro about 8 months ago. I like new things and want an air for the size of it. Convince me the pros of the air vs the pro.

I am thinking about getting an OWC SSD for the Pro and just keep the pro as the main computer for travel, etc.

Then again the Air is $200 off at Best Buy.....

TheRealDamager
Nov 22, 2011, 09:20 AM
Really just depends on how much you value small size and light weight. If you travel extensively, it's hard to beat the air. If you rarely carry your machine around, then stick with the Pro and add the SSD.

joshuaginter
Nov 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
I am on the other side of this argument and have a decent thread going on my question. Should I upgrade my Air or go with a Pro?

Of course, it all depends on your needs. But in regards to my question, I still use optical media enough to justify the purchase of the external Superdrive for my Air. Having the optical drive on the Pro would be a huge bonus for me.

Also, battery life (especially on the 11") would be another reason to stay on the Pro side. I have a hard time getting my 11" Air through a 4 class day at university.

However, on the Air side of things, there is nothing like throwing the laptop in your backpack and not feeling it.

Let us know what you decide.

SmithErick
Nov 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
I had a 2007 Macbook pro, I have this mid 2010 Macbook pro, I think its time for me to get an Air. If a newer air comes out I will sell the current air and move on to the newer one. I don't travel much as I am an independent contractor for a reseller of Verizon Wireless, but I want to be able to take the laptop with me to work everyday and the pro would get old to lug around.

Battery life for me is the same 13" air vs 13" pro. I also have an iPad 2 i normally use for web browsing and games but the iPad can't do it all sometimes.

tanhm
Nov 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
firstly, I upgraded 128 SSD for my MBP. After that, I decided to get MBA and now I am extremely happy with my choice. :rolleyes: