Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I'm tired of dragging my heavy laptop to class every day and would like to find a lighter weight alternative. I'm especially interested in Keynote since I use it for almost all of my lectures.

Before anyone suggests the iPad: I'm saving up for one but am looking for an interim solution. I've been attempting to entice the department dean into adopting textbooks available in ebook form... With any luck, I'll have a much lighter load in the Spring.

daooof

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
What is your question?

+1

You didn't actually state a question. I'll just assume that you were going for "is it viable on the iPhone?"

That really depends on your adeptness as a typer and your ability to work small. You won't be able to access the many features that are EASILY accessible on the iPad, because your surface area is so small, but as a ~20 year old, I'm sure you can pick it up quite easily.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I just wanted to get some general opinions since I've only seen comments regarding iWork on the iPad and nothing about the iPhone.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Pages, Numbers & Keynote are universal apps, but using it on that wee iPhone screen & keyboard won't be fun.

If you plan to do lots of typing; no touchscreen keyboard is very pleasant. An 11" MBA might very well be the perfect school companion.

If you're just reading PDFs the iPad is fine, iPhone OK (but your eyes will likely fatigue in short order)

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
+1

You didn't actually state a question. I'll just assume that you were going for "is it viable on the iPhone?"

That really depends on your adeptness as a typer and your ability to work small. You won't be able to access the many features that are EASILY accessible on the iPad, because your surface area is so small, but as a ~20 year old, I'm sure you can pick it up quite easily.
Setting aside the screen size issue for the moment, are the features the same on both the iPhone and iPad, or is there added functionality by using the iPad?
BTW, I'm no longer in my twenties, but I don't have any issues typing on my phone.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Pages, Numbers & Keynote are universal apps, but using it on that wee iPhone screen & keyboard won't be fun.

If you plan to do lots of typing; no touchscreen keyboard is very pleasant. An 11" MBA might very well be the perfect school companion.

If you're just reading PDFs the iPad is fine, iPhone OK (but your eyes will likely fatigue in short order)

I still plan to do my main prep work at home on my MacBook, but I would like to have something available for quick emergency edits. Unfortunately, I do not have an office on campus, so I have to carry everything with me.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Setting aside the screen size issue for the moment, are the features the same on both the iPhone and iPad, or is there added functionality by using the iPad?
BTW, I'm no longer in my twenties, but I don't have any issues typing on my phone.
Let's just say that you're much better off with the iPad. :cool:

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Thanks. I actually have enough money to buy now, but I don't want to risk jinxing myself by making a big ticket purchase before my contract is renewed.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks. I actually have enough money to buy now, but I don't want to risk jinxing myself by making a big ticket purchase before my contract is renewed.

Yeah, I'd wait for the iPad 3. The iPad has no iWork functionality that the iPhone doesn't as far as I know, but it's much more comfortable to use. I don't own an iPad so I do most of my typing on my Macbook and just use my iPhone for minor edits. It has nowhere near the functionality of iWork for Mac, but it's much more convenient.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
While iWork for the iPhone has all the same functionality as it does on the iPad, it lacks the practicality. It is far better suited to the iPad. If your goal is to open an iWork document that you synced for reading or a quick edit, then you are fine. But for actual document creation, I don't think you are going to find the iPhone a suitable format. I don't think you are going to be happy going that route, but I can appreciate the dilemma.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I ended up downloading Keynote. The sad thing is.... I thought it was a lot better/easier to work with on my phone than PowerPoint (iWork for OSX disc has gone AWOL) on my MacBook.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Well, I need to buy a 30-pin to VGA adapter for my phone... I tried emailing a PowerPoint version of my presentation to the classroom computer and ended up losing almost all of the formatting.

If I wanted to use AirPlay in the classroom, what equipment would I need to beg and plead the IT department to get? I'd really like to be able to walk around my classroom and use the iPhone and/or iPad as a tool for interaction.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I don't think our "smart" classrooms have HDMI connectors.... Just VGA and USB.

I think my brother has an Apple TV, so I can at least test it before making a buying decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.