Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coastalmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
After reading about the awesome CS that Otterbox provides and the deplorable CS that Lifeproof provides, I went with the grey/white Otterbox Defender 4s for my white 4s. Big mistake. Upon opening it there is a defect where the bottom flap will not stay shut so it opens up all the time, or just stays open, negating one of the benefits of the case. CS won't replace case, tells me I need to wait until they get replacement pieces in, could be 2 weeks, could be whenever. GREAT. I have also now discovered that the microphone hole is in the wrong place as well on the case. Really shoddy manufacturing for something so expensive. If the Customer Service were worth it I'd stick with it but it really sucks to be told that you need to tape your brand new case together and deal with it.

SO

What are other similar products along the lines of the Otterbox Defender 4s? I would like a white(ish) case (that was the draw of the grey and white one). I have a toddler so need good protection. Has Lifeproof resolved their CS issues yet? Thinking about that. Hoping maybe I can resell the 4s whenever Otterbox feels like sending me a working case, which will offset the cost of jumping to another expensive case.

Thanks!

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Speck Candyshell cases are a lot like the Commuter. My wife loves her white/raspberry one.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
I don't think it's bad customer service if they don't have the part in stock. If they did have it In stock and still wouldnt replace it then I would agree with you. I have never had a bad experience with Otterbox's CS. Let them put in the order and buy yourself another case. You could always return it within 30 days depending on where you get your new case.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think it's bad customer service if they don't have the part in stock. If they did have it In stock and still wouldnt replace it then I would agree with you. I have never had a bad experience with Otterbox's CS. Let them put in the order and buy yourself another case. You could always return it within 30 days depending on where you get your new case.

I agree. Otterbox has always made good. If they had replacements I guarantee they would send them to you.

coastalmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Have you tried sliding the bottom flap in instead of pushing it in? It won't pop in, it will slide in and lock easily.

Yes. They tried that at the ATT store as well.

I think I'm steamed that they won't ship me a replacement case. Include a prepaid label and I'll ship the bum one back, I'm not trying to skim them for another case. I've sent them pictures of the defect. But to just say that well, we have to send you a piece only, and who knows when that will come in, when on their facebook wall they seem to be sending people completely new cases a year after purchase, THAT makes no sense to me.

I have a friend that has the Candyshell. It leaves the screen too open imo. Great for people without small children, and it makes for a really beautiful case, but I need ultimate protection. I live in fear of my kids getting ahold of my phone, LOL

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes. They tried that at the ATT store as well.

I think I'm steamed that they won't ship me a replacement case. Include a prepaid label and I'll ship the bum one back, I'm not trying to skim them for another case. I've sent them pictures of the defect. But to just say that well, we have to send you a piece only, and who knows when that will come in, when on their facebook wall they seem to be sending people completely new cases a year after purchase, THAT makes no sense to me.

I have a friend that has the Candyshell. It leaves the screen too open imo. Good for kids without small children, and it makes for a really beautiful case, but I need ultimate protection. I live in fear of my kids getting ahold of my phone, LOL

There's an older version that's why they have stock replacements to send out.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Always had great luck with their CS as well. Sent them a pic of the case and they mailed it right out. The only issue I had was, once they failed to send it, so i called and they remedied the situation and sent me one overnight, then the original replacement showed up.

Called them and they said to keep them both.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I don't know, OP. I had problems with one of my Commuters, chatted back and forth with one of their CSR's, and within a week, he'd sent me not one but TWO replacements of the same case (and let me keep the original one).

Excellent customer service here. Maybe try it again and you'll get another CSR?

coastalmama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Interesting to hear that my case seems so uncharecteristic of their customer service. I have also followed up with an email to their support as well and have not received an reply there at all. So weird.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't know, OP. I had problems with one of my Commuters, chatted back and forth with one of their CSR's, and within a week, he'd sent me not one but TWO replacements of the same case (and let me keep the original one).

Excellent customer service here. Maybe try it again and you'll get another CSR?

They're using a different manufacturer for the rubber/silicon part. I like the new version much better. This is probably the reason there has been more complaints than usual.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Case mate tank

In my opinion the Tank isn't as classy as the Defender. The Gunmetal gray/white Defender rocks with a white iPhone, shows the glory of the iPhone better than the Tank.

I wouldn't put the Defender in the same category as the Tank, Ballistic, Seidio Rugged.

TittsMcGee

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Calvert County, Maryland
New to iPhone!

Have you tried sliding the bottom flap in instead of pushing it in? It won't pop in, it will slide in and lock easily.

I just bought my black iPhone 4 last night and I also purchased the grey/pink otterbox. They lady at Verizon put it on for me but I just noticed the bottom flap wasn't closing. I googled it and it brought me here. I then tried sliding it on as you said and it is shut and has not come open yet. Thanks for the help. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.